Fire safety advice for various grills

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fire safety advice for various grills

OK, I am on my townhome association's board, and we are looking into establishing written guidelines for various outdoor cookers and other heat sources following a fire in one of the units that started on the deck. The fire was actually caused by someone smoking cigarettes, and not a grill, but the board wants to get some actual guidelines set. Currently there is no written rule about any outdoor heating/cooking appliance.

Ideally, we'd want to come up with something that ensures the least risk of fire while not being a huge pain for residents.

As for the buildings themselves, there are a couple of different types of designs. Most of them have a "tuck-under" attached garage in which the roof of the garage is a deck. Some have a detached garage and a regular deck. Some have a walk-out basement with a cement pad, which may be under the regular deck if they have a detached garage. Any of the units has their own driveway as well as large grass common grounds for items not allowed on decks, so any policy created would not make it so residents cannot use their grill, just limit where they can use them.

Right now, the rest of the board is leading towards a blanket ban on charcoal grills, with special requirements for gas. I am not sure this is the best course of action.

When researching this, I found some rather surprising statistics. The majority of grill fires(79%) are caused by gas grills. At first I was thinking that this was due to gas grills overwhelmingly outnumbering charcoal, but this is not the case. Approximately 70% of families owning a grill own a gas grill. About 50% own a charcoal grills (hang on baby birds, I'll feed you), and another 10% own electrics. How can that be? Most families own more than one grill, with the average coming out to 1.5. I myself have 2 or 3 depending on if you count my infrared turkey fryer as a "grill". This kind of leads me to think saying no charcoal allowed isn't the best move to make, and instead a further breakdown might be needed.

I haven't been able to find any data on what kinds of charcoal grills are involved in the charcoal fires or how they start. Are they mostly the cheap kettle grills that only have a plate for ash? Is it a cheap metal grill getting knocked over? Is it someone being incredibly stupid and using gasoline as a starting agent? I don't know. I have a hard time considering a kamado style grill unsafe for the decks considering you can buy wood tables designed to hold them. There are also heavier charcoal grills that won't tip and charcoal grills that have an enclosed container for ash.

I also have not been able to find any data on pellet grills, so I am assuming they are getting added into the charcoal category, as I sometimes see this as "Solid Fuel" as opposed to charcoal.

Then there are hibachis (both gas and charcoal), the "hybrid" grills which either cook with gas or charcoal, or use gas to light the charcoal, and smokers.

The final mention goes to non-cooking items that can act as potential ignition sources. Tiki torches, chimneas, outdoor fire pits, gas outdoor fireplaces, and outdoor heaters.

What I am thinking is:

*No open flames on the decks, this means any appliance which generates a flame regardless of fuel must have the flame contained when in use. This would limit tiki torches, outdoor fireplaces/pits, and certain grills like hibachis and the Orion grill.

*Anyone having a potential ignition source on their deck must have a means to extinguish fires readily available, such as a class B, AB, or ABC fire extinguisher or charged garden hose.

*Patio heaters (mushroom heaters) may only be used while supervised (no running the heater on an empty deck), must be equipped with a tilt shut-off, and must have a 3-foot clearance on all sides including the top.

*Grills must be in good working order, must have a lid that can be closed while it is in use, and must have an enclosed container for ash if it is charcoal. Possibly even take this a step further and word it so the cheaper grills (like the $20 "square" charcoal grill you can get at walmart) aren't allowed. They must maintain a 3 foot "safety zone" on all sides including the top.

*Charcoal grills may only be used with a fire-resistant grill pad under them.

*No home-made grills/cookers allowed on decks, as there is no way to determine the build quality short of requiring an inspection for any grill.

*Absolutely no oil turkey fryers allowed on the decks. Possible exception for oil-less "fryers".

*Smokers would fall under the same rules as grills. I've never seen a charcoal smoker where the ash is allowed to just fall on a plate that is exposed, so this isn't likely to be an issue.

*Fire pits and outdoor fire places are not allowed on decks. Possible exception for ones that are fueled by gel/gas/liquid.

Any feedback, advice, or constructive criticism is appreciated.
    Never turn down an invitation to a barbecue. It might be a big missed steak.

Most condos here don't allow any open flame cooking, gas,alcohol, charcoal or wood on patios (attached to building) or under the building(parking). they either have "community" grills shat everyone shares or a designated area away from the building. Electric grills are usually allowed on decks.
    Mark
    sigpic

"Likes smokey old pool rooms, clear mountain mornins. Little warm puppies, children and girls of the night"?
    Smoked-Meat Certified Sausage Head!

Comment

I'd hafta find another place toooo live! sorry i can't help...i'm in the country & flame on!
      Sunset Eagle Aviation
      https://www.facebook.com/pages/Sunse...888015?fref=ts <... We sure could use some likes!

Comment

A fire resistant plate/board extending 2 foot beyond the cooker's footprint. Cement tile backer board is cheap and easy. Home Depot.

Forbid oil fryers... too much "idiot quotient".

Extinguishers are a must. Rated for grease..not sure the letter...
        In God I trust- All others pay cash...
        Check out the Mad Hunky and products at https://madhunkymeats.com or https://www.facebook.com/MadHunkyMeats
        Lang 60D, The Beast, 18 and 22 WSM, Brinkmann Backroads trailer, Weber 22 Kettle, gutted MB burning watts

Comment

Originally posted by Mark R View Post
          Most condos here don't allow any open flame cooking, gas,alcohol, charcoal or wood on patios (attached to building) or under the building(parking). they either have "community" grills shat everyone shares or a designated area away from the building. Electric grills are usually allowed on decks.
          We currently don't have any set policy regarding them, and am on the board that would be setting the policy. I also talked to a couple of people I know who are on boards for their own townhome associations, and in both cases they said they only ban charcoal grills. However, given both the width & breadth of different charcoal grills out there, and the data I found regarding grill fires, I am of the opinion that a blanket ban on charcoal grills is a bit hasty.

Is saying no to the cheaper charcoal grills that allow hot ash to fall on an open plate a good plan? Requiring any grill have a fire-resistant grill pad?

That's what I'm trying to figure out.
          Never turn down an invitation to a barbecue. It might be a big missed steak.

Comment

Most of the problems down here WHERE from gas grills. Not getting cleaned, grease fires. Fire Inspector moved on it, cannot have them within the structure or under it.
            Mark
            sigpic

"Likes smokey old pool rooms, clear mountain mornins. Little warm puppies, children and girls of the night"?
            Smoked-Meat Certified Sausage Head!

Comment

Fire safety advice for various grills

I think requiring an ash catcher pan is a great idea. I would also address the chimney starter. I believe it should started in the grill on the charcoal grate then dumped and placed on a paver, grill pad, metal plate/pan, etc.

I've seen too many times where a piece of charcoal is stuck in the wire cage of the chimney. If someone isn't paying attention that piece will continue to burn and it'll end up on the deck and start a fire unless the chimney is placed on a fire proof surface.
              ~ May your glass be ever full. May the roof over your head be always strong. And may you be in heaven half an hour before the devil knows you're dead. ~ Dwain

Comment

Working...
              X