Deck Resurfacing?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Deck Resurfacing?

Got the deck 20' x 20' pressure washed and am looking at the new resurfacing products instead of staining. Anybody got any input on what products are good?

Going to re-stain the vertical surfaces and try using the new deck/dock stuff on the horizontal surfaces.....

Thanks!
    sigpic

Easy solution... Mad Hunky All Purpose.

Not to mention the occasional campfire

My --->
    Paul

Comment

What material is the deck made of? What product(s) have you used on your deck in the past? When was the last time it was treated? Why do you want to use a resurfacer? Which brand(s) are you considering?
      sigpic
      Fully Accessorized Primo XL Oval,
      -BBQ GURU DigiQ DX2,
      -AMNPS
      -And various other do-dads, gimmicks,
      gizmos and hornswaggles

Comment

Have heard this is good stuff...have to do two coats...behr also makes one now too
        http://www.rustoleum.com/en/product-...te-restore-10x
        Using Tapatalk

Comment

We just did ours at the lake let me see what brand we used.. turned out real nice! stay tuned...
          Brian

Certified Sausage & Pepper Head
          Yoder YS640
          Weber Genesis
          Weber 18.5" Kettle
          Weber Performer
          Misfit # 1899

sigpic

Comment

I am all ears on this one because I am considering doing mine as well.
            ~ May your glass be ever full. May the roof over your head be always strong. And may you be in heaven half an hour before the devil knows you're dead. ~ Dwain

Comment

Originally posted by barkonbutts View Post
              We just did ours at the lake let me see what brand we used.. turned out real nice! stay tuned...

Talked to my dad, he used "Pittsburgh" brand and got it from Manards. went on real nice has a sandy finish to it which is nice since it gets wet all the time and this will keep the kids from slipping. it is not uncomfortable at all when you walk on it. It is a solid and completely covers and encapsulates the wood. If you want some pics send me your cell in a PM and I will send you pics this weekend when I get over there. I would highly recommend doing it!! will make your deck last much longer. you do loose the "wood" look though. much like painted cedar on a house. If ya have more ? let me know.
              Brian

Certified Sausage & Pepper Head
              Yoder YS640
              Weber Genesis
              Weber 18.5" Kettle
              Weber Performer
              Misfit # 1899

sigpic

Comment

I'm gonna use the deck restore from HD...talked with the Cat in the paint department & he is impressed with it...he used it at his house...fills in cracks & voids really good...Natty up! tooo dang hot out gonna wait till late sept/oct when it cools a bit!
                Sunset Eagle Aviation
                https://www.facebook.com/pages/Sunse...888015?fref=ts <... We sure could use some likes!

Comment

We used a product called Restore to do ours and couldn't be happier. It is a plastic based resin that has built in grit for anti-slip. It is expected to last for 10-12 years and works great. We did ours 1 and 1/2 years ago and couldn't be happier. I hated having to reseal the wood deck every few years... now we don't have to.
                  Smokem if you got em

Yoder YS640
                  Weber EP-310 Gasser Grill
                  A-Maz-N-Pellet-Smoker (AMZNPS)
                  A-Maz-N-Tube-Smoker (AMZNTS)
                  Frogmats
                  Maverick ET 732
                  Super Fast Purple Thermopen

Deano

"May the thin blue smoke be with you"

sigpic

Comment

I've been using Behr, and it looks good for one year, and looks like chit after 2 years.

