Can Melted Cheese Be Re-Hardened?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can Melted Cheese Be Re-Hardened?

I've never thought of doing it before, but if you were to melt cheese in a square pan, then cool it and put it in the fridge, would it harden back up like it was originally?

The reason I'm asking is....what if I were to put a block of say Monterray Jack in a meatloaf pan and put it in the smoker at a temp just hot enough to melt it, stir some minced jalapeņo into it and let it smoke for an hour or two, stirring occasionally to incorporate the smoke into the cheese? Could I then let it cool, refrigerate it and later slice it?

John

Well, it will not "harden" like it was. As it was not melted to begin with, but usually pressed. Any melting will cause fat loss, and a change in texture.

Will it work for your application? Dunno...
    In God I trust- All others pay cash...
    Check out the Mad Hunky and products at https://madhunkymeats.com or https://www.facebook.com/MadHunkyMeats
    Lang 60D, The Beast, 18 and 22 WSM, Brinkmann Backroads trailer, Weber 22 Kettle, gutted MB burning watts

Comment

Oh Well, I guess then at the very least I should be able to make some very good, smoky cheese spread out of it. All I can do is try. I won't be out anything.

Thanks Rich

Comment

should work if you don't melt it too much.
        Most cheese has ahigh percentage of fat and when it melts some of the fat seperates out, so it will end up a firmer texture than the original cheese.

if the fat seperates out too much you can just run it through your grinder and press it into a dish while warm and stick it in the fridge to cool.

That's pretty much how processed cheese is made anyway :-)

Sounds like an idea well worth trying though - be very interested to see how it turns out :-)
        Made In England - Fine Tuned By The USA
        Just call me 'One Grind'

Comment

Working...
        X