Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Our Recipe for Kosher Dill Pickles

Our Recipe for Kosher Dill Pickles

It's that time of year, and to me there are no pickles better than the ones that my parents would always make. They were the best I've ever had, and when I made them a few years ago, I was happy to see that I'd been able to make them just as good (well?).

The recipe came from an old Ball or Kerr book that was my grandmother's (circa 1974), with a few "house modifications" that really made for a great jar of pickles, and uses no sugar or pre-mixed "pickling spices."

The only real downside is that the pickles tend to be a just bit on the soft side rather than crunchy, but they were so good that I never cared. Using alum or "pickle crisp" may or may not take care of this one small "deficiency," but I don't recall that we ever tried using it, and I have no idea if using these would modify the taste. The truth is that it's not really necessary - they are only slightly soft and do not seem to get any softer with the passage of time. This might also be afftected by the processing time.

With that, I am posting our family recipe here in the event that someone wants to try a really, really good pickle.

Fischer Family Kosher-Style Dill Pickles

For 3 quarts of pickles:

Brine:

3 Cups white vinegar
    3 Cups distilled water
    6 Tablespoons canning/pickling salt

Spices per quart jar (amount varies to taste):

2 to 3 Sprigs of fresh dill, or the equivalent in dried dill weed and/or seed (2 to 3 teaspoons, perhaps?)
    2 to 3 Large garlic cloves
    1 to 2 Bay leaves
    2 to 3 Teaspoons mustard seed
    1 to 2 small, dried, hot red peppers (cayenne, japone etc.), or 1 to 2 teaspoons crushed red pepper

Wash the cucumbers. Cut them into spears or slices as you prefer (whole would probably work, too); size is of course a factor. Make a brine of the vinegar, water, and salt. Bring brine to boil; then, reduce to a simmer and cover, so that there is no evaporation (evaporation will concentrate the brine and make it too salty).

Place a generous layer of dill and the rest of the spices (per the list above or to taste) in the bottom of each sterilized quart jar. Pack the cucumbers into the jars. When the jars are half filled with cucumbers, add more dill and complete the packing of the jars.

Fill the jars to within 1/2 inch of the top with the boiling brine. Put caps on jars; snug the band down, but not too tight. Process 10 minutes in boiling water bath. Remove with tongs and place on a towel in a draft-free area to cool. Check the seal.
    Fundamentals matter.

Helfen, Wehren, Heilen
    Die Wahrheit wird euch frei machen

Foods of the World Forums - From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, it's all good

BaitShopBoyz.com - Shoot the bull with the boyZ

Sounds really good to me!
    Brian

Certified Sausage & Pepper Head
    Yoder YS640
    Weber Genesis
    Weber 18.5" Kettle
    Weber Performer
    Misfit # 1899

sigpic

Comment

We have lotsa cukes and everything else needed on hand so gonna make a batch up right now. Will let ya know how they turned out! Thanks for sharing.
      Charbroil SFB
      GOSM
      MES
      Dutch Ovens and other CI
      Little Chief, Big Chief, No Name water smoker
      Weber 22" gold, Smokey Joe, WSM 22"

Smoked-Meat Certified Sausage Head

sigpic

Comment

I am on the hunt for a pickle recipe. It is definitely that time of year.
        ~ May your glass be ever full. May the roof over your head be always strong. And may you be in heaven half an hour before the devil knows you're dead. ~ Dwain

Comment

Hope you like them, Erain! Let me know what you think!

Bob and Bama - these are worth a try!
          Fundamentals matter.

Helfen, Wehren, Heilen

Comment

Lang 36 Patio, a few Webers, 2 Eggs, plenty of gadgets and a MES 40 Gen 2.5 electric for bacon and sausage.
            My best asset however is the inspiration from the members on this forum.

sigpic
            @SmokinJim52 on Twitter

Comment

Tas, just got around to crackin a jar open... Superior tasting pickles, if anyone looking for a quick and EZ dill pickle recipe that tastes good give this one a shot. Used home grown dill, cucumbers, even the garlic was from the garden. Used some of last years dehydrated Thai chili's for some heat. Thanks for sharing the recipe!
              Charbroil SFB
              GOSM
              MES
              Dutch Ovens and other CI

sigpic

Comment

That is great news for sure, Erain - I am glad that you enjoyed them!

We didn't grow any cucumbers this year, unfortunately, but I am going to see if I can get some either from the local Hutterites or a farmers' market, if I am in town at the same time one is going on. These pickles are too good NOT to make!

I am indeed honoured that you tried them, and very glad that you liked them. This recipe is a bit of my family and it represents a special part of it - the rural, Depression-era side that knew how to be self-sufficeient and put up food for the winter. I share these types of things for many reasons, but mostly because I believe that it is important to preserve them before they are lost....
                Fundamentals matter.

Helfen, Wehren, Heilen

Comment

Just saw this! Man that looks like the way to empty oot the garden!

Drinks well with others

~ P4 ~

Comment

IT's a good one, Phil - I remember my parents using essentially the same recipe to pickle green beans, as well - I never tried them, but I am sure that they were good!
                    Fundamentals matter.

Helfen, Wehren, Heilen

Comment

Originally posted by TasunkaWitko View Post
                      This recipe is a bit of my family and it represents a special part of it - the rural, Depression-era side that knew how to be self-sufficeient and put up food for the winter. I share these types of things for many reasons, but mostly because I believe that it is important to preserve them before they are lost....
                      I think it is a very special thing to keep the things from the past alive. Especially the things that do indeed make you self sufficient, I surely do not want to be caught up with the crowd that doesnt have a prayer if they had to fend for themselves. Not that I say that I need to be that way because some impending doom is headed our way which it could be, but it is the way I want to be. Was the way I was brought up and is the way I will end my days. Is the only way I know and would rather do it myself than deal with less of the production line food as possible.

Thanks again for sharing man!
                      Charbroil SFB
                      GOSM
                      MES
                      Dutch Ovens and other CI

sigpic

Comment

I surely do not want to be caught up with the crowd that doesnt have a prayer if they had to fend for themselves. Not that I say that I need to be that way because some impending doom is headed our way which it could be, but it is the way I want to be. Was the way I was brought up and is the way I will end my days. Is the only way I know and would rather do it myself than deal with less of the production line food as possible.
                        I couldn't have said it better myself!
                        Fundamentals matter.

Helfen, Wehren, Heilen

Comment

Our recipe is almost identical...Minus the bay and the mustard seed...May need to try that...We don't use any pickle crisp or whatever...We also don't waterbath...The boiling liquid will pull the seal and the acidity of the brine will preserve the cukes...No waterbath makes for a crispier pickle...

Thanks for sharing...
                          Craig
                          sigpic

Comment

It's that time of year again - I've got 11 quarts of these pickles made so far, with more to come, I am sure.

Get them going, guys - these are the best home-canned pickles I've ever tasted!
                            Fundamentals matter.

Helfen, Wehren, Heilen

Comment

think i'll get after it & do some up!
                              Sunset Eagle Aviation
                              https://www.facebook.com/pages/Sunse...888015?fref=ts <... We sure could use some likes!

Comment

Working...
                              X