Jerky - Cure needed or not?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jerky - Cure needed or not?

Have a friend making jerky with no cure. I have suggested just for the reason of cure highly reducing the chance of botulism it should be used but they still are not adding a cure.

Am I over reacting with my concern. I know over a hundred years ago just salts were acceptable but feel this being 2014, the price of cure being relatively low, extending storage and reducing the chance of botulism to friends and family making jerky without cure isn't advisable.

Looking forward to everyone's thoughts. ..
    --- --- --- --- --- --- ---
    www.OwensBBQ.com

Just to make my answer simple...Yes.

You sell jerky seasoning...and I believe it to have a cure agent in it as well? There's your answer.
    BBQ Eng.

The "Cow Girls" were adopted from the shelter, and found on petfinder.com.
    Adopt a homeless pet - http://www.petfinder.com
    I built the Iron Maiden - Iron Maiden Smoker Build

Over 5000 unreadable posts...Photobucket can kiss my ass...they will never get a dime. I will not pay a ransom.

Comment

I know the answer. I posted this thread for my friend to read the replies...
      --- --- --- --- --- --- ---
      www.OwensBBQ.com

Comment

What's that I hear, is it a can of worms being opened Depends on what they put in it. My recipe doesn't use it. Its got vinegar, sugar, and salt in it. From what I've read they are a form of cure/preservative. That being said, since I joined here I add cure. Its cheap and simple to use plus I have it on hand. So why not.
        sigpic

Comment

I very seldom make Jerky, but I gave my Son some TQ & Morton's Recipe & instructions.

Bear
          Vietnam Vet---9th Inf. Div. Mekong Delta (1969)
          Easy to follow Step By Steps: Pulled Cured Boston Butt Ham and Buckboard Bacon--Smoked Salmon-- Bacon-On-A-Stick--Bacon (Extra Smokey)--Boneless Cured & Smoked Pork Chops & CB--Canadian Bacon & Dried Beef--Ham Twins (Double Smoked)--Double Smoked Hams X 4--Bear Logs (All Beef--Unstuffed)--Smoked Bear Loaf (All Beef-Mild Hot)--Prime Rib (My Best ever)--Another Prime Rib--Chucky (Pulled Beef)--Twin Chuckies--Pork and Beef Spares--Rare Beef (for Sammies)--Raspberry Chiffon Pie---

Mom & 4 Cub litter---Potter County, PA:

Comment

[personal opinion only]

Marty -

I've been making jerky from beef and deer for over 30 years; I've made it both with and without cure and appreciate the differences in each method where appearance and flavour are concerned. Also, I've done a lot of reading on charcuterie and have done a few projects on it as you know. My experience and my research tells me that a cure is not absolutely necessary for jerky - that the salt and the dehydration are more than adequate to kill/prevent nasties. The conditions that botulism needs to survive do not appear to be present in jerky. They can appear in smoked, cased sausage, however, which is why I will never make a smoked, salt-only cased sausage.

Having said that, there are in my mind a few things to remember abut this. First of course is that you want a jerky with a good salt content. This shouldn't be much of a problem, since we're talking about jerky. Second, you want to dry it at a temperature that is at least 140 degrees - above the danger zone. I make my jerky in a dehydrator or in the oven on the lowest setting. If I am smoking it in a "cool-smoking" environment, I only have smoke on it for a couple of hours (which is really all it needs), and then move it to the dehydrator or oven to finish at a temperature of at least 140 degrees. Finally, I believe that the end product actually needs to be jerky, not this extremely moist, barely-dried product that a lot of people call "jerky" these days. Finally, It needs to be stored under dry conditions - the best way I've found is in a jar that has holes poked in the lid. But having said that, there are plenty of salt-cured products that still retain some residual moisture; Scandinavian gravad älg and gravad lax come to mind. If you ask me, my feeling is that if FISH can be safely cured with salt only, then venison or beef is no problem. Keep in mind that these Scandinavian products are always chilled below 40 degrees.

It's safe, if done right, and it is a valuable opportunity to do research and gain experience as to the relationship between meat, salt and moisture. There are literally hundreds of examples of salt-only cured meats all over the world - from South Africa to Iceland; Turkey to Australia. Depending on the mood I am in, I like my jerky either way, with or without cure. There ARE differences in the flavour and of course in the appearance of the final product. Curing meat with salt only is a very, very old method of meat preservation that works - the fact that we as a species are here to discuss it is proof of that.

Having said all the above, the best thing to do is what you feel is best to do. If you are in doubt about the meat, or if you are making this jerky for someone else, then use a cure. It is cheap insurance, and you won't have to wonder.

[/personal opinion only]

PS - Considering the nature of the topic, it might be advisable to move this question to the "Advanced Charcuterie" forum.
            Last edited by TasunkaWitko; 08-13-2014, 12:34 PM.
            Fundamentals matter.

Helfen, Wehren, Heilen
            Die Wahrheit wird euch frei machen

Foods of the World Forums - From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, it's all good

BaitShopBoyz.com - Shoot the bull with the boyZ

Comment

Remember also... that millennia ago... until VERY recently... about 100 years...that salt was not as pure as it is today. The salt then in fact HAD nitrates in it. Today's salt DOES NOT.

IF... you are COOKING your jerky.. outside the "danger zone" I'd find it acceptable to not use cure. However, you will miss the pretty color and yes..some flavor characteristics of the cure.

If you are processing IN the Danger Zone...you better have cure.