It needs it now, but I said Screw it----I'm going with the following for the decking & railing (All PVC)!!!
                    http://www.azek.com/products/deck/xlm

Bear
                    Vietnam Vet---9th Inf. Div. Mekong Delta (1969)
                    Easy to follow Step By Steps: Pulled Cured Boston Butt Ham and Buckboard Bacon--Smoked Salmon-- Bacon-On-A-Stick--Bacon (Extra Smokey)--Boneless Cured & Smoked Pork Chops & CB--Canadian Bacon & Dried Beef--Ham Twins (Double Smoked)--Double Smoked Hams X 4--Bear Logs (All Beef--Unstuffed)--Smoked Bear Loaf (All Beef-Mild Hot)--Prime Rib (My Best ever)--Another Prime Rib--Chucky (Pulled Beef)--Twin Chuckies--Pork and Beef Spares--Rare Beef (for Sammies)--Raspberry Chiffon Pie---

Mom & 4 Cub litter---Potter County, PA:

Comment

My name is gracoman because, as a professional painting contractor, I have been attached to a Graco airless paint sprayer, daily, for the past 35 years. We do high end residential applications, commercial, faux finishes, furniture grade finishes, all sorts of specialty applications, conversion varnishes, decorative cement staining, hot oil, etc etc etc. In 35 years there is not much I haven't done, including hundreds of deck restorations.

It seems almost every year there is a new miracle deck product on the market that will last "forever". The latest and greatest of these is deck resurfacer. A heavy bodied, plastic or cement-like product that will fill in pitted, and/or splintering areas of the old and failing substrate. At first glance the product idea seems like a good one. Here is where it "falls apart". Pun intended. Logic dictates, if all six sides of each and every DRY board on your deck are not coated, moisture can, and will be absorbed by the wood. (Power washing forces moisture into the wood. Best wait over several days of very dry conditions before this application.) Heat from the sun will then begin to draw that moisture out from the top deck surface. As the moisture rises to the surface attempting to escape, it will take the coating along with it. Once this product begins to fail, it will never look the same again. It will look similar to a peeling painted deck, except the peeling film will be thicker.

These products have not been on the market long enough for any useful evaluation. I remember one hitting the market several years ago that had a 50 year warranty. That warranty is no longer offered. Read any paint product warranty carefully.

We expect a lot from paints and stains considering they offer such a thin film of protection. Exterior horizontal surfaces, like decks, and handrail caps require the greatest amount of maintenance. Snow, rain, freezing and thawing ice, direct sunlight, shovel scraping etc., all take their toll. The best way to low maintenance decking is installation of a composite decking material.

This has been a rather roundabout way of saying I would stick with re staining. Forget the resurfacer.
                      sigpic
                      Fully Accessorized Primo XL Oval,
                      -BBQ GURU DigiQ DX2,
                      -AMNPS
                      -And various other do-dads, gimmicks,
                      gizmos and hornswaggles

Comment

Do what I'm gonna do..when my Wolmanized gets ugly and warped...replace it all with Trex and fugeddaboutit.
                        In God I trust- All others pay cash...
                        Check out the Mad Hunky and products at https://madhunkymeats.com or https://www.facebook.com/MadHunkyMeats
                        Lang 60D, The Beast, 18 and 22 WSM, Brinkmann Backroads trailer, Weber 22 Kettle, gutted MB burning watts

Comment

Originally posted by Richtee View Post
                          Do what I'm gonna do..when my Wolmanized gets ugly and warped...replace it all with Trex and fugeddaboutit.
                          The one regret that I have when I built my deck was to not use composite materials because it was too "expensive" at the time. I really wish that I had spent the extra on composite and I would not have had to restain the deck often. As a longer term solution to staining/sealing my cedar deck, I used restore to extend the time before I need to replace it. When it gets all wanky, I plan on replacing the cedar planks with composite and not worry about it again. I am hoping that isn't for 10 years or so.... we'll see as the restore has held up well over the last 1 and 1/2 years.
                          Smokem if you got em

Yoder YS640
                          Weber EP-310 Gasser Grill
                          A-Maz-N-Pellet-Smoker (AMZNPS)
                          A-Maz-N-Tube-Smoker (AMZNTS)
                          Frogmats
                          Maverick ET 732
                          Super Fast Purple Thermopen

Deano

"May the thin blue smoke be with you"

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Richtee View Post

Sure hope trex is better now....mine looks like absolute CHIT. Molds all the time and shows stains...faded a lot too. No miracle product for it that I know of that solves the fading and mold issue. :hate it
                            Using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                            X