Smoked meats and antidepressants

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Smoked meats and antidepressants

I just ran across this bit of medical info... I did not know this..

Check the label on your happy pills. If they belong to a class called monoamine oxidase inhibitors or MAOIs--brand names Marplan, Nardil, Emsam, or Parnate--combining them with foods rich in the amino acid tyramine can cause life-threatening spikes in blood pressure, says Gullickson. Unfortunately, the list of no-nos includes not only summer sausage and smoked salmon, but also red wine, sauerkraut, hot dogs, aged cheeses, soy sauce, and draft or home-brewed beer. The good news? Canned or bottled beer probably won't hurt you--and MAOIs have largely been replaced by newer-generation antidepressants, which don't have the same effect on tyramine levels, says Nicole Gattas, Pharm.D., B.C.P.S., assistant professor of pharmacy practice at St. Louis College of Pharmacy.
    Ken

I Should Have Been Rich Instead Of Being So Good Looking

That's depressing
    Pete
    Large BGE
    Char Broil Tru-Infrared Commercial series

Comment

Originally posted by Abelman View Post
      That's depressing
      Indeed...

I need a beer...In a can please...
      Craig
      sigpic

Comment

No happy pills fer me...no meds, the occasional assburn from Louie! Yes I Can Pass a Pisz Test the FAA loves peee!
        Sunset Eagle Aviation
        https://www.facebook.com/pages/Sunse...888015?fref=ts <... We sure could use some likes!

Comment

Originally posted by Slanted88 View Post
          the FAA loves peee!
          Wish the welfare division of the Gov't did too.

Nice find Ken. Lord knows there's plenty of reason to watch one's blood pressure in the world today, eh.
          In God I trust- All others pay cash...
          Check out the Mad Hunky and products at https://madhunkymeats.com or https://www.facebook.com/MadHunkyMeats
          Lang 60D, The Beast, 18 and 22 WSM, Brinkmann Backroads trailer, Weber 22 Kettle, gutted MB burning watts

Comment

Originally posted by Richtee View Post
            Wish the welfare division of the Gov't did too.

Nice find Ken. Lord knows there's plenty of reason to watch one's blood pressure in the world today, eh.

I know is says that most of the MAOIs have been upgraded to bigger and better meds but just be careful.. Lord knows I would hate to be serving some grub here at the house not knowing or asking if anyone is taking these type of Meds.. Just as someone not asking or me saying that I fried the potatoes in peanut oil and find out as they are falling to the ground clutch their throat gasping for air due to them being allergic to peanuts..
            Ken

I Should Have Been Rich Instead Of Being So Good Looking

Comment

Originally posted by Texas-Hunter View Post
              I know is says that most of the MAOIs have been upgraded to bigger and better meds but just be careful.. Lord knows I would hate to be serving some grub here at the house not knowing or asking if anyone is taking these type of Meds.. Just as someone not asking or me saying that I fried the potatoes in peanut oil and find out as they are falling to the ground clutch their throat gasping for air due to them being allergic to peanuts..
              You are so right with the peanuts! Cat was flying banners...allergic to peanuts...ate Nabs for a snack & wadded the airplane up from his reaction...Thanks for this & that what goes in your body!
              Sunset Eagle Aviation
              https://www.facebook.com/pages/Sunse...888015?fref=ts <... We sure could use some likes!

Comment

Interesting for sure...... And food allergies of all sorts are always important..... Have a friend who has a kid who is allergic to cheese/dairy, and one of our buddies gave him a hot dog that had cheese in it, withoot knowing...... Thank God for the pen!
                sigpic

Comment

Smoking meat is my anti-depressant
                  sigpicSmoke meat, not crack
                  Sullys bangin' ass jerkey-
                  Pepperoni-Pernil-Spicy snack stix-Ryans crab cakes-Dip for smoked fish-Lox-Beer brittle-Pizza crust-Spinach and artichoke dip-Garlic link-Pizza Links-

Comment

Originally posted by Fishawn View Post
                    Interesting for sure...... And food allergies of all sorts are always important..... Have a friend who has a kid who is allergic to cheese/dairy, and one of our buddies gave him a hot dog that had cheese in it, withoot knowing...... Thank God for the pen!
                    As soon as I started with the Bee Keeping, asked the doc for an Epi-pen script. No problem. I'm not alergic to anything but everyone should have one in their first aid kit, also add Benadryl for mild reactions or lacking a pen.
                    JT

Comment

Originally posted by Charcuteryan View Post
                      Smoking meat is my anti-depressant
                      smokin Cannabis is mine!

works within 15 seconds too.

Lang 60 Mobile deluxe

Captain-N-Smoke BBQ Team(retired)

Comment

Hmmm, How 'bout 900 mg of Labetalol per day?

Can I still eat smoked meat?

Bear
                        Vietnam Vet---9th Inf. Div. Mekong Delta (1969)
                        Easy to follow Step By Steps: Pulled Cured Boston Butt Ham and Buckboard Bacon--Smoked Salmon-- Bacon-On-A-Stick--Bacon (Extra Smokey)--Boneless Cured & Smoked Pork Chops & CB--Canadian Bacon & Dried Beef--Ham Twins (Double Smoked)--Double Smoked Hams X 4--Bear Logs (All Beef--Unstuffed)--Smoked Bear Loaf (All Beef-Mild Hot)--Prime Rib (My Best ever)--Another Prime Rib--Chucky (Pulled Beef)--Twin Chuckies--Pork and Beef Spares--Rare Beef (for Sammies)--Raspberry Chiffon Pie---

Mom & 4 Cub litter---Potter County, PA:

Comment

eating food cheers me up :-)

Not that I ever get depressed, but if I did I'd reach for chocolate or cheese or jerky or bacon or a donut or a danish.... before ever opening a packet of pills :-)
                          Made In England - Fine Tuned By The USA
                          Just call me 'One Grind'

Comment

Working...
                          X