Yuengling’s Ice Cream.....MMMMMM

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Yuengling’s Ice Cream.....MMMMMM

I will be looking for it when I head out east this summer... I would be all over the Black and Tan....cant be that bad folks...

— POTTSVILLE — Ice cream with a familiar name soon will be hitting the shelves of local grocery stores after the brand was revived.

Yuengling’s Ice Cream shares a name and a founder with the famous Schuylkill County brewery, said Rob Bohorad, chief operations operator for the ice cream brand. Production of Yuengling’s Ice Cream first began in 1920 by Frank D. Yuengling, owner of D.G. Yuengling & Son Brewery, as a response to Prohibition.

However, in 1935, with the end of Prohibition, the beer and ice cream divisions split, leaving one Yuengling — Frederick G. Yuengling Sr. — to run Yuengling Dairy Products, which made ice cream — and another Yuengling — Frank D. Yuengling — to run the brewery. In 1985, after 65 years of production, the ice cream company shut down.

But that wasn’t the end of the story. Bohorad said he and David Yuengling, son of Frederick G. Yuengling Jr., came up with the idea of reopening the ice cream company. They decided to sit down with brewery owner Dick Yuengling to discuss branding issues, Bohorad said.

“We recognized that Dick has done an incredible job building that brand,” he said. “He immediately said, ‘You have my full support. ... But do me a favor and make a quality product.’”

They have been doing just that, working on producing a line of 10 ice cream flavors under the Yuengling name, which range from traditional flavors like vanilla and chocolate to more creative flavors like black and tan and vanilla fudge chunk with pretzels.

“We’ve had a lot of ice cream recently,” Bohorad said.

He said he’s a big ice cream fan and has enjoyed creating the new flavors and combinations.

“We tasted all of them,” he said.

Valley ice cream fans also will be able to test the relaunched brand.

Yuengling’s Ice Cream will be in Weis Markets’ stores within the next two weeks, Weis spokesman Dennis Curtin said. The ice cream will be in Giant Food Stores by the end of February, spokesman Chris Brand said.

The greatest part of reopening the plant for David Yuengling has been hearing from people about what the ice cream has meant to them, Bohorad said.

“A lot of people have great memories of the factory across from the brewery,” he said. “The locals are excited to see this starting back up again.”
    Brian

Certified Sausage & Pepper Head
    Yoder YS640
    Weber Genesis
    Weber 18.5" Kettle
    Weber Performer
    Misfit # 1899

sigpic

Can't say I ever heard of it much less try any.. Sounds like a great history too.. Maybe one day it will be available here in the DFW area...
    Ken

I Should Have Been Rich Instead Of Being So Good Looking

Comment

Originally posted by barkonbutts View Post
      ... I would be all over the Black and Tan....
      I'd buy that by the keg!
      Mike
      Life In Pit Row

Comment

I've made and have a couple recipes for Guinness ice cream. Good stuff. A little reminiscint of coffe ice cream.
        sigpic

Beef. It's whats for dinner.

Comment

Working...
        X