Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SV Sirloin success

Hi Y'all.
    I finally got the opportunity to try out the Johnson Controller for Sous Vide cooking. I had some sirloin steaks in the freezer from a side of beef I bought a while back. This must have been a young steer cuz they were lean & real tough. I tried a number of times to grill them and they were not fun to eat. Not shoe leather tough, but too chewy to enjoy. So why not use them for a test of the crock pot/controller combo?

Here they are seasoned up with some T Dust and John Henry's Pecan rub. Good combo

In to the water bath @ 132 for 10 hrs.

Some nice looking gray steaks, YUM

Threw them on the big Bahanga for a quick reverse sear.

Juicy and Med rare. Hard to tell form this shot, but they were tender, pink & very juicy.

We did a simple meal of Garlic mashed potatoes and some mixed veggies. Since my surgery, my appetite has been down, so half a steak was just right.

The po boy Sous Vide system is looking like a success. The crock pot set on high with the controller kept the temps stable to 1 degree and the results were excellent. Obviously a crock pot is a little small for large cuts of meat, so I'll look for a 2nd hand roaster oven. Next time I'll try a tougher cut for longer to see how that works out. I've got some Round steaks that will be a good test for this system, but so far, so good!
    Mike
    Proud to be I.B.E.W.

PCa Sucks - But I WILL, No DID beat this!!

Yoder YS640
    POS ChinaMasterbuilt XL (demoted to cold smoking duty)
    Bull Big Bahanga gas grill

Of all the things I've ever lost, I miss my mind the most!

Looks good.. I just dont get this boil in bag stuff... cant wrap my head around it....
    Brian

Certified Sausage & Pepper Head
    Yoder YS640
    Weber Genesis
    Weber 18.5" Kettle
    Weber Performer
    Misfit # 1899

sigpic

Comment

You're headed in the right direction brutha... dat looks great!! Yeah, the crock pot limits the size of the cook, butt gets you there and a good start. A bigger vessel does help.

Try some wings next... you will not believe it!

Drinks well with others

~ P4 ~

Comment

Originally posted by barkonbutts View Post
        Looks good.. I just dont get this boil in bag stuff... cant wrap my head around it....
        The key word is "boil"

At 132 F, the meat is never boiled, just truly "set it & forget it" low & slow.

Most other forms of cooking cook the meat, or some parts of the meat to 212 F (boiling) temperature.

We all know what happens to meat at 212 F.

dcarch

Comment

Forget "boiling"...like dcarch said.

Look at sous vide as another step in cooking. It's not intended to be an only way of cooking. Its purpose is to provide a perfectly done product for you to add to. It gets cooked to the desired temperature. Believe me. It is incredible to take a tough eye roast and turn it into a tender cut.

No boiling involved...
          Last edited by HawgHeaven; 04-08-2014, 10:30 AM.

Drinks well with others

~ P4 ~

Comment

I get it Brian, I was skeptical too. That's why I went Sous Vide on the cheap with the crock pot & controller. Now Im convinced!! And Im really happy at how good the controller kept the water temp within 1 -2 degrees of the desired temps. Cooking a tough cut at the desired temp AND having all the juices trapped so they cant get out made for some tasty Sirloins. Now all them tough cuts that have been taking up freezer space will be put to good use. Next time I think I'll try adding some cold smoke b4 it goes into the water bath too.
            Mike
            Proud to be I.B.E.W.

Yoder YS640

Comment

Looks nice Otis!

Like to see, and here results on what ribs would be like SV style.

Anybody done it, or have heard aboot it?
              sigpic

Comment

Awsome
                so where did you score this temp control thingy
                2-22.5'' weber
                1-18'' weber
                1 smokey joe
                22.5'' wsm
                24'' smoke vault
                1-outhouse
                Certified,Smoked Meat Sausage Head
                Smoked meathead #135

Comment

Originally posted by minnbill View Post
                  Awsome
                  so where did you score this temp control thingy
                  On edit
                  found your last thread .INTERESTING
                  2-22.5'' weber
                  1-18'' weber
                  1 smokey joe
                  22.5'' wsm
                  24'' smoke vault
                  1-outhouse
                  Certified,Smoked Meat Sausage Head
                  Smoked meathead #135

Comment

Originally posted by minnbill View Post
                    On edit
                    found your last thread .INTERESTING
                    Pretty good deal on Amazon. But if you do decide to try it, definitely seal the joint between the wire and the sensor end. I sealed mine with a little RTV & heat shrink. That's the only weak link on that particular controller.
                    Mike
                    Proud to be I.B.E.W.

