Twisting Links

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Twisting Links

This is the way I make my links. The first pic is my stuffer I have had for a long time. Only problem is its outta round so I will be replacing it with a vertical this time.

This shows where I mark off my lengths I prefer for sizing my links.

Here is my first twist with the starting edge at the left end of my board. I pinch the 2nd and last mark,

Then I lift and twist away from my body or you can twist towards you, just always twist the same way.

Then just repeat the first steps as shown in the next pic.

So for you beginning sausage makers I hope this will help. Oh yea this is Sweet Itailian sausage this time. The casings are sheep casings in the 20 to 22mm size.
    If You Can Not Stand Behind Our Troops,
    Please Feel Free To Stand In Front Of Them

man i gotta get a sausage grinder and stuffer....they look really good and easy to make...thanks for the tips
    Mike
    Oklahoma City
    22.5 Generic (gettin ready to be dismantle for the Drum) Kettle Grill
    Weber 22.5 Performer
    GOSM 3405gw
    Boomer Sooner Drum
    Maverick ET-732
    Various Cast Iron Skillets and Dutch Ovens
    A-MAZE-N 6X6 Smoker

Comment

have to admit i've always twisted as i stuff.
      so do you reckon it's easier/quicker to stuff then twist ?

like the measuring board - good, simple idea
      Made In England - Fine Tuned By The USA
      Just call me 'One Grind'

Comment

Then I lift and twist away from my body or you can twist towards you, just always twist the same way.

I thought you were supposed to alternate the direction after each link or are just twisting every other link?
        sigpic

GOSM/propane
        UDS (Cam)/lump
        22.5 Weber Kettle/lump
        Weber Genesis/propane
        Camp Chef Pro 90/ propane

Comment

Yes twist every next link the opposite direction, one towards you and the next away from you. This keeps the links form untwisting when you let them rest.
          Col. Big Guy

Comment

CA- I twist them when I am done stuffing. I think its much easier and faster as I am making 2 links at a time, and thanks for the points.

Big Guy if you look you will see I am making 2 links per twist hence not needing to alternate twisting. Now you can alternate but with this method its not needed. If you do no big deal.

In my younger days we as kids got to watch are butchers in action. From putting down the pigs and cows to final meat show case. this is how I remember doing them but I could never get to the speed they did it. Seems like they would do a 50lb batch and twist them in matter of minutes.
            If You Can Not Stand Behind Our Troops,
            Please Feel Free To Stand In Front Of Them

Comment

I agree with JS2, it is a lot easier to twist after the casing is stuffed. Just make sure you don't overstuff the casing which will cause problems when you start to link it. Also agree with his statement that by twisting every other one in the same direction you are cutting your linking time in half. Also if you understuffed a casing you can add a few more twists to the link to "plump up" the link.

Comment

Working...
              X