turkey how should i do it.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• turkey how should i do it.

We are going to have a cook out. I was disscussing what mom and dad wanted me to stick in the smoker. No pork because my aunt can not eat it. mom did not care for the bbq beef idea. I still do though

She said something about a ham and like a thanskgiving dinner. Well my aunt can not eat it either. Then i though a nice big turkey

HEre are my questions
    should i brine it.
    WHat spices go well with a turkey.
    HOw long should i smoke it in my bradley and is mesquete ok for it.
    Any other tips would be great.

Dang Bigtim.....ask yer aunt what the hell can she eat! Then get after that. Maybe she can get on a course of smoked destruction!
    Sunset Eagle Aviation
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Sunse...888015?fref=ts <... We sure could use some likes!

Comment

If you want to do a Turkey... And since its for your aunt & this is your first.. How about just a simple salt water brine and smoke with hickory... Light on the smoke and allow the flavors of the meat to come out...

Then from there you can get a idea of what other seasoning you can add to your brine..
      Ken

I Should Have Been Rich Instead Of Being So Good Looking

Comment

If you'd like to cut down on the cooking time for the turkey plus get the added benefit of more smoke penetrating it from both sides, try Spatchcocking or Butterflying it. I do it fairly often over our campfire at our lake place and everyone goes crazy for it. I did it with a chicken in the smoker not long ago and the smoke penetrated much better than if I'd cooked the bird whole.

Here's a link to a YouTube vidoe showing how to spatchcock a chicken. A turkey is done just the same, it's just larger.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GGKLtbiUflk

Comment

Originally posted by Texas-Hunter View Post
          If you want to do a Turkey... And since its for your aunt & this is your first.. How about just a simple salt water brine and smoke with hickory... Light on the smoke and allow the flavors of the meat to come out...

Then from there you can get a idea of what other seasoning you can add to your brine..
          Mr T's advice is spot on. (as usual)

I actually did a turkey over the weekend...was going to brine, however the gods weren't with me (AKA: running late + no room in the fridge to store it while brining + no ice for the cooler + etc.).

I did however smoke it in Hickory, and I injected it with store bought broth as much as possible in the breast area. Ran the smoker on the hot side ~275 +. Gave it a Olive Oil rub, and sprinkled it with a store bought poultry rub.

Tastiest Turkey our guests, and myself have ever had. I couldn't have been more pleased with the results, moist and the hickory was excellent.
          Weber Smokey Joe
          Weber 22.5" Silver
          Weber Performer Platinum
          Smokey Mountain Gas Vertical Water Smoker
          Big Green Egg XL with iQue 110
          [SIGPIC][SIGPIC]

Comment

Here's how I do my thanksgiving turkey... it always turns out great...

Make enough brine to fully cover the bird. I usually make a two gallon batch for normal size turkey but it really depends on the size of the bird and the container you're putting it in. I use a 5 gallon stainless steel pot (my brewpot from home-brewing) because I boil the bird in the brine.

For each gallon of water add the following:

3/4 cup non-iodonized salt
            1 cup brown sugar
            3 cups apple cider
            1/2 cup lemon juice
            1/4 cup Worcestershire sauce
            1 oz maple flavoring
            1 tsp ginger
            3 Tbsp ground black pepper
            2 Tbsp minced garlic
            1 cup dry minced onions
            2 bay leaves
            2 Tbsp Italian seasoning

put the brine in a non-reactive container. Add the bird and soak overnight in the fridge.

Next day, take the bird out of the brine and bring the brine to a slow boil. Boil the bird for about 3 or 4 minutes per pound (I usually never go over 15 minutes though) this step kills any bacteria on the outside or in the cavity of the bird, it's not really to cook it.

Take the bird out of the brine and let it air dry until it's kind of tacky to the touch. This is a good time to get the smoker going.

I like to go on the upper side of the temp range. Say 275-325. But with my current MES I'm limited to about 275 which works ok. Smoke over the wood of choice (I've used alder, maple, hickory and even mesquite with good results) until internal temperature of the bird up to 160 degrees or so.

If you like the skin a little crisper, you can always smoke for a couple hours then finish up in the oven at a higher temp if you smoker can't go very high. But I've never had anyone complain about mine done even as low as 250.
            Mike
            Life In Pit Row

Comment

Slaughterhouse Poultry Brine By Tip Piper of Hillbilly Vittles
              1 ½ Gal Water
              ½ C Salt - Kosher
              ½ C Dark Brown Sugar
              2 tsp Garlic Powder
              2 tsp Onion Powder
              2 tsp Cajun Spice (Louisiana Cajun Seasoning)
              2 tsp Celery Seed

Slaughterhouse Poultry Injection
              ½ Pkg Good Seasons Italian Dressing
              2 tsp Garlic Powder
              2 tsp Celery Seed
              2 TBS melted Butter (non salted)
              2 C Apple Cider

Slaughterhouse Spritz (Good fer everthin!)
              8 oz Apple Cider
              6 oz Water
              4 oz Whiskey
              2 oz Cider Vinegar

I'd use hickory er apple, maple be nice to, Mesquitte is a heavy smoke, I'd cut it with somthin else to.
              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by travcoman45 View Post
                I'd use hickory er apple, maple be nice to, Mesquitte is a heavy smoke, I'd cut it with somthin else to.
                I was thinking the same thing. I like pecan as my all purpose wood and use quite a bit of apple and cherry.
                KCBS/CBJ #56408

"Sticks and stones will break your bones, but words will always teach you." -Shihan

Comment

Working...
                X