M.H Mudbugs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• M.H Mudbugs

Cooked up a bunch of mudbugs tonight. I used same seasoning as usual and added 4 Tbsp Mad Hunky Hot Ass Wing to the mix. Turned out real good.
    sigpic

Very nice, Eddie! Love me some good crawfish. And those look fresh, too! All the tails I looked at (before I went cross-eyed ), were curled nice and tight.
    Yoder YS640, Weber Performer Platinum, Weber OTG, Weber Q220, Traeger BBQ125 Executive
    ThunderDome Vortex, Smokenator 1000, GrillGrates, A-Maze-N Tube Smoker (6" & 12")
    Weed Dragon Torch with Squeeze Valve (VT2-23SVC), Looftlighter, BernzOmatic High Intensity Torch Head (TS8000)
    Tappecue, Maverick ET-732 (x2), Maverick PT-100

SousVide Supreme, VacMaster VP112 (chamber), VacMaster Pro305 (suction)

Comment

Yummm! The MH GP, HW and HAW do work as a boil. I really like corn on the cob that way. Man I wish fresh bugs were reasonable up here...
      In God I trust- All others pay cash...
      Check out the Mad Hunky and products at https://madhunkymeats.com or https://www.facebook.com/MadHunkyMeats
      Lang 60D, The Beast, 18 and 22 WSM, Brinkmann Backroads trailer, Weber 22 Kettle, gutted MB burning watts

Comment

To quote Tom Horn... “I’ll be darned, I’ve… I’ve never eaten a bug that big before…”

Not to mention the occasional campfire

My --->
        Paul

Comment

I'm with Rich----Wish fresh bugs were easily available up here. I love "Baby Lobster Tails"!!!

Looks Awesome, Edster!!

Bear
          Vietnam Vet---9th Inf. Div. Mekong Delta (1969)
          Easy to follow Step By Steps: Pulled Cured Boston Butt Ham and Buckboard Bacon--Smoked Salmon-- Bacon-On-A-Stick--Bacon (Extra Smokey)--Boneless Cured & Smoked Pork Chops & CB--Canadian Bacon & Dried Beef--Ham Twins (Double Smoked)--Double Smoked Hams X 4--Bear Logs (All Beef--Unstuffed)--Smoked Bear Loaf (All Beef-Mild Hot)--Prime Rib (My Best ever)--Another Prime Rib--Chucky (Pulled Beef)--Twin Chuckies--Pork and Beef Spares--Rare Beef (for Sammies)--Raspberry Chiffon Pie---

Mom & 4 Cub litter---Potter County, PA:

Comment

Man i wish we could get them here, looks like a meal i'd totally destroy
            sigpic

Check out my Blog

https://www.facebook.com/BoomasBBQ

http://boomapablo.wordpress.com/

Comment

I love me some mudbugs! They look great Edster!

Drinks well with others

~ P4 ~

Comment

Noice! I can get them .....but I gots to order 50lbs, kinda tough to go through by yoself....but somebuddy gotts ta doit! Soon, gotta call the relatives an sees whats what!
                Mark
                sigpic

"Likes smokey old pool rooms, clear mountain mornins. Little warm puppies, children and girls of the night"?
                Smoked-Meat Certified Sausage Head!

Comment

Thanks for posting. We have them in some of the rivers around here, and I've been contemplating trying to trap some this summer. Just don't know if it will be enough for a meal. It'll be fun trying though.
                  sigpic

Beef. It's whats for dinner.

Comment

Originally posted by mulepackin View Post
                    Thanks for posting. We have them in some of the rivers around here, and I've been contemplating trying to trap some this summer. Just don't know if it will be enough for a meal. It'll be fun trying though.
                    Just curious... how does one go aboot catching these critters? And where do you look for them?

Drinks well with others

~ P4 ~

Comment

Originally posted by HawgHeaven View Post
                      Just curious... how does one go aboot catching these critters? And where do you look for them?
                      I've done it two ways...

The first way...