That "Old Timey" argument is therefore invalid. The salt is different.
              In God I trust- All others pay cash...
              Check out the Mad Hunky and products at https://madhunkymeats.com or https://www.facebook.com/MadHunkyMeats
              Lang 60D, The Beast, 18 and 22 WSM, Brinkmann Backroads trailer, Weber 22 Kettle, gutted MB burning watts

Comment

suggest they read this:

http://www.smoked-meat.com/forum/sho...?p=60#poststop
                Check out the Mad Hunky and products at https://madhunkymeats.com or https://www.facebook.com/MadHunkyMeats
                Lang 60D, The Beast, 18 and 22 WSM, Brinkmann Backroads trailer, Weber 22 Kettle, gutted MB burning watts

Comment

If you are processing IN the Danger Zone...you better have cure.
                  True dat! My post above assumes that it is being processed at least 140 degrees, and I will edit my post to reflect that ~

As for the salt, my comments on it above refer only to its ability to remove moisture, rather than on any nitrate or nitrite content.
                  Last edited by TasunkaWitko; 08-13-2014, 01:08 PM.
                  Fundamentals matter.

Helfen, Wehren, Heilen

Comment

I don't want to get into the debate (been there done that) but for the record, I've smoked a ton of jerky with no cure. I think the marinade ingredients and temperatures do need to be taken into consideration though.
                    That's all...
                    ....... slowly backing out of the room now.
                    jeanie

http://cowgirlscountry.blogspot.com/

Comment

The only thing I can add is to use sea salt or "the salt of the ancients". Bbally had a post on the "the salt of the ancients" that he uses for salt cure. I believe it is a salt water aquarium salt. Have to look.
                      That said, I use sea salt and cure. I try to cold smoke for an extended period and prefer the safety factor of using cure. I also live in a mostly very warm, very humid climate.
                      Mark
                      sigpic

"Likes smokey old pool rooms, clear mountain mornins. Little warm puppies, children and girls of the night"?
                      Smoked-Meat Certified Sausage Head!

Comment

I've made it without but... Botulism is stupid. Use cure. It's cheap.
                        ~ May your glass be ever full. May the roof over your head be always strong. And may you be in heaven half an hour before the devil knows you're dead. ~ Dwain

Comment

From the CDC:

What kind of germ is Clostridium botulinum?

Clostridium botulinum is the name of a group of bacteria. They can be found in soil. These rod-shaped organisms grow best in low oxygen conditions. The bacteria form spores which allow them to survive in a dormant state until exposed to conditions that can support their growth. There are seven types of botulism toxin designated by the letters A through G; only types A, B, E and F cause illness in humans.

How common is botulism?

In the United States, an average of 145 cases are reported each year.Of these, approximately 15% are foodborne, 65% are infant botulism, and 20% are wound. Adult intestinal colonization and iatrogenic botulism also occur, but rarely. Outbreaks of foodborne botulism involving two or more persons occur most years and are usually caused by home-canned foods. Most wound botulism cases are associated with black-tar heroin injection, especially in California.

How can botulism be prevented?

Many cases of botulism are preventable. Foodborne botulism has often been from home-canned foods with low acid content, such as asparagus, green beans, beets and corn and is caused by failure to follow proper canning methods. However, seemingly unlikely or unusual sources are found every decade, with the common problem of improper handling during manufacture, at retail, or by consumers; some examples are chopped garlic in oil, canned cheese sauce, chile peppers, tomatoes, carrot juice, and baked potatoes wrapped in foil. In Alaska, foodborne botulism is caused by fermented fish and other aquatic game foods. Persons who do home canning should follow strict hygienic procedures to reduce contamination of foods, and carefully follow instructions on safe home canning including the use of pressure canners/cookers as recommended through county extension services or from the US Department of Agriculture. Oils infused with garlic or herbs should be refrigerated. Potatoes which have been baked while wrapped in aluminum foil should be kept hot until served or refrigerated. Because the botulinum toxin is destroyed by high temperatures, persons who eat home-canned foods should consider boiling the food for 10 minutes before eating it to ensure safety. Wound botulism can be prevented by promptly seeking medical care for infected wounds and by not using injectable street drugs. Most infant botulism cases cannot be prevented because the bacteria that causes this disease is in soil and dust. The bacteria can be found inside homes on floors, carpet, and countertops even after cleaning. Honey can contain the bacteria that causes infant botulism so, children less than 12 months old should not be fed honey. Honey is safe for persons 1 year of age and older.
                          Fundamentals matter.

Helfen, Wehren, Heilen

Comment

Originally posted by cowgirl View Post
                            I don't want to get into the debate (been there done that) but for the record, I've smoked a ton of jerky with no cure. I think the marinade ingredients and temperatures do need to be taken into consideration though.
                            That's all...
                            ....... slowly backing out of the room now.
                            I made it for decades without cure...No problem...
                            Recently altered my recipe to include cure...No problem....

But...If I understand...Once the meat is "cooked" the cure is no longer "there"...
                            Not sure how this applies to jerky as the meat is not cooked as much as dried...
                            Thinkin that either way the cure is no longer a factor in the finished product...
                            And since my jerky is never in the danger zone long enough to be a problem...
                            I been using it anyway...Why take chances...Right?
                            Craig
                            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by SMOKE FREAK View Post
                              Thinkin that either way the cure is no longer a factor in the finished product...
                              And since my jerky is never in the danger zone long enough to be a problem...
                              I been using it anyway...Why take chances...Right?
                              Indeed..why?

Allow me to elaborate...

Cure IS a factor in the finished product. It adds a distinctive flavor profile that straight cooked meat does not have.

And many jerky methods are NOT "cooked" but processed in the danger zone..as mine is. Soo as a blanket disclaimer... just use it. It can't hurt, and can only improve your product, and it's cheap insurance.

Comment

Working...
                              X