A Daniel Boone problem?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A Daniel Boone problem?

I decided to try the pellet route and picked up a Daniel Boone today and after putting it together I started the burn in process. I've never owned a pellet smoker so maybe this is normal but anyway, the fan or blower is not a constant sound. It's a rhythmic sound blowing every second(loud, quiet, loud, quiet). Is the blower supposed to be a constant? I would assume that's normal for the auger but not the blower/fan. I was also getting a oul error during the burn in but went away after it got over 250. I'm also getting more smoke out of the lid than the stack. Thanks in advance.......
    MES SS
    Weber Kettle Gold 22.5"
    Weber Genesis
    Green Mountain Daniel Boone

My guess is the fan is getting signals for temp control and increasing and decreasing its speed as it is programmed to do? Just a guess, interesting to see what the "real" answer is
    sigpic

Comment

It did that all the way up until 350 and kept doing it but once I kicked it up to 500 it was a steady blower. Once it hit that, it started the loud quiet thing so I suppose you are right. Now to keep the smoke in the chamber......and figure out the error.
      MES SS
      Weber Kettle Gold 22.5"
      Weber Genesis

Comment

I think a couple folks here have the Daniel Boone, maybe they can help?
        sigpic

Comment

That's normal. That is part of the temperature control algorithym. Mine puffs its way to set point also. The farther the actual temp is away from your setpoint the more roar you will get until getting closer to setpoint.. Make sure your vent cap is almost wide open too.
          sigpic
          GMG Daniel Boone
          UDS
          Weber 22.5" Kettle (blk)
          Vision Kamado grill
          Weber Genesis Silver
          Smokin Tex
          MES 40 with legs Gen 2.5
          Maverick ET 732
          Brown and lime green ThermaPens
          2 orange ThermoPops
          A-Maze-N Tube 18"
          A-Maze-N Smoker 5"x8"
          Vortex

Comment

Originally posted by Mossy View Post
            I decided to try the pellet route and picked up a Daniel Boone today and after putting it together I started the burn in process. I've never owned a pellet smoker so maybe this is normal but anyway, the fan or blower is not a constant sound. It's a rhythmic sound blowing every second(loud, quiet, loud, quiet). Is the blower supposed to be a constant? I would assume that's normal for the auger but not the blower/fan. I was also getting a oul error during the burn in but went away after it got over 250. I'm also getting more smoke out of the lid than the stack. Thanks in advance.......
            http://www.smoked-meat.com/forum/showthread.php?t=34391
            LavaLock hi-temp nomex seal gasket material...
            ~All that is gold does not glitter ~ Not all those that wander are lost~
            ~20" Yoder "Swiss Army Knife" Stick Burner~

Comment

Originally posted by zombini View Post
              That's normal. That is part of the temperature control algorithym. Mine puffs its way to set point also. The farther the actual temp is away from your setpoint the more roar you will get until getting closer to setpoint.. Make sure your vent cap is almost wide open too.
              I assume you are talking about the stove cap? If so, it's only about a half inch below highest. And thanks for the info on the blower, makes sense.
              MES SS
              Weber Kettle Gold 22.5"
              Weber Genesis

Comment

Most likely it's not a variable speed fan, which would be more expensive. So to get around this and to act like variable speed, a fixed speed fan will "pulse" every so often.

That's the way the Auber works. It pulses about every 7 seconds. If it's really close to the set point it will only stay on for a second or two. If it's far away from the set point it may stay on for five or six seconds or stay on the whole time. If it's at the set point or above it stays off.

Dave
                CUHS Metal Shop Reverse Flow
                UDS 1.0
                Afterburner
                Weber Performer
                Blue Thermapen
                Thermoworks Smoke with Gateway
                Thermoworks Chef Alarm
                Auber Smoker Controller
                Proud Smoked-Meat Member #88
                -
                "All welcome, take what ya need, share what ya know. " -- Richtee, 12/2/2010

Comment

The GMG has two fans...one a hopper fan to keep a positive air pressure in the auger tube so that the fire doesn't back up the auger, and the other is the combustion fan that blows air into the firebox. The combustion fan is the one you hear "roaring". It turns on when the sensors say there should be more heat to keep at your target temp. It works in conjunction with the auger that is probably the intermittent sound you hear.
                  If you have started it again and are getting the "oul" code call their support number at 1-800-603-3398. They are VERY good at getting things taken care of.
                  I've called a couple of times over the past three years and they are very helpful and prompt.
                  Good luck with your grill. I've loved the one I have.
                  Kent [sigpic

Lang 36" Patio
                  GMG Daniel Boone
                  Husker Red UDS V.2014
                  22" Black Weber Kettle V.1988
                  40" MES V. 2
                  British Racing Green Thermapen w/Glow-in-the-dark silicone boot!
                  Thermapen Smoke

Comment

Well I finally had the time to call support. I left a message and they called me back within a minute. I told them about the oul error and he told me I needed a new control board. I also told him about the gap on the grill lid to which he said a 1/4 inch is acceptable but being as mine is 1/2 an inch he said a new lid is on its way too. So far I'm pretty dang impressed with their support, a little less than impressed that I need it so soon but at least for now the grill is functional enough before the parts get here.
                    On a side note, anyone thinking of getting the remote control/board, you might want to wait a bit because they are going away. They are being replaced with a wifi unit according to the tech.
                    MES SS
                    Weber Kettle Gold 22.5"
                    Weber Genesis

Comment

Glad they are getting you fixed up. You'll be rocking in no time!
                      Smokem if you got em

Yoder YS640
                      Weber EP-310 Gasser Grill
                      A-Maz-N-Pellet-Smoker (AMZNPS)
                      A-Maz-N-Tube-Smoker (AMZNTS)
                      Frogmats
                      Maverick ET 732
                      Super Fast Purple Thermopen

Deano

"May the thin blue smoke be with you"

sigpic

Comment

I should have also mentioned that I would go back to the dealer you got it from. Most of them are VERY helpful. Not all, but a very good percentage of them would probably change out parts for you right then and there.
                        Glad you got things on the way and ready to rock.
                        Kent [sigpic

Lang 36" Patio
                        GMG Daniel Boone
                        Husker Red UDS V.2014
                        22" Black Weber Kettle V.1988
                        40" MES V. 2
                        British Racing Green Thermapen w/Glow-in-the-dark silicone boot!
                        Thermapen Smoke

Comment

I just wanted to give a quick update. The company sent me a new control board and a new lid. The new lid fit great but the control board did the same thing. I called the company again and they asked of I had a close dealer. The dealer had no problem swapping it out and it's been problem free ever since.
                          MES SS
                          Weber Kettle Gold 22.5"
                          Weber Genesis

Comment

Working...
                          X