Ain't no GOAT thread, so...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ain't no GOAT thread, so...

Got pressed for time last night, so I rummaged around in the freezer for some smoked and pulled goat leg quarter. A little warmup, and it made a great quick meal! I thought I'd snap a quick pic before devouring these sammies. Goat is my favorite smoked meat, bar none. I raise it, and last night I ate it. And it was GOOOOOD!!!

Those look grea-a-a-a-a-t! Sorry, couldn't resist that one.
    sigpic

GOSM/propane
    UDS (Cam)/lump
    22.5 Weber Kettle/lump
    Weber Genesis/propane
    Camp Chef Pro 90/ propane

Comment

From what I hear, in some parts of the country, goat is a pretty profitable livestock. We sell quite a bit of goat feed at the feedmill where I work.

But I aint never ate any. Yet...
      It seems like it would be a bit lean for smokin and pullin...
      Craig
      sigpic

Comment

I love goat but would never have thought bout smoking it.

Any tips at all?

Herb
        Chargriller Pro w. sfb
        Ducane 4100 propane grill
        Brinkman Electric

Member # 200

Comment

Cabrito is a very popular meat to smoke/ bbq in these parts. Lots of cook-offs and such. The best is supposed to be just weeks old and never off mommas milk.
          Keith

Comment

Originally posted by Kingudaroad View Post
            Cabrito is a very popular meat to smoke/ bbq in these parts. Lots of cook-offs and such. The best is supposed to be just weeks old and never off mommas milk.
            The "veal" of the goat world eh? Never had goat in any form, that I know of.
            In God I trust- All others pay cash...
            Check out the Mad Hunky and products at https://madhunkymeats.com or https://www.facebook.com/MadHunkyMeats
            Lang 60D, The Beast, 18 and 22 WSM, Brinkmann Backroads trailer, Weber 22 Kettle, gutted MB burning watts

Comment

love goat with a spicy sauce.been years since i had any thoughim bout the only one who likes it so i dont cook it much
              sigpic
              GO GATORS.
              Raymond Cato
              MOJO SMOKEHOUSE BBQ TEAM.
              125 Gallon Stickburner yet to be named
              BBQ GRILLWARE STAINLESS CHARCOAL
              2 ecbs
              bbq pro offset
              18.5"WSM
              22" WSM
              22" WEBER OTS
              smoked meat member #57

Comment

never had goat or lamb...but i will try anything once....looks like pork to me....
                Mike
                Oklahoma City
                22.5 Generic (gettin ready to be dismantle for the Drum) Kettle Grill
                Weber 22.5 Performer
                GOSM 3405gw
                Boomer Sooner Drum
                Maverick ET-732
                Various Cast Iron Skillets and Dutch Ovens
                A-MAZE-N 6X6 Smoker

Comment

Originally posted by lynsey123 View Post
                  I love goat but would never have thought bout smoking it.

Any tips at all?

Herb
                  This is not cabrito, which is really kids that have been pulled from their mamas and processed. I do mine at 6-8 months of age, when I get better yield and yet still have young, sweet meat with not a hint of gamey flavor.

Goat is best when slow cooked, though I do goat chops on the Weber or gasser all the time and they come out tender. The secret to that is the marinade!

On the smoker, goat quarters or hams or however you might get yours are simple to do, really just about like pork butts. The ribs work out about the same way as baby backs. You gotta be careful on cooking time on the ribs, or good with the foil, or both. They are easy to get overdone and dry. But done right, oh my gosh, they are good.

I coat my quarters well with el cheapo Italian dressing, then slather on brown suger right out of the bag. Sometimes I use black and cayenne papper if I am of a mood to have some heat to them. But usually, I like them sweet. Then on to the smoker. I'm personally limited on salt intake, but for someone who is not, a few passes with a shaker prior to smoking will satisfy that craving.

Here's some leg quarters and ribs on my smoker, just on the grate and ready to go. This has four hams, two on each end, and ribs in the middle. The ribs in front had been coated with Frank's Red Hot sauce, an experiment I did. Real simple. Real good.

Goat is much lower in fat and higher in Omega-3 oils than beef, especially if it is all grass-fed, as mine is. Goat is the most-eaten meat on the planet, and there's a reason -- it is good!

Comment

sarnies look good - meat looks a little leaner than pork.

never had goat - keep looking but no ethnic butchers round these parts.

But goat is the world's no1 eaten red meat (edit: lol you beat me to the post by about 2 seconds) . So it must have something going for it :-)
                    Made In England - Fine Tuned By The USA
                    Just call me 'One Grind'

Comment

interesting looking smoker - any more pics ?
                      Looks like a drum on it's side, Hmm.
                      Made In England - Fine Tuned By The USA
                      Just call me 'One Grind'

Comment

Not bad... Not Baaaaad at all.. There must be 150-200 head of Barbados on the property where I hunt... I have had them in snack stix... Smoke Doc made them...They were good eats..
                        Ken

I Should Have Been Rich Instead Of Being So Good Looking

Comment

Originally posted by curious aardvark View Post
                          Standard SFB 55 gal drum smoker CA..or so I figger. Think home brew Chargriller thing.
                          Check out the Mad Hunky and products at https://madhunkymeats.com or https://www.facebook.com/MadHunkyMeats
                          Lang 60D, The Beast, 18 and 22 WSM, Brinkmann Backroads trailer, Weber 22 Kettle, gutted MB burning watts

Comment

Originally posted by curious aardvark View Post

Here you go CA....

http://www.smoked-meat.com/forum/showthread.php?t=2245

Ken

I Should Have Been Rich Instead Of Being So Good Looking

Comment

Originally posted by Texas-Hunter View Post
                              AhhHA! It's the lower box guy! Gotta be a bit more even in heat distribution going this route I'd think. I like that baby!

Comment

Working...
                              X