As a kid, we'd tie a piece of bacon up good on one end of a long kite string. Tie the other end to a stick or branch or any darn thing you can find lying around to make your fishin' pool. Stick the bacon end in the crick ('creek' for you northerners ) and a mudbug'll grab it. Pull the mudbug off the bacon and toss in a plastic bucket, and repeat as often as it takes to get however many you need. WARNING: do NOT let your mother kick over the bucket in your front yard. You'll have a heck of a time catching them again. Just saying.

Second way...

Trapped 'em in the paddies in southern LoooZana, using fish heads and guts.

The first way was more fun. The second way was WAY more edible.

You can buy them down there by the gunny!

Oh, and for the second part of your question...they're freshwater critters. Rice fields are good. Creeks not so good. They're around, but you need a LOT of them to make a good meal, so creek-side "fishing" is more for fun...and to piss your mom off! You need plenty of fresh, shallow water. A state with a lot of land below sea level is a good place to look!
                      Last edited by Ozric; 05-04-2014, 12:33 PM.
                      Yoder YS640, Weber Performer Platinum, Weber OTG, Weber Q220, Traeger BBQ125 Executive
                      ThunderDome Vortex, Smokenator 1000, GrillGrates, A-Maze-N Tube Smoker (6" & 12")
                      Weed Dragon Torch with Squeeze Valve (VT2-23SVC), Looftlighter, BernzOmatic High Intensity Torch Head (TS8000)

Comment

I love them. We do boils out here every so often.

Here's where you can find them. The prices will change seasonally. We're getting to the end of the season and the shells will start getting harder with the warmer temps. Anyway, I use these guys and will will ship live or even cooked.

http://www.lacrawfish.com/
                        Pete
                        Large BGE
                        Char Broil Tru-Infrared Commercial series

Comment

Originally posted by Abelman View Post
                          I love them. We do boils out here every so often.

Here's where you can find them. The prices will change seasonally. We're getting to the end of the season and the shells will start getting harder with the warmer temps. Anyway, I use these guys and will will ship live or even cooked.

http://www.lacrawfish.com/
                          for the link! Great resource!

Comment

Originally posted by HawgHeaven View Post

Aint worth catching them up here. The biggest ones up here aren't even half as big as the ones in LA, and I wouldn't want to eat the ones around here.
                            I used to flip rocks over & grab them, and put them in my minnow buckets. Great for Bass Bait, especially Small Mouths!!

Bear
                            Vietnam Vet---9th Inf. Div. Mekong Delta (1969)
                            Easy to follow Step By Steps: Pulled Cured Boston Butt Ham and Buckboard Bacon--Smoked Salmon-- Bacon-On-A-Stick--Bacon (Extra Smokey)--Boneless Cured & Smoked Pork Chops & CB--Canadian Bacon & Dried Beef--Ham Twins (Double Smoked)--Double Smoked Hams X 4--Bear Logs (All Beef--Unstuffed)--Smoked Bear Loaf (All Beef-Mild Hot)--Prime Rib (My Best ever)--Another Prime Rib--Chucky (Pulled Beef)--Twin Chuckies--Pork and Beef Spares--Rare Beef (for Sammies)--Raspberry Chiffon Pie---

Mom & 4 Cub litter---Potter County, PA:

Comment

Originally posted by Bearcarver View Post
                              Aint worth catching them up here. The biggest ones up here aren't even half as big as the ones in LA, and I wouldn't want to eat the ones around here.
                              I used to flip rocks over & grab them, and put them in my minnow buckets. Great for Bass Bait, especially Small Mouths!!

Bear
                              Thats what I'm afraid of here as well, but I might try it anyway. I plan on using a trap, like a minnow trap, baited with meat, or I guess canned cat food works too, placed in the river. Usually see them pretty regular where the tributaries run into the Missouri. They are from 2 to 4 in. long for the most part. Is that a decent size, or still smaller than the aquaculture raised ones from down south?
                              sigpic

Beef. It's whats for dinner.

Comment

Working...
                              X