Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Experiment: Sous Vide Beef Ribs then on the Vortex!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Experiment: Sous Vide Beef Ribs then on the Vortex!

I'm just gonna say it. I've never really been a big fan of beef ribs. Or brisket for that matter and I think I have finally figured out why. I like my beef medium rare or rare. Even beef short ribs are just okay in my book (but the sauce is killer). I decided to experiment with two racks of beef ribs. I cut them both in half and vac sealed. Everything I've read says you can cook them anywhere from 24 - 72 hours. So here's where I'm at - I took one of the packages out aboot an hour ago. They have been in for about 26 hours. All packages got Tatonka Dust on them so the only thing that will be different is the time they stay in the sous vide.

I lit the Vortex and shortly after tossed on the rack, no sauce other than basting them with the liquid that was left in the bag. I never thought I could have rare beef ribs that were this tender. I cooked them to 135F.

I'll do this again at 48 hours then again at 72 and will try to take the same angle pics so we can see what the deal is.

I cut a rib off after resting a few minutes straight out of the sous vide.

Here's a cut shot after grilling.

On the grill over the Vortex.

That looks great

Comment

Cool experiment...
      Craig
      sigpic

Comment

New avenues! And the Vortex tastes better than a torch...
        In God I trust- All others pay cash...
        Check out the Mad Hunky and products at https://madhunkymeats.com or https://www.facebook.com/MadHunkyMeats
        Lang 60D, The Beast, 18 and 22 WSM, Brinkmann Backroads trailer, Weber 22 Kettle, gutted MB burning watts

Comment

Man that looks great. I, on the other hand love that melted beef you get from long low and slow cooking. I can't wait to see how these turn out though, since I am a huge fan of rare to medium rare steak. I did a tri tip last night on the vortex. Rubbed with Worcestershire and balsamic and dusted with T dust. Put the probe from me thermometer in and put it indirect until it hit 120. Then moved it over direct until it hit 125. Pulled, rested and devoured. Delicious. No pictures. Father's day is just around the corner and I think I'm gonna ask for one of the Anova units so I can join in the sous vide fun.
          A few of my favorite things:
          Good Whiskey
          Good Food
          Bad Girls
          sigpic

NRA Endowment Member
          Certified Glock Armorer

Comment

Great experiment Cheryl!
            sigpic

Comment

Yay, experiments!!

I love experiments. Keep 'em coming.

Dave
              CUHS Metal Shop Reverse Flow
              UDS 1.0
              Afterburner
              Weber Performer
              Blue Thermapen
              Thermoworks Smoke with Gateway
              Thermoworks Chef Alarm
              Auber Smoker Controller
              Proud Smoked-Meat Member #88
              -
              "All welcome, take what ya need, share what ya know. " -- Richtee, 12/2/2010

Comment

oh it is fun playing with our food!! looking good!
                Brian

Certified Sausage & Pepper Head
                Yoder YS640
                Weber Genesis
                Weber 18.5" Kettle
                Weber Performer
                Misfit # 1899

sigpic

Comment

Nice experiment Cheryl, will be following your progress as we slowly experiment with our SV. Time will tell, but I think we have more time in the winter months for SV cooking, spring just gets us in the grilling mood!
                  --- --- --- --- --- --- ---
                  www.OwensBBQ.com

Comment

Squse me, be right back - gotta clean my keyboard off!

Sous Vide might just break the sinue down faster, thought I see some in the pics that would have been melted on a longer cook.
                    Cool esperement, be watchin!
                    Mark
                    sigpic

"Likes smokey old pool rooms, clear mountain mornins. Little warm puppies, children and girls of the night"?
                    Smoked-Meat Certified Sausage Head!

Comment

So, how did the rest of the experiment go?

Comment

Hmm, I missed this thread somehow... Anywho, great experiment, and great looking beef!

So how did the rest of the experiment go?

Drinks well with others

~ P4 ~

Comment

There was a big difference at 48 hours, much better texture. I honestly didn't think it could get any better, but it did. At 72 hours something magical happened. I will definite'y do this again.

I have another experiment working. I made pastrami and cold smoked in the fridge then in to the sous vide for 48 hours at 165. Gonna slice it up soon.
                          Last edited by Squirrel; 05-13-2014, 06:08 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Squirrel View Post
                            There was a big difference at 48 hours, much better texture. I honestly didn't think it could get any better, but it did. At 72 hours something magical happened. I will definite'y due this again.

I have another experiment working. I made pastrami and cold smoked in the fridge then in to the sous vide for 48 hours at 165. Gonna slice it up soon.

Yeah, I been messin' with different times on bovine. I did two eye roasts, one at 24 hours, then the next one at 48 hours... mucho difference! Haven't gotten to the 72 hour mark yet...

Lovin' this thing!

Drinks well with others

~ P4 ~

Comment

I am going to look for some beef ribs today! !
                              Where to Shop -
                              www.OwensBBQ.com

Follow Tatonka Dust on Facebook -
                              https://www.facebook.com/TatonkaDust

Comment

Working...
                              X