X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Smoked Chuck Roast and London Broil pt2

Continued from part 1 found here!

OK, Back to the meat.

I went a little heavy on the sear for the LB's but my family prefers the meat done a bit more so I wasn't worried about the cooking depth of the fry.

This torch was a waste of time.

Chuck

Spinach salad with Strawberry Balsamic Vinaigrette.

Happy family

I decided to take all the trimmings and make my lunch for work.
    Trimmings were simmered on low for several hours then placed in the refrigerator, the next day the grease is removed and the final ingredients are added.
    Chuck Trimmings
    cubed chuck
    Carrots (used dehydrated carrots)
    Extra dry vermouth
    String Beans
    Spinach
    smoked jalapenos
    Parmesan/Garlic roasted potatoes (skip if freezing)
    beef gravy powder for thickening
    Barley (did not salt water used soy sauce and pepper instead)

This was my dinner last night and lunches at work for the next several days.

How was the Chuck?

First off let me say that taste is very subjective and I am not a huge Chuck fan, Chuck, to me always has a slight greasy taste throughout the meat, however with that said I would say that overall, this was an awesome cook.

Flavor profile of the Chuck
    The chucks had a fairly decent flavor profile, not as good as the LB's but OK.
    The smoked Chuck flavor was a bit more odd, not bad but did not taste like it had a smoky flavor, it was definitely a different flavor than the non smoked chuck, which I preferred, but you could not tell that it was smoked, but rather different. The Teriyaki flavor never came through, I found this odd.

Texture
    the Chuck was tender to the point of bordering mushy when served immediately, I am not a big fan of chuck but this chuck is far superior than any chuck I have done by other methods.

The chuck was incredible cold sliced the next day, the meat firmed up and my oldest daughter loved it cold.
    I have heard folks refer to Sous Vide Chuck as very similar to Prime Rib , I don't care what you do to this piece of meat, Its never going to be a prime rib equivalent in taste or texture.

However the meat was fork tender and the flavor profile was great for a chuck. This may have even pulled fairly easy, you can notice the grain in the meat in several pictures screaming to be pulled. I will definitely be doing a pulled chuck in the near future, now whether or not I smoke it, still remains to be seen.

How was the London Broil?

Flavor Profile
    The flavor was awesome and the smoke flavor came through nicely on the smoked LB and the smoked is the one I preferred.
    The Teriyaki flavor never came through on the Smoke LB either, I understand that when using a bath, some ingredients can have a negative impact on the flavor profile, but still thought it odd that there was no flavor from the Teriyaki.

Texture
    The LB was just plain awesome, far superior than any LB's I have done in the past. I would jaccard the meat for a so called tender meat but sometimes I would over do it, and although it was "CHEW-Friendly", it lost its body and was borderline burger meat.
    Cooking in the bath, the meat retains its body somewhat but is an easier chew, I don't want to say more tender because it's still dense, but its different, and has a much more pleasant texture, Its hard to describe.

Overall I preferred this cut over the Chuck.

How was the stew?
    As I eat my stew I type this, The chuck in the stew was simply fantastic, I would definitely do an entire sous vide chuck dedicated to a stew.

Part 2 is also Awesome, SQWIB!!!

And thanks for the report---Very interesting & helpful !!

Bear
    Vietnam Vet---9th Inf. Div. Mekong Delta (1969)
    Easy to follow Step By Steps: Pulled Cured Boston Butt Ham and Buckboard Bacon--Smoked Salmon-- Bacon-On-A-Stick--Bacon (Extra Smokey)--Boneless Cured & Smoked Pork Chops & CB--Canadian Bacon & Dried Beef--Ham Twins (Double Smoked)--Double Smoked Hams X 4--Bear Logs (All Beef--Unstuffed)--Smoked Bear Loaf (All Beef-Mild Hot)--Prime Rib (My Best ever)--Another Prime Rib--Chucky (Pulled Beef)--Twin Chuckies--Pork and Beef Spares--Rare Beef (for Sammies)--Raspberry Chiffon Pie---

Mom & 4 Cub litter---Potter County, PA:

Comment

Great post as usual, Squib. Im going to have to raid my freezer to see if I have LB left for my first SV cook now. for an excellent post & SV comparison!!
      Mike
      Proud to be I.B.E.W.

PCa Sucks - But I WILL, No DID beat this!!

Yoder YS640
      POS ChinaMasterbuilt XL (demoted to cold smoking duty)
      Bull Big Bahanga gas grill

Of all the things I've ever lost, I miss my mind the most!

Comment

Originally posted by Bearcarver View Post
        Part 2 is also Awesome, SQWIB!!!

And thanks for the report---Very interesting & helpful !!

Bear
        Originally posted by Otis857 View Post
        Great post as usual, Squib. Im going to have to raid my freezer to see if I have LB left for my first SV cook now. for an excellent post & SV comparison!!
        Thanks guys.
        Cant wait to see your first Sous Vide Post

Comment

Absolutely ootstanding!! Fantastic post, great pics... lovin' that SV!!

Drinks well with others

~ P4 ~

Comment

Great thread with great pictures and information, as usual. Nice work!
            sigpic

Comment

Working...
            X