Tubing sausage

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tubing sausage

Thought this might be of interest. I needed a way to store bulk sausage, so it wouldn't freezer burn. Then I remembered I had a 1500' roll of 1 1/4" poly tubing I had bought to put fishing rods in after I finished building them, tubing was to small for what I wanted. But for storing bulk sausage or cut patties it works great. I cut 3' pieces and rinse out, then stuff like normal casings. Pic is of 18" tube of cabbage sausage I'm going to use for a fattie, and some I had cut into patties that I'm going to eat for breakfast.
    Attached Files

If thats not food grade plastic you could be leeching some nasty chemicals into your meat.
    Col. Big Guy

Comment

like BG said that could be a problem...But if it is food grade...great idea....looks like it does the job....
      Mike
      Oklahoma City
      22.5 Generic (gettin ready to be dismantle for the Drum) Kettle Grill
      Weber 22.5 Performer
      GOSM 3405gw
      Boomer Sooner Drum
      Maverick ET-732
      Various Cast Iron Skillets and Dutch Ovens
      A-MAZE-N 6X6 Smoker

Comment

Originally posted by Big Guy View Post
        If thats not food grade plastic you could be leeching some nasty chemicals into your meat.
        I would check into that. Altho the problem of leaching is minimized at low temps, (which by NO means makes it insignificant) there could still be the issue of non-sterile manufacturing processes in making the tubing.

I usually just roll bulk up in a tight 1 Lb. chub with plastic wrap. Of course a Vacpak unit is the cat's ass in this application too..iffin' ya have one.
        In God I trust- All others pay cash...
        Check out the Mad Hunky and products at https://madhunkymeats.com or https://www.facebook.com/MadHunkyMeats
        Lang 60D, The Beast, 18 and 22 WSM, Brinkmann Backroads trailer, Weber 22 Kettle, gutted MB burning watts

Comment

I agree, I don't remember if it was food grade or not. I figured if I rinse it out good it wouldn't be much of anything harmful left. My main concern was the release agents used to make tube slide off forming machine. The dull side of aluminum foil has impurity on it sometimes. I learned that mixing epoxy for the thread wraps on fishing rods. Will leave holes in finish that won't fill in.

Comment

Working...
          X