Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Devil Ears

Diablo Orejas or Devil Ears

Was not going to make it to Sams for 10 lbs boneless Chick quarters and had other things happening so I decided to try something different. One of the many questions that seems to always need an answer is “what to do with leftovers”?

My two favorite cooking methods are smoking of course and fried foods. My two favorite styles of food are Italian and Mexican next to BBQ. I was watching TV with my wife last night and had an epiphany. Combine em all! Just do it! It can’t be good for you but hey, you are not going to eat these all the time so just do it!

What I will need for the experiment:

1 cup left over PP or other Smoked meat! (Well chopped)
    2 TBS Chili Sauce-
    1 Tsp Chili powder
    1 Tsp Tabasco Chipotle Sauce
    1 small hot chili pepper seeded and diced
    1 small can Ro Tel tomatoes and green chilies ( to use as a dip or make RoTel cheese dip)
    1 cup shredded cheddar or cheese of your choice.
    Pasta Ravioli Dough rolled out and cut in 4 inch circles (Sandy making for me. LOL)

In small skillet combine meat, chili sauce, chili powder, chipotle sauce, and diced pepper. You may need a small amount of water depending on fat content but sauté down till pepper is tender. Depending on the rub you used for the pork you may need a dash of salt. Set aside to cool.

On the 4 inch pasta circles place 1/2 Tsp of the meat mixture and a dollop of cheese. Dampen the outside edge of the pasta circle with water or egg wash and fold over creating a ½ moon shape or (ear). Press and seal edges firmly. Once you have the Devil Ears all made start your deep fryer. Yep fry the ravioli golden Shooter! Just do it! As they come out of the fryer dust them with that ugly dry parmesan cheese! LOL. Now place a cocktail glass of RoTel in center of a serving plate and arrange the ears. Garnish as you wish.

Diablo Orejas from the strange mind of ShooterRick who just happens to be Dutch English in decent. LOL Pics below.

Sandy Making Pasta Dough:

Pasta disks cut and ready to stuff:

Chopped PP for the stuffing:

Stuffing combined except for cheese and simmering:

The stuffing process: Finished Devil Ears top of frame waiting for fryer:

Deep fried till golden and plated:

Well were they any good? Sandy and I ate a dozen and complained the whole time we wish we had some Pizza sauce to dip these in. LOL. The Ro Tel fell flat but the Devil Ears should be a hit with Pizza sauce or a chili cheese dip. Will do them again for sure.
    sigpic

My Facebook page
    http://www.facebook.com/topic.php?to...Q/131613189083

Great looking experiment, Rick! Thanks for the pics.
    sigpic
    Smoke Vault 24

Comment

Fine idea....man they look great!
      Sunset Eagle Aviation
      https://www.facebook.com/pages/Sunse...888015?fref=ts <... We sure could use some likes!

Comment

i like the way your thinkin
        Please ignore all spelling errors and typos my pet monkey does all of my corespondence

Comment

Sweet! I like it... Mexican Hot Pockets...

You think using a pasta sauce would be a big contrast of flavors?? Since you have such a heavy Southwestern flavor to the stuffing??
          Ken

I Should Have Been Rich Instead Of Being So Good Looking

Comment

Originally posted by Texas-Hunter View Post

You think using a pasta sauce would be a big contrast of flavors?? Since you have such a heavy Southwestern flavor to the stuffing??
            Maybe TH but have to try it since my tastebuds were asking for it. The chili cheese dip is a winner I am sure. Don't know why but the straight rotel with some of the PP and cheese in it just didnt do it for me. ?
            sigpic

My Facebook page

Comment

That looks fantastic Rick.

Comment

Originally posted by ShooterRick View Post
                Maybe TH but have to try it since my tastebuds were asking for it. The chili cheese dip is a winner I am sure. Don't know why but the straight rotel with some of the PP and cheese in it just didnt do it for me. ?

Duly noted..
                Ken

I Should Have Been Rich Instead Of Being So Good Looking

Comment

Wow. Looks great. That's the best part of making your own meals. Experimenting. I would imagine these could be made a lot of different ways. Thanks for another great idea.
                  S-M Misfit #16

If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy. ~ Red Green

It's a shame stupidity isn't painful.

GOSM Propane
                  CharGriller Kamado Cooker "The Akorn"
                  New Braunfels Bandera
                  UniFlame Gas Grill
                  Lil Chief

Comment

Great looking snacks.

But:
                    One of the many questions that seems to always need an answer is “what to do with leftovers”?
                    It's not a question that EVER gets asked round here lol
                    Only leftovers I've got is from the whole pig cook, and 45 people never showed so that's understandable lol

How do you guys have so much you don't eat ?
                    I mean you come up with some great recipes for it - that's for sure, just can't understand why you've got it in the first place lol
                    Made In England - Fine Tuned By The USA
                    Just call me 'One Grind'

Comment

Originally posted by curious aardvark View Post
                      Great looking snacks.

But:
                      It's not a question that EVER gets asked round here lol
                      Only leftovers I've got is from the whole pig cook, and 45 people never showed so that's understandable lol

How do you guys have so much you don't eat ?
                      I mean you come up with some great recipes for it - that's for sure, just can't understand why you've got it in the first place lol
                      Well when I smoke for just sandy and I or for a few friends I always cook more than I will need on purpose. That allows me to vac seal in 2 person meal size packets and freeze. Great for lunches, a quick supper after long day, or to share with friends. In my deep freeze now is sausage, bacon, ham, about 3 lbls of PP and about 2 lbs of brisket, not including 2 uncooked briskets, 4 raw butts, and about 12 lbs of chicken breasts. We just purchased whole ribeye and broke down into 10 1.25 thick steaks cause it was on sale. If I see meat on sale into the freezer she goes. LOL
                      sigpic

My Facebook page

Comment

Showed the Mrs. here and she said it looks and we need to try it.

Ya know, the people here in this forum never fail to amaze me. Somebody is always coming up with another way. By golly, if that ain't American and Yankee ingenuity I don't know what is.
                        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by RowdyRay View Post
                          Wow. Looks great. That's the best part of making your own meals. Experimenting. I would imagine these could be made a lot of different ways. Thanks for another great idea.
                          Boil em and ya got PP perogies.

Comment

Originally posted by Texas-Hunter View Post

yeap MINI HOT POCKETS..............bbq beef is my fav hot pocket.......gotta show this to momma

let us not cry because we lost someone, but let us smile because we enjoyed their company for what time was allowed us!

Comment

Originally posted by Smokin Bill View Post
                              Boil em and ya got PP perogies.
                              Ooooh, I wasn't even thinking along those lines. I was thinking about fillings. Now that you mention it, that would be a great idea. Love perogies.
                              S-M Misfit #16

If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy. ~ Red Green

It's a shame stupidity isn't painful.

GOSM Propane
                              CharGriller Kamado Cooker "The Akorn"
                              New Braunfels Bandera
                              UniFlame Gas Grill
                              Lil Chief

Comment

Working...
                              X