Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bear summer sausage w/jalapino and mozzeralla

Hello everyone

Yesterday i made 25 pounds of jalapeno summer sausage with mozzorella cheese i used 17 pounds of bear meat and 8 pounds of pork butt i used pre mixed season from ps seasoning i smoked it with hickory it took 12 hours to get it up to 160 degrees it turned out great here is a pic

Happyness is a full smoker

Looks great and I'll bet tastes even better! Points!
    sigpic

GOSM/propane
    UDS (Cam)/lump
    22.5 Weber Kettle/lump
    Weber Genesis/propane
    Camp Chef Pro 90/ propane

Comment

salmonclubber
      Looks excellent as usual !!!
      Never eaten bear, yet.....
      --- --- --- --- --- --- ---
      www.OwensBBQ.com

Comment

That sounds an looks great! Nice work.
        sigpic

Comment

Looks good!!! Nice job! Never had bear sausage before. I could trade a stick of caribou sausage that I smoked for a stick of bear sausage though... LOL

Blza
          48" Cabelas stainless steel gas smoker
          W/ needle valve mod.
          36" GOSM
          Brinkmann Pro Series 2500 S.S gas grill

sigpic

Comment

Real nice Clubber.
            SCOTT

Comment

that is some real nice looking sausage clubber! awesome!
              Ryan

I have a very strict gun control policy: if there's a gun around, I want to be in control of it.
              Clint Eastwood

sigpic

Comment

Did you have alot of fat render?? I never had bear, but have heard it is fatty and a real heavy game taste??
                Ken

I Should Have Been Rich Instead Of Being So Good Looking

Comment

All I have to say is YUM!!!

Tom

Comment

TH

no not much fat on it about an inch around the lower back but it peeled right off i removed most of the fat they can get real fatty but this was a younger bear maybe later in the year around sept he would be a lot fatter bear meat is real good not gamey at all if taken care of it has a sweet flavor to the meat its great stuff if you take care of it

Happyness is a full smoker

Comment

SC looks great, I was under the same assumption as TH, wow maybe one day I will get to try it as well!
                      Great Post! Im out of points, I will catch you later!

The only one on the block with the super fastest turbo charged

Comment

I would love to try some of that. Looks great.
                        KCBS/CBJ #56408

"Sticks and stones will break your bones, but words will always teach you." -Shihan

Comment

Nice job on the bear summer sausage!
                          Keith

Comment

MMMMmmm Bear = GOOD EATS !!!!!

In my limited experience , I've learned a few things regarding bear meat and fat. ( Most fact , some opinions blended in )
                            The fat is stored on the outside of the meat , rather than marbled in like beef.
                            Here in NY it is not uncommon for a bear to have as much as 4" - 6 " of fat , protects them from the cold and feeds them while they hibernate .
                            Because they live off of the fat while they sleep away the winter , it is created differently than , again beef or even pork fat. The one roast I had that I didn't go back through and trim those last few bits of fat off just seemed to cover your tongue with some nasty slimy yuck ( very technical term )
                            Bears and pigs are closely related , therefore bacon grease for frying a steak , or even rendered down fat from a pork butt blends well with the meat.
                            Bear fat is useful though, render it down and apply to your leather boots for water proofing , use it in a lamp with a wick , and many folks even use it instead of shortening for pastries ( I've never tried that , maybe if I get another one ).

Proper care mentioned by the OP is also paramount. That thick fur 4 + inches of fat = the meat will not cool down nearly as quick as a thin coated deer. Potential for spoilage if it doesn't get cooled down in a timely manner .

As I mentioned , I'm far from an expert , just research online and eating one nasty one as a kid , and thoroughly enjoying ( except for that one roast ) the one I got a few years ago.
                            Phil

Fun Tune , She's a Smoker
                            http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mxiCrcV_R9o

Comment

Saw the title for this and thought someone had made some sausage recipe by Bearcarver

Looks fantastic though
                              There is a cure...http://phoenixtears.ca/

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X