X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anova Sous Vide Cooker Review

Ok, I posted pictures of the unit when I got it here:
    http://www.smoked-meat.com/forum/showthread.php?t=34203

I took on my first couple of small projects this weekend. The unit's controls are simple and intuitive. The instruction book is minimalist, but not really needed anyway. The unit is solidly built. Heavy gauge stainless (I didn't measure the gauge, because for most folks it doesn't mean much anyway). I at first thought that the impeller was too small, but it kicked the water around in my 8 quart stock pot quite briskly. It is almost silent when running and the screen blanks after a bit when running. Just touch it and it lights up again. I didn't set the timer and just let it run until I stopped it. You can set the timer to shut the unit down, or to just sound an alarm. Nice feature. I also like that it uses a standard PC cord, so a replacement is readily available and inexpensive. The only think I wish were different is that when you start up the unit you select Fahrenheit or Celsius. That is the only time you can change it . I wish I could change dynamically, but that is a small thing indeed.

First project was 64° eggs. I just love a properly poached egg. Apparently there is some general agreement that 64° or 63°eggs are the perfectly cooked egg. Well, I can't disagree. The pictures of the 63° eggs looked just a bit loose on the white part, so I went for 64°. Bring the water up to temp, drop in the eggs with a slotted spoon, and let them run for 45 minutes. This was my dinner on Friday night. Cracked them and plopped them down on a piece of buttered toast. Little Kosher salt and cracked black pepper and they were truly delicious. You see, at this temperature, the white and the yolk are exactly the same texture. Wow! I will go for 63° next time.

After the eggs at 10:00 pm, I fired up the unit and brought it to 123°. When it hit that I plopped a frozen, vacuum sealed Tri Tip into the water. I used heavy duty foil to form a lid so the water wouldn't evaporate. Let it run for 22 hours. Sunday evening, I pulled it out. There was quite a lot of liquid in the bag (as in blood). I removed the meat, dried it off and seasoned it with coarse sea salt and black pepper. I placed it over a very hot Vortex for 2 minutes per side. Sliced it and dove in.

Mrs. Snarlingiron and I agree that we think that this is the best steak we have had. The meat was literally like butter. You could cut it with a fork. This Tri Tip was well marbled, but the marbling had all melted into the meat which made it very rich, very beefy and absolutely delicious.

Bottom line, this unit is a winner. Sturdy and solid, easy to use and very quiet. For $199.00, it is hard to beat.

I will post some pictures of the cooks this evening when I get home.
    Last edited by Snarlingiron; 06-26-2014, 04:52 PM.
    A few of my favorite things:
    Good Whiskey
    Good Food
    Bad Girls
    sigpic

NRA Endowment Member
    Certified Glock Armorer

Thanks for the review! My two favorite things to sous vide are tri-tip and poached eggs. I also go for 147°F eggs.

Comment

Thanks for the review... Sous Vide cooker is definitely on my list of things to get and your review helps nudge me in the right direction!
      Smokem if you got em

Yoder YS640
      Weber EP-310 Gasser Grill
      A-Maz-N-Pellet-Smoker (AMZNPS)
      A-Maz-N-Tube-Smoker (AMZNTS)
      Frogmats
      Maverick ET 732
      Super Fast Purple Thermopen

Deano

"May the thin blue smoke be with you"

sigpic

Comment

Thanks for the review! My two favorite things to sous vide are tri-tip and poached eggs. I also go for 147°F eggs.
        Thanks, Cheryl. The eggs are damn good. One of my projects soon to come is 72 hour short ribs, ala Cheryl.

Thanks for the review... Sous Vide cooker is definitely on my list of things to get and your review helps nudge me in the right direction!
        You are welcome, sir. There are several out there in this price range. The Sans Air comes to mind, and I'm sure it is just as good. I read a bunch of reviews before I bought the Anova. I am quite pleased with it.
        A few of my favorite things:
        Good Whiskey
        Good Food
        Bad Girls
        sigpic

NRA Endowment Member
        Certified Glock Armorer

Comment

Nice review!
          sigpic

Comment

I am in LOVE with this method of cooking! Especially when coupled with the Weber kettle and Vortex...

Can't wait to see the pix bro!!

