Baklava

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Baklava

I had mentioned in a few threads that I wanted to try my hand at baklava. I chopped the nuts consisting of smoked pecans, almonds, pistachios, along with cinnamon, allspice, and some sugar for the innerds. I buttered the pan and each of 8 individual sheets of phyllo dough.

I added 1/3 cup of filling, then buttered up e more layers of dough. Repeat. Repeat.

I noticed I was running out of butter and could not make another layer of filling, so I cut it a little short and just buttered up the last 8 layers.

I ran a shark knife about 3/4 of the way through the layers to assist in cutting when its all done. I read where this may help from the bottom getting too soggy. In the 350°F oven for 50 minutes.

I made the syrup from water, sugar, honey, and added a cinnamon stick and a slice of orange zest. I brought the syrup to a boil and simmered for 10 minutes. Remove from heat and allow the syrup to cool.

When the baklava timer went off I pulled the baklava from the oven and set on a cooling rack. I removed the cinnamon stick and the orange zest and then poured the syrup over the layers and allowed it to absorb. It looks and smells wonderful. It is supposed to sit 4-8 hours but I don't know if I can wait that long.

for dat shit! I love that stuff. And then pistachios! Killin me
    sigpicSmoke meat, not crack
    Sullys bangin' ass jerkey-
    Pepperoni-Pernil-Spicy snack stix-Ryans crab cakes-Dip for smoked fish-Lox-Beer brittle-Pizza crust-Spinach and artichoke dip-Garlic link-Pizza Links-

Comment

Thats Money!

No way I'm waiting more than 12 seconds
      sigpic

Comment

Ooohhhh, it's tasty. The top is light and crunchy, sweet but not overly sugary if you know what I mean.

It would be even better if I had more butter to add more layers of nuts. But for my first attempt, I am happy. My funny little honey likes it, so in the words of Krusty the Klown, "It's not just good...it's good enough."

Comment

Um..... Uh...... ...... I think I want that NOW!
          sigpic

Comment

That looks absolutely perfect. I've never tried making baklava, but have enjoyed it on occasion. One more for the bucket list.
            sigpic
            Smoke Vault 24

Comment

Outstanding, AJ!
              Yoder YS640, Weber Performer Platinum, Weber OTG, Weber Q220, Traeger BBQ125 Executive
              ThunderDome Vortex, Smokenator 1000, GrillGrates, A-Maze-N Tube Smoker (6" & 12")
              Weed Dragon Torch with Squeeze Valve (VT2-23SVC), Looftlighter, BernzOmatic High Intensity Torch Head (TS8000)
              Tappecue, Maverick ET-732 (x2), Maverick PT-100

SousVide Supreme, VacMaster VP112 (chamber), VacMaster Pro305 (suction)

Comment

loving the cinnamon and orange syrup

have some
                Made In England - Fine Tuned By The USA
                Just call me 'One Grind'

Comment

I love that stuff...very nice!!
                  Brian

Certified Sausage & Pepper Head
                  Yoder YS640
                  Weber Genesis
                  Weber 18.5" Kettle
                  Weber Performer
                  Misfit # 1899

sigpic

Comment

Oh my!!! That is just lovely!! Great job!!

Comment

Very nice! I love the stuff but never make it...I would eat the whole pan.
                      Becky

https://www.facebook.com/jennie.r.smith.77?ref=tn_tnmn

Weber 22.5" One Touch Gold Kettle - Black
                      Weber 22.5" One Touch Gold Kettle - Copper
                      1993 Weber 22.5" Master Touch Kettle - Red
                      Weber 18.5" One Touch Silver Kettle - Budweiser
                      Weber Smokey Joe
                      Multiple Dutch Ovens and other Cast Iron
                      Pink Thermapen
                      Purple Thermapen

Comment

That is some killer looking baklava! I've always wanted to try my hand at it, but never had the guts. Sure looks and sounds like you nailed it. Might have to give it a try. for pulling this off!
                        sigpic

Beef. It's whats for dinner.

Comment

Thanks all, you are too kind.

If you have been wanting to try it, go for it. The biggest tips I can give are:

1. Keep the package of dough moist while you are buttering up a layer and it goes pretty easy. Cover the un-used stack of dough with cellophane and a damp towel. Once it dries up, its a pain in the toucas to separate the sheets.

2. Don't over butter the layers. Specifically the base layers.

Comment

Boy o boy does that ever look good Now I'm going to have to find some of this somewhere since I'm too lazy to make any myself. I'm not a big fan of working with phyllo. Like your good self, I usually wind up going with "good enough" after the 6th sheet
                            sigpic
                            Fully Accessorized Primo XL Oval,
                            -BBQ GURU DigiQ DX2,
                            -AMNPS
                            -And various other do-dads, gimmicks,
                            gizmos and hornswaggles

Comment

Awesome stuff there AJ....have some Greek first thing this morning.

Chit! points pigs got me.....catch you next time.
                              sigpic

Smoked-Meat certified Sausagehead

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1443745685

Comment

Working...
                              X