Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How fast can I make a decent pork shoulder?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How fast can I make a decent pork shoulder?

My wife just informed me that we have a party to attend at 3:00 tomorrow and I was "volunteered" to prepare a pork shoulder for it. I do not even have one purchased yet, so nothing is going right now. If I need to have this done (at least pre-rest time) at 2:30 tomorrow, is there any way to make that happen?

Also, I am at work right now, so I would not be able to purchase a shoulder and get it home until about 5:00 tonight or so.

Is this possible (and not have it be tough, or flavorless)

Sure you will be fine.. hot and fast is your method here.. But with that said.. I would do 2 hours at 225 and then kick up to 350* and you will be just fine!! cut the sugar in your rub a bit or you will get a burnt bark.... foil at 160* will also help a bunch!
    Brian

Certified Sausage & Pepper Head
    Yoder YS640
    Weber Genesis
    Weber 18.5" Kettle
    Weber Performer
    Misfit # 1899

sigpic

Comment

Smoker at 300f, on the fire at 5AM, should be good to go by 2. Rub it down tonight, cover in saran wrap. Don't get a huge shoulder.

Others will chime in.

Comment

What kind of pit do you have?

Comment

Originally posted by ThunderDome View Post
          What kind of pit do you have?
          I have this:

http://www.cookshack.com/store/Smoke...ue-Model-SM066

Comment

Split it! Make 3 pound roasts. Run the smoker @250ish and put them on around 6am. Foiling can help speed up through the stall. Anymore if I do butts that's what I do. It allows for more surface area for rub/bark.
            sigpic

Comment

What is the minimum amount of time it should be in rubbed in covered for before cooking it?

Comment

Does cooking at 250 or 300 really cook it that much faster? I normally cook it for about 24 hours at 225 to get it to 200 I.T... It feels like it will never be done in less than 12...

Comment

Originally posted by Lazarus52980 View Post
                  What is the minimum amount of time it should be in rubbed in covered for before cooking it?
                  I usually apply the rub when the smoker is coming to temp. Or I do it the night before if I have to get up early.
                  sigpic

Comment

Does cooking at 250 or 300 really cook it that much faster? I normally cook it for about 24 hours at 225 to get it to 200 I.T... It feels like it will never be done in less than 12...
                    A 3 pound roast at 250-270 usually takes me 6-7 hours. An 8 pound butt usually 12-14 hours. That's just me though.
                    sigpic

Comment

You don't feel it would turn out much differently if I just got it home, rubbed it up, and put it into the smoker with no "wait" time?

Comment

There's always the option of getting started right when you get home from work; slather (if you choose), apply rub, let it sit in the fridge until midnight or so, smoke it low-and-slow until it hits 190 (yes, this will be good), wrap in heavy-duty foil, wrap in towels, place in cooler, take a nap. The cooler will hold the temperature for several hours, and when you open it up to pull it, the roast will pretty much fall apart on its own.

Doing it this way has two advantages:

a) You're not rushing right up against a deadline, where you will eventually have to choose between putting up inferior meat or making everyone wait.

b) It will be done right.

I've done "hot-and-fast" barbecues of pork shoulder - they are "adequate," and not much more than that. There is no time to really develop the things that make good barbecue great. In fact, I've had better results making "faux-que" than I have had doing them hot and fast:

http://www.smoked-meat.com/forum/sho...d.php?p=504921

So if you want soemthing that will feed the folks, you can take half-measures. Or you can do it right and impress everyone.
                        Last edited by TasunkaWitko; 08-15-2014, 11:31 AM.
                        Fundamentals matter.

Helfen, Wehren, Heilen
                        Die Wahrheit wird euch frei machen

Foods of the World Forums - From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, it's all good

BaitShopBoyz.com - Shoot the bull with the boyZ

Comment

You don't feel it would turn out much differently if I just got it home, rubbed it up, and put it into the smoker with no "wait" time?
                          This will be fine - keep in mind that it's going to be on the heat for quite a few hours.

One thing you can do to help with better flavour and smoke ring is to cook at low temperature (225) for a few hours, then bump it up to 250 or 260. I personally wouldn't go any higher than that.
                          Fundamentals matter.

Helfen, Wehren, Heilen
                          Die Wahrheit wird euch frei machen

Foods of the World Forums - From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, it's all good

BaitShopBoyz.com - Shoot the bull with the boyZ

Comment

Alright, I think I have a plan now. I'll try to report back with the results. :)

Thanks all.

Comment

What Ron said. With two provisos:

1. I would lather and rub at least a half hour before hitting the smoker. More time is better, of course. Try and have the meat come to room temperature before smoking.

2. When foil wrapping, add some liquid and return the package to the smoker for at least an hour. Then put it up to rest the way Ron suggests. Bark will not be as tight as it would be via regular smoking. But the meat will be juicy and succulent.
                              But we hae meat and we can eat
                              And sae the lord be thanket

Comment

Working...
                              X