Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is Your Outside, Shop, Or Garage Freezer Working?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is Your Outside, Shop, Or Garage Freezer Working?

Somehow, our garage freezer plug got tweeked just enough that it was not working..... There was a basketball right next to it, on top of the lid when I went oot to put some vac packed PP in it...... Never thought twice aboot it.... Opened the lid to freeze said PP.......... Yes, I immediately knew what was going on, and it was not good.... 5# boneless chicken thighs, 3-4 pizza crusts, 10# Sea Bass filets, a few bags of Kolbasz, etc.... Gone....... Could have been worse..... Figured a couple days withoot freezing temps, butt what a pain in the ass! The smell was bad, butt have smelled a LOT worse from coolers, freezers, etc.

Just a "heads up" if ya got a lotta good stuff in your freezer, might be worth investing in a temp alarm......

And, it might save you from 9:30pm pulling out the freezer, putting rotting meat into trash, hosing oot freezer, disinfection of said freezer, etc....
    sigpic

I bought 2 a couple years ago. $12 for both plus some shipping as I recall.

Yup. Do it.
    In God I trust- All others pay cash...
    Check out the Mad Hunky and products at https://madhunkymeats.com or https://www.facebook.com/MadHunkyMeats
    Lang 60D, The Beast, 18 and 22 WSM, Brinkmann Backroads trailer, Weber 22 Kettle, gutted MB burning watts

Comment

Bummer. The local zoo prolly woulda taken that stuff... Although prolly not at 9:30.

Not to mention the occasional campfire

My --->
      Paul

Comment

Sorry to hear aboot the loss of future smokin material. Great heads up, I know i really should get two of them for me basement freezers... Thanks for making your loss into a possible preventative measure for someone else down the line.
        Charbroil SFB
        GOSM
        MES
        Dutch Ovens and other CI
        Little Chief, Big Chief, No Name water smoker
        Weber 22" gold, Smokey Joe, WSM 22"

Smoked-Meat Certified Sausage Head

sigpic

Comment

I never thought about it, but I'll be ordering one asap. Sorry for your loss, and thanks for the tip.
          sigpic

Comment

that sucks.

Our freezer needs cleaning out, got enough snow in there to make a small snowman :-)
            But definitely still plugged in.
            Made In England - Fine Tuned By The USA
            Just call me 'One Grind'

Comment

Bummer. That is a disgusting mess. I know I have posted about it on here, but I had one fail, replaced it and the replacement lasted 1 year and 1 month. The replacement for the replacement has a digital display on front of the door and a built in temp alarm. About 3 times a day as I pass it I glance at it and check for the 0 on the display. I'm down right paranoid about it now. Now that I think about it, the built in temp alarm wouldn't have done a thing under your set of circumstances. Hmmmmmmmm.
              A few of my favorite things:
              Good Whiskey
              Good Food
              Bad Girls
              sigpic

NRA Endowment Member
              Certified Glock Armorer

Comment

Heck I got 4 of them in my house..... only had to toss them once when we lost power for 10 days... but we had one heck of a BBQ on day 7.....
                Brian

Certified Sausage & Pepper Head
                Yoder YS640
                Weber Genesis
                Weber 18.5" Kettle
                Weber Performer
                Misfit # 1899

sigpic

Comment

I'm sorry to hear of your loss, Scott.
                  Out here in the country, we've lost power a number of times and had to throw away the contents of the freezer and two refridgerators. Its not only nasty to deal with, but expensive.
                  Steve

Comment

Wow that sucks.
                    This happened to someone last year and I bought a couple alarms then.Guess I should open them up and putem to use
                    2-22.5'' weber
                    1-18'' weber
                    1 smokey joe
                    22.5'' wsm
                    24'' smoke vault
                    1-outhouse
                    Certified,Smoked Meat Sausage Head
                    Smoked meathead #135

Comment

Originally posted by Fishawn View Post
                      Somehow, our garage freezer plug got tweeked just enough that it was not working..... There was a basketball right next to it, on top of the lid when I went oot to put some vac packed PP in it...... Never thought twice aboot it.... Opened the lid to freeze said PP.......... Yes, I immediately knew what was going on, and it was not good.... 5# boneless chicken thighs, 3-4 pizza crusts, 10# Sea Bass filets, a few bags of Kolbasz, etc.... Gone....... Could have been worse..... Figured a couple days withoot freezing temps, butt what a pain in the ass! The smell was bad, butt have smelled a LOT worse from coolers, freezers, etc.

Just a "heads up" if ya got a lotta good stuff in your freezer, might be worth investing in a temp alarm......

And, it might save you from 9:30pm pulling out the freezer, putting rotting meat into trash, hosing oot freezer, disinfection of said freezer, etc....
                      thats sucks,

I had a box freezer semi loaded with pork, chicken and crabs... in my garage go out, unnoticed for about a week in July - Started to smell something, only cracked the lid an inch...

had to load the freezer onto the back of the truck and dumped it a few blocks away... coyotes probably liked it..

The replacement box freezer went in the basement where it doesnt have to work as hard and can be monitored.
                      Just because you welded some shit together doesnt make it a WSM.

Twitter: @GrubSeeker

Comment

Thermoworks sells a very good alarm...Where I got mine...
                        Craig
                        sigpic

Comment

Sorry Scott!!!!! Sucks!!
                          Don

Humphrey's Pint
                          Weber Smokey Mountain 18.5"
                          Weber Performer (Black Top, Stainless Steel Table Edition circa 2005)
                          Blackstone Professional Series 36" Griddle
                          Weber Spirit SP-310 Gas Grill
                          Anova One Sous Vide
                          AMPS
                          Purple Thermapen
                          Maverick ET-733
                          DigIQ DX2
                          Misfit #1674

sigpic

Comment

man that just sucks "thaw-daddy", my 2 little units have little lights on them at the bottom and the strips that they are plugged into do too.........
                            sigpic
                            it's all good my friend..........

Comment

That sucks, Fish...especially 9:30 at night!
                              Becky

https://www.facebook.com/jennie.r.smith.77?ref=tn_tnmn

Weber 22.5" One Touch Gold Kettle - Black
                              Weber 22.5" One Touch Gold Kettle - Copper
                              1993 Weber 22.5" Master Touch Kettle - Red
                              Weber 18.5" One Touch Silver Kettle - Budweiser
                              Weber Smokey Joe
                              Multiple Dutch Ovens and other Cast Iron
                              Pink Thermapen
                              Purple Thermapen

Comment

Working...
                              X