Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Fresh Italian Sausage, first sausage attempt.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fresh Italian Sausage, first sausage attempt.

I have been dragging my feet for a while on getting a meat grinder. Finally got one this week and tried my hand at sausage. I just made a 5 lb batch of sweet italian sausage. Nothing fancy, just wanted to get aquainted with the process a little.

5 lbs of pork butt cut to about 1-2 inch chunks

Added the seasoning, sugar, salt, pepper, fennel seed per Rytek Kutas recipe. Then got ready to grind. Here is a pic of the meat and grinder getting to know each other.

All ground up then added water per the recipe

Stuffed into natural casings and then they took a nap in the fridge overnight.

Threw them on a hot grill with a few chunks of apple the next day for dinner.

All done

My plate, italian sausage, a stuffed pepper and a little pasta

All in all is was great. Texture, flavor all excellent. I need to work on my link twisting but that will come with a little more practice.
    Last edited by wutang; 07-26-2009, 10:45 PM.
    KCBS/CBJ #56408

"Sticks and stones will break your bones, but words will always teach you." -Shihan

Nice looking sausages. Try poaching them before you put them on the grill and keep the heat down and you won't have them splitting. Still a great job for your first sausages.
    Col. Big Guy

Comment

Great job on your first time making sausage. They look tasty and I do detect a nice smoke ring on your plated pic.
      sigpic

GOSM/propane
      UDS (Cam)/lump
      22.5 Weber Kettle/lump
      Weber Genesis/propane
      Camp Chef Pro 90/ propane

Comment

Allright! Another great way to spend lots of time with your meat in the arsenal! :{) Lookin' good Wu.
        In God I trust- All others pay cash...
        Check out the Mad Hunky and products at https://madhunkymeats.com or https://www.facebook.com/MadHunkyMeats
        Lang 60D, The Beast, 18 and 22 WSM, Brinkmann Backroads trailer, Weber 22 Kettle, gutted MB burning watts

Comment

Congrats on your first run... They look good..
          Ken

I Should Have Been Rich Instead Of Being So Good Looking

Comment

You got it man!
            Keith

Comment

Thanks guys. I am pretty happy with the results. My wife was asking for breakfast sausage next and another friend was asking about kielbasa. I want to do some bratwurst too. What to make next, hmmm ... decisions....decisions.
              KCBS/CBJ #56408

"Sticks and stones will break your bones, but words will always teach you." -Shihan

Comment

pretty good for a first attempt - they burst because of the added water.
                It's not actually needed - leave the water out next time and they'll be better :-)
                Bear in mind that ryteks recipes are mostly commercial sausage recipes which are sold by weight. Water is a virtually free, heavy added ingredient that bumps up profits.
                It also helps lubricate the commercial high pressure meat grinders.
                I've added liquid to sausages as part of the recipe (port, wine, beer etc) but never needed to add water just for the sake of it.

But (when it'll let me lol - must have been a good day ran out of points ) for very succesfully doing your first sausage
                Now you do realise you'll have to make all of the sausage you eat ? :-)
                It's fun but never ending lol

Want a kick arse bratwurst recipe ? (you'll need a big food mixer)
                (can't remember if I've posted this here or not - some time later nah must have been on smurf I'll post it up as it's worth doing :-)
                Last edited by curious aardvark; 07-27-2009, 01:52 PM.
                Made In England - Fine Tuned By The USA
                Just call me 'One Grind'

Comment

Yes! That is on list for a few weeks from now but spicy version. Looks good man.
                  sigpic

My Facebook page
                  http://www.facebook.com/topic.php?to...Q/131613189083

Comment

You my friend are a sausage head...He He...Welcome to the club...Once you start this road to the covering... there is no return lol...Kudos bud on your first experience... I just got to put the dancing sausage in here Hey it's my first dancing sausage...
                    ---------------------------------------------------
                    I plan ahead, that way I don't do anything right now.
                    ---------------------------------------------------
                    KCBS CBJ

Comment

Excellent!! Once you have made your own sausage, you'll never want store bought again.
                      This weekend, I ground up a bunch of pork steaks and made Italian and a Jimmy Dean Sage copy. Then I made sausage gravy with some of the JD Sage. Best gravy I've ever had.
                      for beautiful looking sausages.

Tom

Comment

Get on down the road Wutang! Man ya done great! Just really nice!
                        Sunset Eagle Aviation
                        https://www.facebook.com/pages/Sunse...888015?fref=ts <... We sure could use some likes!

Comment

For your 1st try, you did great! You're hooked now! Nothin like making your own.

sigpic
                          Brinkman SnP-w/mods
                          ECB
                          GOSM
                          MES for sticks and sausage
                          30 yr old Weber Kettle
                          Brinkman gasser

Comment

I love and hate seeing guys kick out sausage - fueling my desire to start myself! Great Job Wu!!!
                            Lang 84 Deluxe (sold it, broke my heart)
                            Weber Performer
                            Weber 22.5" OTG
                            Weber Q Tabletop Gasser
                            Bunch of Sausage Makin' Kit
                            Big Azz BBQ Concession Trailer
                            BBQ Food Truck

Comment

Looks great to me. They won't last long. Lol.
                              S-M Misfit #16

If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy. ~ Red Green

It's a shame stupidity isn't painful.

GOSM Propane
                              CharGriller Kamado Cooker "The Akorn"
                              New Braunfels Bandera
                              UniFlame Gas Grill
                              Lil Chief

Comment

Working...
                              X