Drinks well with others

~ P4 ~

Comment

Sounds Great---Can't wait for the pics!!

Thanks for the report.

Bear
              Vietnam Vet---9th Inf. Div. Mekong Delta (1969)
              Easy to follow Step By Steps: Pulled Cured Boston Butt Ham and Buckboard Bacon--Smoked Salmon-- Bacon-On-A-Stick--Bacon (Extra Smokey)--Boneless Cured & Smoked Pork Chops & CB--Canadian Bacon & Dried Beef--Ham Twins (Double Smoked)--Double Smoked Hams X 4--Bear Logs (All Beef--Unstuffed)--Smoked Bear Loaf (All Beef-Mild Hot)--Prime Rib (My Best ever)--Another Prime Rib--Chucky (Pulled Beef)--Twin Chuckies--Pork and Beef Spares--Rare Beef (for Sammies)--Raspberry Chiffon Pie---

Mom & 4 Cub litter---Potter County, PA:

Comment

Another thing Mr Snarly is not mentioning, the Anova is tall thin and compact in the cooking "arena", very small footprint. My commercial units are kinda big and bulky. I can use them in different containers but no where near as easily as the Anova. I am lookin at getting another and Anova might be it. After using for a while I can see a use for four or five in a catering situation. I already have three but - Well, how would Fishbreath survive with JUST three Webers????
                Mark
                sigpic

"Likes smokey old pool rooms, clear mountain mornins. Little warm puppies, children and girls of the night"?
                Smoked-Meat Certified Sausage Head!

Comment

Originally posted by Mark R View Post
                  Another thing Mr Snarly is not mentioning, the Anova is tall thin and compact in the cooking "arena", very small footprint. My commercial units are kinda big and bulky. I can use them in different containers but no where near as easily as the Anova. I am lookin at getting another and Anova might be it. After using for a while I can see a use for four or five in a catering situation. I already have three but - Well, how would Fishbreath survive with JUST three Webers????
                  My thoughts exactly. I'm definitely gonna get another couple of them along with a vacuum chamber.

Comment

Originally posted by Squirrel View Post
                    My thoughts exactly. I'm definitely gonna get another couple of them along with a vacuum chamber.
                    Great minds stink alike!
                    Mark
                    sigpic

"Likes smokey old pool rooms, clear mountain mornins. Little warm puppies, children and girls of the night"?

Comment

Originally posted by Snarlingiron View Post
                      You are welcome, sir. There are several out there in this price range. The Sans Air comes to mind, and I'm sure it is just as good. I read a bunch of reviews before I bought the Anova. I am quite pleased with it.
                      Don't forget about the surplus/older medical hot bath units... I got little programmability..well..OK none... but my thermapen pokes nicely thru a styrofoam top..and the unit will hold within a degree or two of where I tweak it to. Ended up costing me $40.
                      In God I trust- All others pay cash...
                      Check out the Mad Hunky and products at https://madhunkymeats.com or https://www.facebook.com/MadHunkyMeats
                      Lang 60D, The Beast, 18 and 22 WSM, Brinkmann Backroads trailer, Weber 22 Kettle, gutted MB burning watts

Comment

Originally posted by Squirrel View Post
                        I'm definiteLee going after the Anova unit... tell me more aboot the vacuum chamber Cheryl... what you looking at?

Drinks well with others

~ P4 ~

Comment

Can't wait for mine to arrive. I was actually a backer for the new Anova machine, which ships October 2014. Gonna try and smoke a brisket for 2 hours low and slow and then Sous Vide it for 48 hours. Stay tuned for the results.

Comment

Originally posted by BSK4000BOOM View Post
                            Can't wait for mine to arrive. I was actually a backer for the new Anova machine, which ships October 2014. Gonna try and smoke a brisket for 2 hours low and slow and then Sous Vide it for 48 hours. Stay tuned for the results.
                            Been there in reverse. Sous Vide for 36 hours them smoke = excellent!
                            Mark
                            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Mark R View Post
                              Been there in reverse. Sous Vide for 36 hours them smoke = excellent!
                              Haven't done a briskie yet, butt I like to smoke/sear afterwards...

Drinks well with others

~ P4 ~

Comment

Working...
                              X