Pellet Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pellet Question

I have a question for any of you that might use pellets in any way other than in a pellet smoker, or AMZNPS, type set up, anything besides the conventional. I have quite a few on hand, and decided to use them on my most recent bacon smoke. My smoker is a freezer conversion, I use a hot plate in a side box for a smoke generator. I seemed to get a harsh smelling smoke when smoldering these along with some chips and dust (I typically use Frantz sawdust, which is more of a small chip). The flavor has been great, so I'm not complaining, I just got kinda concerned, and wonder if any one else has noticed this. Quite a bit of moisture in a pellet which I expected so more "steam" along with my smoke too.
    sigpic

Beef. It's whats for dinner.

I use pellets in an AMAZE in my fridge conversion.

Tell us a little more. Are you throwing them on the heating element? How are you actually burning the pellets?

Comment

yeah I think one component might be moisture, I know exactly the smell you where talking about, when I over packed my tube I got that, talked with Todd Johnson for a while and we did a very light fill and made a difference, that is why the new tubes have two holes (can fill on either end... mine has a closed mesh end) , if think so you cant pack it so tight and get that smell you where talking about.

Also if you are still getting it try drying them out in the oven for a bit... I have heard others doing this as well.

Hope this helps.
      Brian

Certified Sausage & Pepper Head
      Yoder YS640
      Weber Genesis
      Weber 18.5" Kettle
      Weber Performer
      Misfit # 1899

sigpic

Comment

probably moisture and incomplete combustion
        Are they burning down to virtual no ash?

Comment

You can nuke them as well..fill a flat plate and go a min or so... remove, mix and de-do. 2-3 times..they be dry.
          In God I trust- All others pay cash...
          Check out the Mad Hunky and products at https://madhunkymeats.com or https://www.facebook.com/MadHunkyMeats
          Lang 60D, The Beast, 18 and 22 WSM, Brinkmann Backroads trailer, Weber 22 Kettle, gutted MB burning watts

Comment

I'm mixing them in my stainless steel pan with my chips, which is then placed on the hotplate. I've got a buddy dries them out also in the microwave and uses them in a regular AMAZN smoker with good luck, so I think the moisture is the culprit. Boy the little buggers expand too. Kinda like the snake pellets you used to light on the 4th of July!
            sigpic

Beef. It's whats for dinner.

Comment

Working...
            X