Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Feldons Pit Calculator issue!

Hey guyz and galz,

I will be cutting my tank in the next day or two, and while double checking my calculations, some of which found on Feldons Pit Calculator, found the Reverse flow opening size is the same no matter what dimensions you put in (according to the pit calculator). Now I'm questioning my pit layout. The more pressing question I have, is what is a good ratio to follow? My tank is 30" X 70", my fire box is 24" square. I am currently planning to put my reverse flow baffle 6" up from the bottom of the tank, putting me just over 150 sq in opening. Think this is enough for that size tank? I would appreciate any feedback.

Thank you!
    Attached Files

Jeez I'm fried...scratch that calculation, not even close...that would leave me with like a little over 90 sq in? My brain hurts...

Comment

I dont know anything about smoke channel calculations. But i would make a couple cheap ones and lay them in there to see which one i liked best with the grate height and airflow. After i found one i liked i would make it out of good steel use that one
      sigpicSmoke meat, not crack
      Sullys bangin' ass jerkey-
      Pepperoni-Pernil-Spicy snack stix-Ryans crab cakes-Dip for smoked fish-Lox-Beer brittle-Pizza crust-Spinach and artichoke dip-Garlic link-Pizza Links-

Comment

I plugged in the numbers of your tank and firebox and came up with a firebox to chamber opening of 16.78 inches. Keep in mind that pipe that's bigger than 12" is based on outside diameter, not the inside.
        sigpic
        New Braunfels Bandera
        New Braunfels Hondo
        4-22.5" Weber Kettles
        1-26" Weber Kettle
        24"X72" Reverse Flow-Made in the U.S.A. by me
        Navy Corpsman-'69-'73 Semper Fi

https://www.facebook.com/highrollersbbq/

Comment

Originally posted by Mikey View Post
          I plugged in the numbers of your tank and firebox and came up with a firebox to chamber opening of 16.78 inches. Keep in mind that pipe that's bigger than 12" is based on outside diameter, not the inside.
          So, is that 16.78 inches supposed to be up from the bottom of the tank, or the horizontal line?

Comment

That 16.78 is only an inch measurement. The next block of that calculator says it requires 110.59 in sq. For the FB to CC opening. Huge difference between 16 and 110. This is why my brain hurts! Thanx for workin it out with me, i appreciate another set of eyes.

Comment

Originally posted by massive meat pipe View Post
              That 16.78 is only an inch measurement. The next block of that calculator says it requires 110.59 in sq. For the FB to CC opening. Huge difference between 16 and 110. This is why my brain hurts! Thanx for workin it out with me, i appreciate another set of eyes.
              Heh... inches and square inches are different things ;{) 16.78 long leaves you with a 6.56" high opening. Well..if it were rectangular. I'm not gonna break out the chord/circular formulas. I assume the calc has that built in?
              In God I trust- All others pay cash...
              Check out the Mad Hunky and products at https://madhunkymeats.com or https://www.facebook.com/MadHunkyMeats
              Lang 60D, The Beast, 18 and 22 WSM, Brinkmann Backroads trailer, Weber 22 Kettle, gutted MB burning watts

Comment

Originally posted by Mikey
                Post #6 "16.78 sq. inches is the total area of the opening if you're planning on using the half moon. It's best to have it up 1" from BDC as that will be a natural grease dam...just in case"
                Really? I din't run the numbers, but that seems awful small?
                Check out the Mad Hunky and products at https://madhunkymeats.com or https://www.facebook.com/MadHunkyMeats
                Lang 60D, The Beast, 18 and 22 WSM, Brinkmann Backroads trailer, Weber 22 Kettle, gutted MB burning watts

Comment

Originally posted by Richtee View Post
                  Really? I din't run the numbers, but that seems awful small?
                  That would be a 10" x 5" half moon.....if my math is correct. That should work...I think....

Naaa, I just looked. That's what mine is, your'e lookin a a lot bigger cooker!

On third thought, my cooker is 26" X 50" so not that much different.
                  Last edited by Mark R; 09-18-2014, 03:21 PM.
                  Mark
                  sigpic

"Likes smokey old pool rooms, clear mountain mornins. Little warm puppies, children and girls of the night"?
                  Smoked-Meat Certified Sausage Head!

Comment

By my calcs, and puttin this on visio and counting a square in at a time, not kidding, the actual is 6.85" up, putting the cord at just about 24". I will cut into the rounded end of the tank, at 7" exactly, which will leave me with 1/4" gaps on each side, I can easily fill with the mig. Some of the engineers where I work actually found a calculation for this, and they came up with 6.85" inches high on a 30" tank. For 110 sq in needed, 7" puts me at about 122 sq in. Since I will split the reverse pan and put it on a 1" slope, should be just about right on..I'm hoping Thank you all for the input! I picked up the plasma cutter just a little bit ago, so I'm goin in Saturdy morning! Wish me luck!

Comment

By my calcs, and puttin this on visio and counting a square in at a time, not kidding, the actual is 6.85" up, putting the cord at just about 24". I will cut into the rounded end of the tank, at 7" exactly, which will leave me with 1/4" gaps on each side, I can easily fill with the mig. Some of the engineers where I work actually found a calculation for this, and they came up with 6.85" inches high on a 30" tank. For 110 sq in needed, 7" puts me at about 122 sq in. Since I will split the reverse pan and put it on a 1" slope, should be just about right on..I'm hoping Thank you all for the input! I picked up the plasma cutter just a little bit ago, so I'm goin in Saturdy morning! Wish me luck!
                      That sounds right to me. .....Danger zone
                      Mark
                      sigpic

"Likes smokey old pool rooms, clear mountain mornins. Little warm puppies, children and girls of the night"?
                      Smoked-Meat Certified Sausage Head!

Comment

I went for it, everything worked out perfectly. Check out the MMP2 thread in stick burners. Thank you all for help!

Comment

I went for it, everything worked out perfectly. Check out the MMP2 thread in stick burners. Thank you all for help!
                          By golly... whaddia know Good to hear!

Comment

Working...
                          X