Branch water and bourbon

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Branch water and bourbon

Never had it. Hell, never really knew what branch water was. Well, got a half gallon from a bud making syrup. A splash and an ice cube with the Elmer T Lee is quite a treat.

On edit: I did strain out the couple ants. You think hickory for them?
    In God I trust- All others pay cash...
    Check out the Mad Hunky and products at https://madhunkymeats.com or https://www.facebook.com/MadHunkyMeats
    Lang 60D, The Beast, 18 and 22 WSM, Brinkmann Backroads trailer, Weber 22 Kettle, gutted MB burning watts

LOL never found any good branch water north of the ohio river...... Glad you enjoyed it.

Comment

Originally posted by Richtee View Post
      Never had it. Hell, never really knew what branch water was. Well, got a half gallon from a bud making syrup. A splash and an ice cube with the Elmer T Lee is quite a treat.

Post Oak
      ~ May your glass be ever full. May the roof over your head be always strong. And may you be in heaven half an hour before the devil knows you're dead. ~ Dwain

Comment

so what is it ?
        Made In England - Fine Tuned By The USA
        Just call me 'One Grind'

Comment

Pine.

Drinks well with others

~ P4 ~

Comment

Originally posted by curious aardvark View Post
            so what is it ?
            In this case..it's unrefined maple sap. It's almost like water..but there is a touch of sweetness. Takes about 50 gallons reduced to make 1 gallon syrup.
            Check out the Mad Hunky and products at https://madhunkymeats.com or https://www.facebook.com/MadHunkyMeats
            Lang 60D, The Beast, 18 and 22 WSM, Brinkmann Backroads trailer, Weber 22 Kettle, gutted MB burning watts

Comment

According to Wikipedia, branch water is just plain water that "comes directly from the stream that the distillery is built on". But this is much more interesting.

If you want to try Rich's version but don't have access to sap, make your own by diluting a drop of real maple syrup (not Log Cabin or Aunt Jemima) with a splash of water. I'd start with a splash of water and an ice cube with the Elmer T Lee, then add a few drops of the syrup until you get the desired sweetness. It would probably be a little different, as the syrup undergoes some Maillard reaction (browning) while it's getting boiled down.

You could swap out the sugar for syrup in an old fashioned too.

Comment

In the south a stream or creek is often referred to as a "branch" of the river that it feeds into. Thus branch water. The preference would be the same branch that the distillery uses to make the whisky in the first place. I believe that it was Weller that used to bottle branch water so when you bought a bottle of their whiskey, you could also buy a bottle of the original branch water to mix it with. If it is really good whiskey like Elmer T. Lee, I prefer to sip it straight with just one large cube or ball of ice.
                A few of my favorite things:
                Good Whiskey
                Good Food
                Bad Girls
                sigpic

NRA Endowment Member
                Certified Glock Armorer

Comment

In this case..it's unrefined maple sap. It's almost like water..but there is a touch of sweetness. Takes about 50 gallons reduced to make 1 gallon syrup.
                  I'd love to have the tree it came from... sugar maple is some mighty fine smoking wood!

Drinks well with others

~ P4 ~

Comment

I have heard of bourbon and branch, but I have never made the connection to raw maple sap water (tree branch)...I think that would be good. I've always assumed that it was the water used to make the bourbon. I'm sipping some ETL as I write this and consider the possibilities. Life is good.
                    BBQ Eng.

The "Cow Girls" were adopted from the shelter, and found on petfinder.com.
                    Adopt a homeless pet - http://www.petfinder.com
                    I built the Iron Maiden - Iron Maiden Smoker Build

Over 5000 unreadable posts...Photobucket can kiss my ass...they will never get a dime. I will not pay a ransom.

Comment

Branch water and bourbon

Originally posted by Snarlingiron View Post
                      In the south a stream or creek is often referred to as a "branch" of the river that it feeds into. Thus branch water. The preference would be the same branch that the distillery uses to make the whisky in the first place. I believe that it was Weller that used to bottle branch water so when you bought a bottle of their whiskey, you could also buy a bottle of the original branch water to mix it with. If it is really good whiskey like Elmer T. Lee, I prefer to sip it straight with just one large cube or ball of ice.
                      I remember drinkin Weller's and water back in the day. Reminds me of CC water back.
                      ~ May your glass be ever full. May the roof over your head be always strong. And may you be in heaven half an hour before the devil knows you're dead. ~ Dwain

Comment

Originally posted by Snarlingiron View Post
                        Interesting..as the sap is referred to as that up here. Or that's what this guy was saying. It is a unique flavor. He had some half reduced stuff he brought over last week.. that was almost too sweet tho.

I'm gonna simmer this stuff for a bit and see what I get.

Comment

Interesting..as the sap is referred to as that up here. Or that's what this guy was saying. It is a unique flavor. He had some half reduced stuff he brought over last week.. that was almost too sweet tho.

I'm gonna simmer this stuff for a bit and see what I get.
                          Don't forget to marinate the cook...

Drinks well with others

~ P4 ~

Comment

Rich,

If you want to boil it down to maple syrup, you need to watch the temperature carefully. It's done when it's 7º above the boiling point of water at your location. Wikipedia says you're at about 1000 ft elevation, which means water should boil at 211º, so you want to take the syrup off at 218º. It's slow and boring to start, but the last couple of degrees go by really fast.

Comment

Originally posted by scotth View Post
                              Rich,

If you want to boil it down to maple syrup, you need to watch the temperature carefully. It's done when it's 7º above the boiling point of water at your location. Wikipedia says you're at about 1000 ft elevation, which means water should boil at 211º, so you want to take the syrup off at 218º. It's slow and boring to start, but the last couple of degrees go by really fast.
                              No....just reducing it a bit...

Comment

Working...
                              X