Thinking about taking the plunge!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thinking about taking the plunge!

Well after starting my smoking journey on a charbroil silver offset,I soon moved up to a lang 60 mobile deluxe. The at a BBQ contest I won a Bubba Q Drum in a raffle. Last week, my buddy's old steel round top fridge died. It is a perfect candidate for a cold smoker.I gave him my charbroild silver with mods, and he gave me the old heavier than crap refridge. I am doing some research before I start cutting and adding things to it. I will try to take a few pics in the next week or so, and maybe get started on it before the end of summer. I love my Lang and my Drum, but I want to build this thing for fish and jerky,and maybe Bacon or snack sticks in the future. I haven't decided if it will be charcoal or electric fired, maybe even a combo?

If anyone has any ideas, I sure would appreciate some input. I know Danger Dan has a great rig, I may need to consult with him.

stay tuned for a continuation on this process!
    Lang 60 Mobile deluxe

Captain-N-Smoke BBQ Team(retired)

I am looking forward to seeing what you come up with. I definately see some bacon in your future.
    KCBS/CBJ #56408

"Sticks and stones will break your bones, but words will always teach you." -Shihan

Comment

Kewl beans Dan.... I know DangerDan built one for day aging sausage.. And MossyMo did a LP conversion on his.. And DaveNH built his out with a side fire box, but sicne change it..

Looking forward to seeing it as well..
      Ken

I Should Have Been Rich Instead Of Being So Good Looking

Comment

Seems like the Lang would work ok with just a very small fire in the fire box being that it is reverse flow. you could rig up some hanging rods that you could remove when doing your regular Q. Just a thought but maybe your looking for a more "set it & forget it" type smoker.

Anyway Dan, glad to see you entering the world of cured meats!
        sigpic

GOSM/propane
        UDS (Cam)/lump
        22.5 Weber Kettle/lump
        Weber Genesis/propane
        Camp Chef Pro 90/ propane

Comment

Yeah Capt Dan I got some advice for you: Don't take as long as I did to build it. They sure love to razz you here
          ---------------------------------------------------
          I plan ahead, that way I don't do anything right now.
          ---------------------------------------------------
          KCBS CBJ

Comment

I am looking more for a set it and let it go type compaired to stoking a fire every hr. here is a couple pics of the beginning of the project!

The bottom is where the guts are, and that will be gutted. I may fit a small insulated type of firebox under there, or outside and connected like D Dan did, but I also want to be able to dry jerky without any additional smoke, so I am thinking about a large hotplate with a cast iron frypan for chunks, and even a chunk or two of charcoal, or some preburnt wood.

The part in the middle of the upper area was the freezer for this hotpoint dinasour, Thats gonna go too.The inside is all baked on porcelean over thick steel. The weatherstrip is intact and in very good shape too. Should hold heat very well.
            Lang 60 Mobile deluxe

Comment

Good luck on the build Capt. We have a couple fridges like that at the shop, hmmmmm.

Comment

Get after it!....time's wastin!
                Sunset Eagle Aviation
                https://www.facebook.com/pages/Sunse...888015?fref=ts <... We sure could use some likes!

Comment

I have a similar fridge that I've been debating on what to do with it....my main problem is that it still works!!! I've even considered getting an external thermostat that will keep temps better and making it into a cheese cave....

as for your conversion....maybe a good sized electric element coupled with a PID controller...something along these lines...??

http://auberins.com/index.php?main_p...&products_id=4

A bit pricey, yes.....but, for "set-it-and-forget-it" accuracy....I think it's just the ticket.

That was what my research led me to anyway....just an idea for ya.

L8r,
                  Eric

Comment

Cool. Looking forward to seeing this.
                    sigpic

Comment

Thanks Eric for the link. I will look along those lines . I know it is gonna cost me a couple hundred to get this to be what I want.It will be something that I don't want to do a second time.
                      Lang 60 Mobile deluxe

Comment

Originally posted by Capt Dan View Post
                        Thanks Eric for the link. I will look along those lines . I know it is gonna cost me a couple hundred to get this to be what I want.It will be something that I don't want to do a second time.

there ya go dan, plan it and do it right the first time and prolly end up saving money than redoing something you dont like. if i was to do one a them i would have an external smoke generator and pipe the smoke in, have an adjustable length pipe to help adjust for different temperatures. maybe hook a hotplate to a thermostat to maintain an exact smoker box temp. make sure there is a shield over it to prevent a grease fire etc...

that will make one heck of a jerky/fish smoker!! cant wait for more details.
                        Charbroil SFB
                        GOSM
                        MES
                        Dutch Ovens and other CI
                        Little Chief, Big Chief, No Name water smoker
                        Weber 22" gold, Smokey Joe, WSM 22"

Smoked-Meat Certified Sausage Head

sigpic

Comment

I'll be watching this build as I have a similar project in the short future ,I like the idea of the dual heat option. those old fridges just look nice with the rounded corners and contours.Keep us posted on your progress.

This is my project
                          smoker box 001.jpg

smoker box 002.jpg
                          Bill
                          There's room for all of Gods creatures.....Right next to my mashed Potatoes

Comment

i'd just fix it & it'd be my beer fridge. we had 1 in the man cave & the freezer part was just perfect for a 1/2 gallon of bacardi.
                            but thats me.
                            brink vertical charcoal(the carp)
                            18" old smokey charcoal grill/smoker
                            cast iron Hibachi
                            22" Kettle w/ "Smoke-EZ" styled riser extension
                            & rotisserator
                            12x7 wells cargo vending trailer(mods in progress)
                            stuffer,slicer & more carp than i can fit in it...
                            Marshall amps & various awesome guitars,drums,P.A.,etc.recording studio.....

Blues-N-Cues Concessions & Catering
                            http://blues-n-cuesbbq.com/
                            my music recordings-
                            http://www.reverbnation.com/rlcltd

Comment

Originally posted by Earache_My_Eye View Post
                              I have a similar fridge that I've been debating on what to do with it....my main problem is that it still works!!! I've even considered getting an external thermostat that will keep temps better and making it into a cheese cave....

as for your conversion....maybe a good sized electric element coupled with a PID controller...something along these lines...??

http://auberins.com/index.php?main_p...&products_id=4

A bit pricey, yes.....but, for "set-it-and-forget-it" accuracy....I think it's just the ticket.

That was what my research led me to anyway....just an idea for ya.

L8r,
                              Eric

Maybe you could trade it in for "Cash for Clunkers" Ha!!!

Comment

Working...
                              X