Discuss...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Discuss...

I have been grilling for a local resto for the past couple weeks, like 6 gigs so far. They want to bring a new guy in to do this, and I have trained 2 so far, and they have failed without me there for one reason or another.

Anyway... I of course toss in a wood chunk or two into the lump bed. Now...the smoke you get at first, due to several factors...fire directly under food, air flow, ect... is NOT ideal. It's not creosote, but the harsher whiter stuff.

Now... what I HAVE noticed is it's not disagreeable in flavor at all.

Theory:

Due to the limited contact time- EG. higher cooking temps, one can get away with a less than ideal smoke... not the true "thin blue" we apply for hours to our slow cooked meats. A'la Raichlin's "clouds" in the background. Well..not THAT serious...but close. Whaddia think?
    In God I trust- All others pay cash...
    Check out the Mad Hunky and products at https://madhunkymeats.com or https://www.facebook.com/MadHunkyMeats
    Lang 60D, The Beast, 18 and 22 WSM, Brinkmann Backroads trailer, Weber 22 Kettle, gutted MB burning watts

Rich,

That's exactly how I do my grilling!!! I put 4-5 fist sized chunks on top of the lump. Adds a nice hint of smokiness to it, but definitely not bad creosote tasting.

Chris
    UDS - Buckeye 1
    Charcoal Grill - Panther 1
    GOSM Wide Body
    Cabela's Masterbuilt 7-1 Electric
    2 Dutch Ovens
    Cabelas Grinder
    Cabelas Jerky Blaster
    Maverick ET-73 Thermometer
    Maverick ET-7 Thermometer

Comment

i do the same & it works fine.
      brink vertical charcoal(the carp)
      18" old smokey charcoal grill/smoker
      cast iron Hibachi
      22" Kettle w/ "Smoke-EZ" styled riser extension
      & rotisserator
      12x7 wells cargo vending trailer(mods in progress)
      stuffer,slicer & more carp than i can fit in it...
      Marshall amps & various awesome guitars,drums,P.A.,etc.recording studio.....

Blues-N-Cues Concessions & Catering
      http://blues-n-cuesbbq.com/
      my music recordings-
      http://www.reverbnation.com/rlcltd

Comment

Agreed...The short time that the thicker smoke is in contact with your food combined with the higher temps of grilling will not cause a creosote problem.

Even in a low and slow barbecue situation when new wood is added to a bed of coals or a live fire, there is a period of time before combustion takes place. During this time the smoke is less than desireable. However, this takes 10-20-maybe 30 seconds and the smoke cleans itself up. Figure this happens once, maybe twice an hour...for however many hours youre cooking...Its not a problem.
        Craig
        sigpic

Comment

Plus a lot of the time grilling is open, rather than a closed space that smoking is. Even if a lid is used the heat probably makes the smoke pass the food quickly instead of settling on it. Would think that is the biggest reason for the smoke not being offensive. Just a thought.
          S-M Misfit #16

If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy. ~ Red Green

It's a shame stupidity isn't painful.

GOSM Propane
          CharGriller Kamado Cooker "The Akorn"
          New Braunfels Bandera
          UniFlame Gas Grill
          Lil Chief

Comment

in my experience with stick burners, this is common place, and very difficult to avoid. Even if I preheat the wood before adding them to the fire.
            Ryan

I have a very strict gun control policy: if there's a gun around, I want to be in control of it.
            Clint Eastwood

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Richtee View Post
              Theory:

Due to the limited contact time- EG. higher cooking temps, one can get away with a less than ideal smoke... not the true "thin blue" we apply for hours to our slow cooked meats. A'la Raichlin's "clouds" in the background. Well..not THAT serious...but close. Whaddia think?
              Sounds good to me.

Actually, I'd have to agree. Higher temps probably limits the formation of "bad stuff", and the limited contact time due to the open aspect of grilling makes it less likely that deposits that could form would have a chance to settle on the meat.

I think your theory is right on the money.

Originally posted by nomorecoop View Post
              Rich,

OMG . . . that is an AWESOME picture!!

Dave
              CUHS Metal Shop Reverse Flow
              UDS 1.0
              Afterburner
              Weber Performer
              Blue Thermapen
              Thermoworks Smoke with Gateway
              Thermoworks Chef Alarm
              Auber Smoker Controller
              Proud Smoked-Meat Member #88
              -
              "All welcome, take what ya need, share what ya know. " -- Richtee, 12/2/2010

Comment

Good discussion Rich, I know this started with a grilling question, but now I gota ask... How do folks who use charcoal/gas/electric smokers who put chunks on to smolder, where flare ups are their worst problem, how do they get clean smoke? Im not knockin any method that works...its just that in my CG,which I use as a stickburner, I dont want smoldering, Ever. When I open my firebox I want to see fire or at least coals ready for the next piece of wood. Thats how I get my clean smoke and clean smokey flavor...No smolderin allowed!

