Smoking Oysters?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Smoking Oysters?

Got a jar of smalls, in the fridge a buddy left in da man cave.... He said do whatever you want with em

I think I have smoked some in me earlier years but honestly cant remember

Was thinking of a wet brine, overnight, like fish, and slow smoking until I got the texture I was after...... Any thoughts?
    sigpic

Originally posted by Fishawn View Post
    Got a jar of smalls, in the fridge a buddy left in da man cave.... He said do whatever you want with em

I think I have smoked some in me earlier years but honestly cant remember
    The tough part is getting them lit. What type of wrapper do you have? Candela? Maduro??????

(never mind me, I'm what one might call, inebriated)

Not to mention the occasional campfire

My --->
    Paul

Comment

Originally posted by THE ICEMAN View Post
      The tough part is getting them lit. What type of wrapper do you have? Candela? Maduro??????

(never mind me, I'm what one might call, inebriated)
      LOL, too damn funny

I plan to move to the NW in the future, can't wait to eat really fresh seafood cuz I'm gonna be really hungry.

Comment

Thanks for the help!!!! I knew I could rely on you guys!!!

..... ICE, me man, it was a Macanundo wrapper
        sigpic

Comment

ZigZag Orange.

Just sayin'.....

Comment

I've always smoked/grilled them on the half shell fresh shucked. Little butter, lemon, garlic, Parisian.... Butt no too long they turn into rubber.
            Mark
            sigpic

"Likes smokey old pool rooms, clear mountain mornins. Little warm puppies, children and girls of the night"?
            Smoked-Meat Certified Sausage Head!

Comment

Originally posted by Mark R View Post
              I've always smoked/grilled them on the half shell fresh shucked. Little butter, lemon, garlic, Parisian.... Butt no too long they turn into rubber.
              Yeah, dat's the way I do them... on the half shell... that is if they even make it to the smoker.

Drinks well with others

~ P4 ~

Comment

I am interested in the answer too, but it sounds like Fish got them already shucked in a jar.
                Am I reading that wrong?
                If that's how you get them, it's kinda hard to do them on the Half-shell.
                I am no seafood expert.

Bear
                Vietnam Vet---9th Inf. Div. Mekong Delta (1969)
                Easy to follow Step By Steps: Pulled Cured Boston Butt Ham and Buckboard Bacon--Smoked Salmon-- Bacon-On-A-Stick--Bacon (Extra Smokey)--Boneless Cured & Smoked Pork Chops & CB--Canadian Bacon & Dried Beef--Ham Twins (Double Smoked)--Double Smoked Hams X 4--Bear Logs (All Beef--Unstuffed)--Smoked Bear Loaf (All Beef-Mild Hot)--Prime Rib (My Best ever)--Another Prime Rib--Chucky (Pulled Beef)--Twin Chuckies--Pork and Beef Spares--Rare Beef (for Sammies)--Raspberry Chiffon Pie---

Mom & 4 Cub litter---Potter County, PA:

Comment

Wish I could help. I really don't like them smoked but love them on the half shell, raw, and some horseradish.

I love shellfish but none of it smoked.....
                  Pete
                  Large BGE
                  Char Broil Tru-Infrared Commercial series

Comment

Fish Cat!...If they ain't on the half shell...
                    Sunset Eagle Aviation
                    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Sunse...888015?fref=ts <... We sure could use some likes!

Comment

These are in the jar, shucked..... I have bought smoked oysters around here & had some that were fanfrickentastic! and others that were OK, not the greatest.

I'm looking to brine them & smoke them...... Not fry, BBQ, grill, 1/2 shell, etc.

They take on a nice golden brown color and firm up nicely
                      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Fishawn View Post
                        These are in the jar, shucked..... I have bought smoked oysters around here & had some that were fanfrickentastic! and others that were OK, not the greatest.

I'm looking to brine them & smoke them...... Not fry, BBQ, grill, 1/2 shell, etc.

They take on a nice golden brown color and firm up nicely
                        Ok, since the hint wasn't clear enough. If they are in a jar I would use them in a gumbo, soup or saute them. If they are in a jar they have been rinsed, not gonna have the same taste as fresh shucked.
                        I guess you'd have to put them in a pan or something as they be a mess onna grillle.
                        Mark
                        sigpic

"Likes smokey old pool rooms, clear mountain mornins. Little warm puppies, children and girls of the night"?
                        Smoked-Meat Certified Sausage Head!

Comment

No need to brine or do anything with them. They will loose a bunch of weight, so a small jar won't yield much. I'd put them on a Q-mat or a cookie sheet, foil pan or something. We use alder, apple, or peach. We usually buy pre-shucked right from the oyster farm for smoking and then we can them (pressure canner).

Fresh smoked we do as others have mentioned on the half shell.
                          Dirtsailor A.K.A. Case

GOSM, (4) Mini-WSM, Mini-ZA, UDS, 1967 Casa Q, StoveTec Rocket Stove, 12" & 18" AMNTS, (2) Mav ET732,
                          iGrill Therm

Comment

Post pics. I LOVE smoked oysters and would someday love to make some of my own.

Comment

http://www.smokingmeatforums.com/t/1...rs-ever-recipe

Comment

Working...
                              X