Cold Smoked Buckboard Breakfast Sausage

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cold Smoked Buckboard Breakfast Sausage

Along with the breakfast links I made this weekend I wanted to try something different. I used Hi Mountain Buckboard bacon cure to make some breakfast links that I could cold smoke like buckboard bacon.

One pound of ground pork butts and the buckboard cure kit. I only used 1 lb in case they did not come out good. If I like them I will make more next time.

I measured the proper amount of cure/seasoning based on the weight of the meat according to the instructions and mixed thoroughly. I then stuffed it into sheeps casings

Twisted some links

I let them sit in the fridge overnight and smoked them today. Here is a pic just after they went on the smoker

Here is a couple hours in. The small patties in the back is from the meat that was left in the hopper after stuffing. I was burning RO lump and Pecan chunks. I kept temps between 125-150 for the first hour. Then bumped temps up to about 185-200.

It took about 2 1/2 to 3 hours for everything to cross 140 internal temp. They took on a nice deep red color like the exterior of the buckboard bacon does.

I have them resting in the fridge now and will do a taste test after frying them to finish cooking later.

Thanks for checking out my sausage experiment
    KCBS/CBJ #56408

"Sticks and stones will break your bones, but words will always teach you." -Shihan

That is just nice....you been a busy man this weekend! Look's mighty fine!
    Sunset Eagle Aviation
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Sunse...888015?fref=ts <... We sure could use some likes!

Comment

Looks good!

Mmmmm . . . sausage

Dave
      CUHS Metal Shop Reverse Flow
      UDS 1.0
      Afterburner
      Weber Performer
      Blue Thermapen
      Thermoworks Smoke with Gateway
      Thermoworks Chef Alarm
      Auber Smoker Controller
      Proud Smoked-Meat Member #88
      -
      "All welcome, take what ya need, share what ya know. " -- Richtee, 12/2/2010

Comment

Those look great! Gotta give that one a try real soon.

sigpic
        Brinkman SnP-w/mods
        ECB
        GOSM
        MES for sticks and sausage
        30 yr old Weber Kettle
        Brinkman gasser

Comment

Looks great Adam, really yummy!
          I would sure like to have a taste right now!

The only one on the block with the super fastest turbo charged

Comment

Looks great! I'll be interested to hear how it tastes using the bacon cure.
            sigpic
            Smoke Vault 24

Comment

We told you it's addictive. So how is the taste? I'm curious.
              S-M Misfit #16

If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy. ~ Red Green

It's a shame stupidity isn't painful.

GOSM Propane
              CharGriller Kamado Cooker "The Akorn"
              New Braunfels Bandera
              UniFlame Gas Grill
              Lil Chief

Comment

Looks really good! Smart to do a small batch to see if you like them but can't think of a reason they won't taste as good as they look.
                sigpic

GOSM/propane
                UDS (Cam)/lump
                22.5 Weber Kettle/lump
                Weber Genesis/propane
                Camp Chef Pro 90/ propane

Comment

Originally posted by Bassman View Post
                  Looks great! I'll be interested to hear how it tastes using the bacon cure.
                  Originally posted by RowdyRay View Post
                  We told you it's addictive. So how is the taste? I'm curious.
                  I meant to fry some up last night for taste testing but I didn't get it done. I will do the taste testing tonight for sure and will report back.
                  KCBS/CBJ #56408

"Sticks and stones will break your bones, but words will always teach you." -Shihan

Comment

Huh- hey, why not? Let us know what ya think. I gotta believe they'll be tasty!
                    In God I trust- All others pay cash...
                    Check out the Mad Hunky and products at https://madhunkymeats.com or https://www.facebook.com/MadHunkyMeats
                    Lang 60D, The Beast, 18 and 22 WSM, Brinkmann Backroads trailer, Weber 22 Kettle, gutted MB burning watts

Comment

taste test results

Ok, I fried up one link and one pattie for a taste test last night-it was great. Definately something different. Basically it was a sausage texture but bacon flavor. (Best of both worlds I guess) The edges even got a little crispy like bacon. Slightly salty like bacon. My wife had a couple bites and a few minutes later says "my mouth still tastes like bacon"

I would definately make this again in a bigger batch next time.
                      KCBS/CBJ #56408

Comment

Excellent, excellent idea; I've got to try that. I've done pork loin as though it's Canadian bacon which is real good but never thought of ground sausage.

My hunch is you ought to cut back pretty significantly on the cure/spice mix per pound since this is "a mixed direct contact with all the meat" cure. Remember when you're curing a butt, you rub it and over the 10 days in penetrates the meat; there's no penetration the way you're doing it and none of it will be washed off as is so with the butts.

That might be worth a phone call to Hi Mountain to see what their people feel would be a good starting point or maybe cut the cure in half and leave the spice mix more like full strength or cut by 25%; I don't know.

Get the idea?

Comment

I get what you are saying and thought quite a bit about that before doing this. One problem with this kit is the cure & seasonings are already blended together. You can't cut one without cutting the other. I also thought about cutting the butt up into chunks and curing the chunks for a few days before grinding but decided against it. After contemplating a couple options I decided this was the best place to start for this experiment. I may certainly change it next time.
                          Last edited by wutang; 08-04-2009, 10:40 AM. Reason: sp
                          KCBS/CBJ #56408

Comment

Originally posted by wutang View Post
                            I get what you are saying and thought quite a bit about that before doing this. One problem with this kit is the cure & seasonings are already blended together. You can't cut one without cutting the other. I also thought about cutting the butt up into chunks and curing the chunks for a few days before grinding but decided against it. After contemplating a couple options I decided this was the best place to start for this experiment. I may certainly change it next time.
                            Oh yea, they are all mixed together; as much as I've made I should have remembered that. Well then I would cut the proportion by 25% anyway if not call the folks at HM. I've got to give that a try though; that is probably the best bacon flavor I've ever tasted.

Comment

I hope you do try it, maybe with the adjustments you mentioned. I will be very interested to see what you think of it.
                              KCBS/CBJ #56408

Comment

Working...
                              X