From the lake to the table!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• From the lake to the table!

Had a chance to get out with my oldest son last sunday. I climbed aboard my buddy Troy's 28 fter, and we spent a great morning chasing the slimey devils around Lk Michigan. The weather was great, a little chop and a NW breeze, sunny and great company. Here Is Justin with a couple nice lake trout he caught.

He did let me reel one in, but I didn't get a pic of it. It was way to big to fit in the picture anyways!

Here is a pic of the cooler with our catch. 5 Lakers and a nice coho salmon.

and the Coho as we were comming in to the harbor we took this pic.

Now, here is a pic of the two of us with our catch, I almost fell backwards into the creek behind me!

time to smoke them critters up, here are 2 of the lake trout and the coho brined overnight and drying on the racks.

and in the lang at 160 for 3.5 hrs, then 175-180 for 1.5 hrs. Cooked over apple and maple.

and then the final look at them before they go into the fridge.

Thanks for checkin out my adventure and my treat.Soon as they cool down a bit, I am gonna taste a sample!
    Lang 60 Mobile deluxe

Captain-N-Smoke BBQ Team(retired)

Nice Dan! A rite fine day ta spend with the boy an good eats ta boot! Fish looks great!
    sigpic

Comment

I remember them day's well. Look's great CAPTAIN.

Comment

Loks like fun buddy
        Chargriller Pro w. sfb
        Ducane 4100 propane grill
        Brinkman Electric

Member # 200

Comment

Mmmm... that stuff's gotta be fantastic! Great job as usual Cap't :{)
          In God I trust- All others pay cash...
          Check out the Mad Hunky and products at https://madhunkymeats.com or https://www.facebook.com/MadHunkyMeats
          Lang 60D, The Beast, 18 and 22 WSM, Brinkmann Backroads trailer, Weber 22 Kettle, gutted MB burning watts

Comment

They look great . try this recipe with some of the fish I gaurantee you will love it.

Smoked fish and Spinach dip

1 lb. smoked fish, flaked fine
            1 10 oz. Packet of spinach, thawed and drained
            1 packet Knorr vegetable dip mix
            2 cups sour cream
            1 small can water chestnuts, chopped fine
            2 Tbs. mayonnaise
            1 round loaf pumpernickel bread

Mix fish, chopped spinach, vegetable dip mix and sour cream. Add the water chestnuts and Mayo, and mix again. Refrigerate mixture until ready for use. Cut the top out of the loaf of bread, and remove small pieces from the center, to form a bowl. Spoon in the fish mixture and serve with raw veggies and the bread pieces.
            Col. Big Guy

Comment

Lookin great Dan! Great way to get the fish too. A little jealous here...
              Lang 84 Deluxe (sold it, broke my heart)
              Weber Performer
              Weber 22.5" OTG
              Weber Q Tabletop Gasser
              Bunch of Sausage Makin' Kit
              Big Azz BBQ Concession Trailer
              BBQ Food Truck

Comment

Excellent, Dan! You had a much better fishing day than I had all weekend. We fished a mountain lake well known for macks and kokanee. Not a bite all weekend. Guess I'll stick with the bass!

Looks great coming off the smoker, too.
                sigpic
                Smoke Vault 24

Comment

nice looking cooler of fish the son and you hauled in!!! the cohos appear to be nice size and those lakers look really clean!!! no lamprey scars i could see. and of course the great looking smoked fish as well. i know they are good and i dont think i could wait till cooled off!!!
                  Charbroil SFB
                  GOSM
                  MES
                  Dutch Ovens and other CI
                  Little Chief, Big Chief, No Name water smoker
                  Weber 22" gold, Smokey Joe, WSM 22"

Smoked-Meat Certified Sausage Head

sigpic

Comment

That looks great, sounds like you guys had a great time.
                    KCBS/CBJ #56408

"Sticks and stones will break your bones, but words will always teach you." -Shihan

Comment

Soon as they cool down a bit, I am gonna taste a sample!
                      I'm with erain - no way would I be able to wait, they'd be sampled right out of the smoker :-)
                      Looks like some great fishing too.
                      Made In England - Fine Tuned By The USA
                      Just call me 'One Grind'

Comment

Nice catch Capt!
                        Keith

Comment

I love the posts you make with you and the boys fishing! You are a lucky man Capt! You caught some good size fish there too, how fun is that! Then to the smoker... I am sooo jealous.... it looks to die for!

The only one on the block with the super fastest turbo charged

Comment

Originally posted by Bbqgoddess View Post
                            I love the posts you make with you and the boys fishing! You are a lucky man Capt! You caught some good size fish there too, how fun is that! Then to the smoker... I am sooo jealous.... it looks to die for!
                            Yes I am a lucky man, and I see it more and more each day. Times are a bit tough around here right now and my kids and wife have been rock steady.My friends( like capt troy) have been a blessing too. It is great to get fresh fish for my table, although it is probably more expensive than the store bought, but i know where it came from, and it was alot more fun than lookin through the freezer case!

CA, yes it is tough, but the texture of the smoked fish is so much better once it firms up a bit, and like cheese, 2-3 days after the smoke actually permiates the smoke through the flesh.The stuff that is vac-packed and frozen aint too bad either!

Thanks for all the great comments and points folks. In two weeks I am going to an outing in Indiana put on by the Q joint folks, and I am taking Smoky Okie and chargrilled along on a fishing trip on Troy's boat the day after the outing. I am looking forward to meeting a few other pit masters at the outing and spending a good day on the pond with with some new friends.

I will be sure to post the pics here as well as at that sight.
                            Lang 60 Mobile deluxe

Captain-N-Smoke BBQ Team(retired)

Comment

Originally posted by Capt Dan View Post
                              In two weeks I am going to an outing in Indiana put on by the Q joint folks, and I am taking Smoky Okie and chargrilled along on a fishing trip on Troy's boat the day after the outing. I am looking forward to meeting a few other pit masters at the outing and spending a good day on the pond with with some new friends.
                              Sigh... I'd love to make that trek. Be sure to send my howdee's! Good on you, Dan!
                              In God I trust- All others pay cash...
                              Check out the Mad Hunky and products at https://madhunkymeats.com or https://www.facebook.com/MadHunkyMeats
                              Lang 60D, The Beast, 18 and 22 WSM, Brinkmann Backroads trailer, Weber 22 Kettle, gutted MB burning watts

Comment

Working...
                              X