re-furbishing my UniFlame gas grill...have question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• re-furbishing my UniFlame gas grill...have question

I'm trying to get my UniFlame model GBC720W gas grill back into decent condition after a few years of rough abuse by my kids. It looks like this one:

I am replacing the temperature indicator, the flame shield and the burners - eventually I will replace the grate, as well.

My question is about the handle for the lid that would fit this grill. I can't seem to find one on-line, but my resources are very limited.

Can anyone locate a handle for the lid?

Thanks -

Ron
    Fundamentals matter.

Helfen, Wehren, Heilen
    Die Wahrheit wird euch frei machen

Foods of the World Forums - From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, it's all good

BaitShopBoyz.com - Shoot the bull with the boyZ

make one out of a nice piece of wood....as in personalize it
    Steve

Comment

I didn't think about that, but it makes perfect sense!
      Fundamentals matter.

Helfen, Wehren, Heilen

Comment

Yup, you might have to make one.

I found about 8 places on a search that had them, but the handles were all listed as Not available:

Model number: 5507328 - (Handle For Gbc720w)

Bear
        Vietnam Vet---9th Inf. Div. Mekong Delta (1969)
        Easy to follow Step By Steps: Pulled Cured Boston Butt Ham and Buckboard Bacon--Smoked Salmon-- Bacon-On-A-Stick--Bacon (Extra Smokey)--Boneless Cured & Smoked Pork Chops & CB--Canadian Bacon & Dried Beef--Ham Twins (Double Smoked)--Double Smoked Hams X 4--Bear Logs (All Beef--Unstuffed)--Smoked Bear Loaf (All Beef-Mild Hot)--Prime Rib (My Best ever)--Another Prime Rib--Chucky (Pulled Beef)--Twin Chuckies--Pork and Beef Spares--Rare Beef (for Sammies)--Raspberry Chiffon Pie---

Mom & 4 Cub litter---Potter County, PA:

Comment

I'd need a closer shot..but.. some .25" threaded rod and about 10" of 1 inch hardwood dowel. cut the dowel into 2" lengths and drill a .25" hole thru center. Use..I dunno 4-5 lengths shoved onto the rod. Bend the rod to fit bolt holes in lid. Jamb nut on the outside, lockwasher and nut on the inside.

Oh..soak dowel hunks in hot veggie oil.
          In God I trust- All others pay cash...
          Check out the Mad Hunky and products at https://madhunkymeats.com or https://www.facebook.com/MadHunkyMeats
          Lang 60D, The Beast, 18 and 22 WSM, Brinkmann Backroads trailer, Weber 22 Kettle, gutted MB burning watts

Comment

I'm a DIY guy meself, and love to improvise. Any chance of showing the damage to the handles? What's broken?

Drinks well with others

~ P4 ~

Comment

Plug the holes & build one! Or use existing....
              Sunset Eagle Aviation
              https://www.facebook.com/pages/Sunse...888015?fref=ts <... We sure could use some likes!

Comment

Make a bracket (2) an put a nice chunk O wood in the middle. I just used screws to hold the wood. Still wookin jus fine a ...few years later.
                Mark
                sigpic

"Likes smokey old pool rooms, clear mountain mornins. Little warm puppies, children and girls of the night"?
                Smoked-Meat Certified Sausage Head!

Comment

Wish that fence still looked that nice.
                  Mark
                  sigpic

"Likes smokey old pool rooms, clear mountain mornins. Little warm puppies, children and girls of the night"?

Comment

Well, guys - some mixed success ~ prepare yourselves for a few laughs!

I spent nearly all of Saturday futzing around with the above "repairs" to my gas grill, so we'd have something convenient on weeknights if we wanted to grill some quick burgers etc.

I installed a new temperature gauge - ultimately, it didn't work, but at least it plugged the hole that was there from when my kids ripped the original one out.

I also installed a new handle (the old one broke off from too many kids using it and slamming the lind down) - the handle was supposed to be "universal," but was missing some of the hardware, was overly-complicated to set up (like a setting up a house of cards while going up a steep hill in the back of a speeding pickup on a bumpy dirt road during day 3 of a 3-day downpour) and seemed to be a flimsy set-up anyway, with only two little thn metal tabs holding the whole thing together. Solution: I bought a few washers, drilled two holes and bolted that sucker in. It's solid as a rock now, even if it doesn't look very trendy.