Yoder YS640

Comment

Ok, so what I have a hard time wrapping me head around is the 132° for 10 hours. Doesn't that place the meat right smack in the danger zone for bacteria growth for 10 hours???? Everyone is so anal about putting cure into sausage and such that is going to be smoked so as to not encounter dangerous bacteria growth, but with Sous vide it's ok? What am I missing?
                      A few of my favorite things:
                      Good Whiskey
                      Good Food
                      Bad Girls
                      sigpic

NRA Endowment Member
                      Certified Glock Armorer

Comment

Originally posted by Fishawn View Post
                        Looks nice Otis!

Like to see, and here results on what ribs would be like SV style.

Anybody done it, or have heard aboot it?
                        I'll give it a run when I get back from AZ. Assuming I DO get back anyhow.

I figger a light rub w/light mustard, then another dust and onto the grill for the finish. Will need to cut into 3-5 bone sections. Soo might vary the seasoning. Just salt/pepper maybe even and a little rub after.
                        In God I trust- All others pay cash...
                        Check out the Mad Hunky and products at https://madhunkymeats.com or https://www.facebook.com/MadHunkyMeats
                        Lang 60D, The Beast, 18 and 22 WSM, Brinkmann Backroads trailer, Weber 22 Kettle, gutted MB burning watts

Comment

Great looking meal!!

I am there with your Brian. Although I do understand that nothing is being boiled, and all the pics of food that everyone has done sure looks good, I am not certain that this is a method of cooking that is for me.
                          Becky

https://www.facebook.com/jennie.r.smith.77?ref=tn_tnmn

Weber 22.5" One Touch Gold Kettle - Black
                          Weber 22.5" One Touch Gold Kettle - Copper
                          1993 Weber 22.5" Master Touch Kettle - Red
                          Weber 18.5" One Touch Silver Kettle - Budweiser
                          Weber Smokey Joe
                          Multiple Dutch Ovens and other Cast Iron
                          Pink Thermapen
                          Purple Thermapen

Comment

Originally posted by sweet_magnolia View Post
                            I am there with your Brian. Although I do understand that nothing is being boiled, and all the pics of food that everyone has done sure looks good, I am not certain that this is a method of cooking that is for me.
                            Do a thin steak Beck..use the crocker... let it settle in and mess with it to get a stable 130-ish. I bet ya can. Or close enough..as it'll only be about an hour and a half to 2 may for a half incher. Then sear it up. No easy way to do a steak that thin on a grill... ya think? I said "easy" LOL... 30 seconds over rocket hot coals a side... and let us know.
                            In God I trust- All others pay cash...
                            Check out the Mad Hunky and products at https://madhunkymeats.com or https://www.facebook.com/MadHunkyMeats
                            Lang 60D, The Beast, 18 and 22 WSM, Brinkmann Backroads trailer, Weber 22 Kettle, gutted MB burning watts

Comment

Originally posted by Richtee View Post
                              Do a thin steak Beck..use the crocker... let it settle in and mess with it to get a stable 130-ish. I bet ya can. Or close enough..as it'll only be about an hour and a half to 2 may for a half incher. Then sear it up. No easy way to do a steak that thin on a grill... ya think? I said "easy" LOL... 30 seconds over rocket hot coals a side... and let us know.
                              I might try that but...I don't even own a vac sealer
                              Becky

https://www.facebook.com/jennie.r.smith.77?ref=tn_tnmn

Weber 22.5" One Touch Gold Kettle - Black
                              Weber 22.5" One Touch Gold Kettle - Copper
                              1993 Weber 22.5" Master Touch Kettle - Red
                              Weber 18.5" One Touch Silver Kettle - Budweiser
                              Weber Smokey Joe
                              Multiple Dutch Ovens and other Cast Iron
                              Pink Thermapen
                              Purple Thermapen

Comment

Working...
                              X