Just wonderin...
                Craig
                sigpic

Comment

I also agree, the higher temps, shorter time period and usually open grill keep the creosote away or way down the list of problems. Biggest problem is flare-ups catching the meat on fire.
                  sigpic

Comment

I think the same holds true for longer cooks over direct coals/wood. When I do chicken pieces on the Weber Kettle I like to start out with a good hot bed of coals with a couple of wood chunck to crisp up the skin. During this time the smoke is white and thick but within about 10 minutes settles down to thin and blue and the pieces are done in about 1 hour. Always tasty!
                    sigpic

GOSM/propane
                    UDS (Cam)/lump
                    22.5 Weber Kettle/lump
                    Weber Genesis/propane
                    Camp Chef Pro 90/ propane

Comment

Thanks for the discussion Sir Rich...
                      I burn lump, what I do is leave a space on one side of the chacoal basket and put my wood chunks in there and they do smolder.... I thought with charoal you did not want your wood in flames, just smoldering. I have not had the "bad smoke" flavor from that. However, when I add new lump to the firebox as that heats up and smolders... eweeee that is awful smoke and it tastes awful... but maybe I am doing it all wrong??
                      On the grill, we will put fresh oysters on and throw chucks right on the coals and they come out amazing!
                      But now after reading through this post ...

The only one on the block with the super fastest turbo charged

Comment

Originally posted by Bbqgoddess View Post
                        Thanks for the discussion Sir Rich...
                        I burn lump, what I do is leave a space on one side of the chacoal basket and put my wood chunks in there and they do smolder.... I thought with charoal you did not want your wood in flames, just smoldering. I have not had the "bad smoke" flavor from that. However, when I add new lump to the firebox as that heats up and smolders... eweeee that is awful smoke and it tastes awful... but maybe I am doing it all wrong??
                        On the grill, we will put fresh oysters on and throw chucks right on the coals and they come out amazing!
                        But now after reading through this post ...
                        Whoa.....dont take me wrong...obviously the smolderin chunks work or so many good "Q"ers wouldnt be doin it that way. I aint sayin whats right or wrong, just kinda askin the "pros" who use that method (like you Kelly) to explain it a little to me...I personally prefer live fire and get practically no smoke at all. But thats just me...

I was just takin the dicussion from grillin (which seemed to be about over) to smokin... Im STILL trying to learn all I can and you folks are the ones to teach me.
                        Craig
                        sigpic

Comment

SF! lol, that is sooo funny, cuz I when i started reading the thread I thought finally Im going to get answers about that crappy smoke from all the professionals on here with stick burners! I consider all you way ahead of me in smoking!

I think that "staind" my newest smoker is meant to be a stick burner, I just can't afford to go by a chit load of wood, wood that you could smoke with anyhow, to give it a go. I did get to spend a weekend with Ryan and watch him run Erin on sticks, and everything came out incredible.

Initially when I switched from reg charcoal to lump, I noticed that funky smoke. I can really taste it too, so instead of using the menion method I really try to add as I go and keep a close eye on the chamber temp, that way I can leave he fire box open until the new lump has caught fire and that bad smoke is gone, I think my next smoke I am going to rig something, to block the hole between the firebox and the smoke chamber till the smoke is gone as well... Everyone around here thinks I am nuts, if I can smell that crappy smoke, I know I will taste it. Every now and then I will be like see taste that? that is that crappy smoke? can't you taste it? everyone just looks at me like I am farking nuts.
                          It's like when your grilling and you get that grease smoke... not the same yucky smoke but yucky non the less..
                          I am hoping that we can all learn from this discussion, I know I have a life time of learning to be had here...

The only one on the block with the super fastest turbo charged

Comment

Originally posted by RowdyRay View Post
                            Plus a lot of the time grilling is open, rather than a closed space that smoking is. Even if a lid is used the heat probably makes the smoke pass the food quickly instead of settling on it. Would think that is the biggest reason for the smoke not being offensive. Just a thought.
                            I think you are 100% correct on that RR. I wouldn't want to hold that smoke in a confined chamber for a couple hrs though.

I have found the best smoked foods on my stickburner come from a lesser visable smoke, but one that smells wonderfull throughout the property.On occassion, I get a minute or two of some unfavorable smoke, with some woods.If its night time or early morning, I have found alot of that to actually be steam from moisture in the air.

And yes nomorecoop, that is an awesome picture!
                            Lang 60 Mobile deluxe

Captain-N-Smoke BBQ Team(retired)

Comment

Thanks for the input guys. Another technique for adding flavor to the grill!
                              In God I trust- All others pay cash...
                              Check out the Mad Hunky and products at https://madhunkymeats.com or https://www.facebook.com/MadHunkyMeats
                              Lang 60D, The Beast, 18 and 22 WSM, Brinkmann Backroads trailer, Weber 22 Kettle, gutted MB burning watts

Comment

Working...
                              X