I also bought a new stainless-steel heat shield since the kids ruined the original one by turning it upside down and putting wood chips in the over-turned heat shield. This was probably the best purchase of all, since it really helped a lot to evenly distribute the heat coming from the burned-out burners. I can't really blame that one on the kids - burners burn out - but the ones that I had ordered turned out to be the right size but with the wrong mounting hardware welded on. I was going to remove the old burners and take photos to send to the supplier (or maybe to work up a solid way to mount them in spite of the flaws), but the bolts/screws of the old burners were completely frozen in place (beyond the reach of even WD40) from the kids leaving the grill out in the elements, in spite of my continued rantings to cover it when they're not using it.... some other bolts/screws had their heads stripped by "helpful" kids trying to remvoe the burners while I was at work. A grinder might be the ultimate solution here, along with new mounting bolts/nuts rather than the soft, stock screws.

Anyway, the grill is somewhat serviceable again, but I'd like to either get the right burners in, or figure out a way to mount the "wrong" ones, if the right ones can't be found. Assuming that I can someday get the right burners, the grill should perform like a champ, except I'll be lighting it with a match or one of those long lighters because the ignitor setup has been completely ruined by kids spraying out the grill in order to "clean it...."

You see a common theme here.

All-in-all - the good news is that I saved probably 60 to a hundred dollars versus buyng a new gas grill (which would be purely for convenience, since I prefer charcoal); the bad news is that I literally wasted a day messing with it, and it still isn't totally up to par due to the burners (important) and the ignitor system (not a big deal).

With the little daylight that was left on Saturday, I assembled my new Weber Kettle (yay!). Assembly went very well, except one leg was bent. Emailed weber; they are sending a new one. Thank you, Weber.

I might actually get to try it this weekend, if things go well. I am considering making a pastrami, using a corned beef as the beginning and MossyMO's recipe. Once I get good at that, I might make a true "start-to-finish" pastrami. I might also spin up a batch of HistoricFoodie's coffee-based rub and sauce and try them with some chicken leg quarters, since I wasn't able to make them this last weekend. The ingredients are all within my reach, except the spices will probably already be ground and therefore I won't be able to toast them.

I still need to smoke a bunch of trout, too - more to come.....
                    Last edited by TasunkaWitko; 06-23-2014, 02:26 PM.
                    Fundamentals matter.

Helfen, Wehren, Heilen

Comment

Sounds like you did pretty good after all.

One thing though-----You aren't supposed to be "Futzing Around" unless you're Pennsylvania Dutch!!!

Bear
                      Vietnam Vet---9th Inf. Div. Mekong Delta (1969)
                      Easy to follow Step By Steps: Pulled Cured Boston Butt Ham and Buckboard Bacon--Smoked Salmon-- Bacon-On-A-Stick--Bacon (Extra Smokey)--Boneless Cured & Smoked Pork Chops & CB--Canadian Bacon & Dried Beef--Ham Twins (Double Smoked)--Double Smoked Hams X 4--Bear Logs (All Beef--Unstuffed)--Smoked Bear Loaf (All Beef-Mild Hot)--Prime Rib (My Best ever)--Another Prime Rib--Chucky (Pulled Beef)--Twin Chuckies--Pork and Beef Spares--Rare Beef (for Sammies)--Raspberry Chiffon Pie---

Mom & 4 Cub litter---Potter County, PA:

Comment

Fundamentals matter.

Helfen, Wehren, Heilen

Comment

http://www.bbqtek.com/shopexd.asp?fst=part&id=5997
                          from here, http://www.bbqtek.com/bbqparts.asp?g...FeXm7AodeXUAXg

http://www.allpartsgrills.com/ecomme...Fabm7AodgW4AYg

http://www.grillparts.com
                          Mark
                          sigpic

Comment

Hey, Mark - thank you for the links. I'll double-check what I have against what they offer and see if I can find the mix-up. I guess it's also possible that some sort of after-market issue has the fittings in the wrong place. I see it with car parts quite a bit.

If I can get burners with the right fittings, I should be able to get them mounted the way they are "supposed to be," as soon as I devise a plan for getting the frozen bolts/screws out. If for some reason I can't get my hands on burners with the right fittings, the ones they sent me will work, if I can find a way to mount them solidly.

I also had a chance to look at replacing the ignitor - might be a fairly easy job. If that plan comes together, I'll essentially have a new grill with a fracked-up thermometer (they are usually fracked-up anyway) that doesn't get used much, but works well enough for weeknight quick cooking ~
                            Fundamentals matter.

Helfen, Wehren, Heilen

Comment

Ron are you sure that is a "GBC720W" and not a CBC720W? Take a good look.
                              Mark
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X