Made some hot dogs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Made some hot dogs

Amazingly, everything I used to make these I had on hand. Meat used was aprox. 5 1/2 lbs venison, 3 1/2 lbs lean pork butt, and 1 lb beef suet. The lean meats were chunked up and cured in the salt and cure for 24 hours before grinding.
    The meats were ground 3 times then ice water added slowly while I attempted to emulsify with my very cold hands. The meats absorbed 2 cups of water and could have taken a bit more as the dogs were just a little firm.
    They were smoked for 2 hours at around 140 degrees, then poached in 180 degree water until an internal temp of 155.
    Heres some pics...

The seasonings

After grinding and emulsifying

Stuffed and drying

92 hot dogs

grilled

My sons macaroni and cheese dogs

Sorry for the crappy pics
    Keith

They look great
    Chargriller Pro w. sfb
    Ducane 4100 propane grill
    Brinkman Electric

Member # 200

Comment

Nice looking dogs. I have things piling up on my "to-do" list. Great pics too.
      KCBS/CBJ #56408

"Sticks and stones will break your bones, but words will always teach you." -Shihan

Comment

I think they look great! I see you went with the corriander and omitted the mace, how did you like them?
        sigpic

GOSM/propane
        UDS (Cam)/lump
        22.5 Weber Kettle/lump
        Weber Genesis/propane
        Camp Chef Pro 90/ propane

Comment

Originally posted by lcruzen View Post
          I think they look great! I see you went with the corriander and omitted the mace, how did you like them?
          They were a little underseasoned. Not the fault of the coriander. I did my taste test before I added the water and the flavors got a bit dilluted. But the combination was excellent. Thanks
          Keith

Comment

Would you mind posting the measured ingredients for the batch or is that a trade secret?? I am looking for a recipe that I will like and that looks like one I will.

Comment

Jim I kind of combined some different recipes, and once you get the salt/cure amounts correct, the rest can be changed to your liking. With that said...to the best of my memory for 10 pounds...

You can use a combination of meat but try to get at least 20 percent fat.
              5 Tbs salt
              2 tsp cure #1

2 Tbs white pepper
              4 Tbs paprika
              2 Tbs mustard powder
              1 tsp ground celery seed
              2 tsp ground coriander
              1 Tbs garlic powder
              2 cups dry milk powder
              3 cups ice water
              Without a food processor...
              Cut meats into 1" chunks. Add salt and cure to meats. Try to cure different types of meats separately. Cure for 24 to 48 hours in fridge. Do not cure pure fat if any. Partially freeze and grind all meat and fat through 1/4' die. Refreeze and grind through 1/8" die. Mix all ingredients except water until very sticky. Refreeze and grind again with small die. Add 1 cup ice water and mix until sticky again. Keep mixing aggressively and adding water a little at a time until paste is not so sticky.

I would use the largest sheep casing you can get.
              Keith

Comment

good looking hotdogs - , dogs are an awkward bugger to pull off and those look perfect :-)
                Made In England - Fine Tuned By The USA
                Just call me 'One Grind'

Comment

Just real nice Man! May hafta do it again, do like my own! Fine work ya did!
                  Sunset Eagle Aviation
                  https://www.facebook.com/pages/Sunse...888015?fref=ts <... We sure could use some likes!

Comment

Mac and Cheese dog that looks fantastic. Great job
                    Col. Big Guy

Comment

good looking dogs thanks for the info

Happyness is a full smoker

Comment

Look great! I don't like the regular "made with any part of any animal we have laying around" dogs (actually, I DO like them, but...trying to eat healthier) and so I've been buying beef dogs (probably still all parts included). You've got me wanting to try some of these now too.

Comment

Originally posted by smokeguy View Post
                          Look great! I don't like the regular "made with any part of any animal we have laying around" dogs (actually, I DO like them, but...trying to eat healthier)
                          Who says animal lips are unhealthy?
                          In God I trust- All others pay cash...
                          Check out the Mad Hunky and products at https://madhunkymeats.com or https://www.facebook.com/MadHunkyMeats
                          Lang 60D, The Beast, 18 and 22 WSM, Brinkmann Backroads trailer, Weber 22 Kettle, gutted MB burning watts

Comment

Best lookin' hot dogs I've seen in a while.

Tom

Comment

Originally posted by Richtee View Post
                              Who says animal lips are unhealthy?
                              It's not just the lips. I always heard the ingredients were eyes, ears, lips, snouts and udders. Now doesn't that sound like a good Oscar Meyer weenie?
                              sigpic
                              Smoke Vault 24

Comment

Working...
                              X