What do you use

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What do you use

I thought this would be a fun topic to get started. What kind of wood do you use and for what? This is how I do it.

poultry=Maple or cherry
    pork=oak,apple,hickory,and pecan
    beef=oak,apple,hickory,pecan,and mesquite
    others (aka) mac n cheese=maple or cherry

Now i mostly use oak because of availability but have used all of the above. I've even started mixing wood. What do you use
    sigpic
    Weber 22.5 kettle
    Smokin in the Smokies
    Here's to swimmin with bowlegged women.
    Jerry

Hickory, cherry and apple... well any on just about anything!! I do like pork and cherry.. but also like the other two..... funny part is I have tons of maple in the yard..lol..
    Brian

Certified Sausage & Pepper Head
    Yoder YS640
    Weber Genesis
    Weber 18.5" Kettle
    Weber Performer
    Misfit # 1899

sigpic

Comment

Here's a neat list...and I moved the post to the Woods forum.

http://www.smoked-meat.com/forum/sho...p?p=1#poststop
      In God I trust- All others pay cash...
      Check out the Mad Hunky and products at https://madhunkymeats.com or https://www.facebook.com/MadHunkyMeats
      Lang 60D, The Beast, 18 and 22 WSM, Brinkmann Backroads trailer, Weber 22 Kettle, gutted MB burning watts

Comment

Most of the time I use pecan but, sometimes for fish, chicken, seafood, and sometimes pork tenderloin, I will use peach, apple, orange, lemon, or grapefruit wood.
        Jim

Comment

Pear, but I only have a couple smokes left. I use it on everything. After that's used up I got some apple. Then I'll go to maple, if I like it. I've never used it. An old high school friend cut it down and split it. I got 2+ cords for $150. Sure hope I like it! Got some apricot to try.
          sigpic

Comment

I use a 3 wood combo on everything...oak, hickory and apple.
            sigpic
            New Braunfels Bandera
            New Braunfels Hondo
            4-22.5" Weber Kettles
            1-26" Weber Kettle
            24"X72" Reverse Flow-Made in the U.S.A. by me
            Navy Corpsman-'69-'73 Semper Fi

https://www.facebook.com/highrollersbbq/

Comment

i prefer pecan and apple on pretty much everything............
              sigpic
              it's all good my friend..........

Comment

Pecan is my go to wood for just about everything.. Its easy when you have nine trees to get sheds and trimmings from..

But for me Poultry has to be done with Hickory or Red Oak if I can get some from my hunting property.. Poultry needs to have a sweeter wood IMO...

Then when I smoke my peppers to make sauce or dried pepper powder I roll with Mesquite.. You really need a strong wood to carry over to the next level when you process peppers.. But that's me..
                Ken

I Should Have Been Rich Instead Of Being So Good Looking

Comment

Lots of cherry(easy to get here in the Pacific NW), I also like hickory, grape vine, and mesquite for beef.

Comment

Originally posted by Richtee View Post

I'm curious about cottonwood, anybody ever try it? Got tons of that crap around.
                    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Ryan View Post
                      I'm curious about cottonwood, anybody ever try it? Got tons of that crap around.
                      The inside of cotton wood is so lite is like bosa wood I wouldn't think it would be good for anything. But idk.
                      sigpic
                      Weber 22.5 kettle
                      Smokin in the Smokies
                      Jerry

Comment

Originally posted by Richtee View Post

This is the link that led me to smoked meat.com. A friend told me that black walnut smoke would kill you if you smoked with it and I looked it up and here we are. This is such a cool site.
                        sigpic
                        Weber 22.5 kettle
                        Smokin in the Smokies
                        Jerry

Comment

Originally posted by fishermanlawncare View Post
                          The inside of cotton wood is so lite is like bosa wood I wouldn't think it would be good for anything. But idk.
                          Yeah, we had three trees on the place growing up. They were next to the lane. Just the slightest storm and we were out picking up branches. Thank god dad finally had them cut down.
                          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Texas-Hunter View Post
                            Pecan is my go to wood for just about everything.. Its easy when you have nine trees to get sheds and trimmings from..

But for me Poultry has to be done with Hickory or Red Oak if I can get some from my hunting property.. Poultry needs to have a sweeter wood IMO...

Then when I smoke my peppers to make sauce or dried pepper powder I roll with Mesquite.. You really need a strong wood to carry over to the next level when you process peppers.. But that's me..
                            Do you ever use green mequite when doing peppers? There is a resturant in E.Texas called green mesquite and thats all they use.
                            sigpic
                            Weber 22.5 kettle
                            Smokin in the Smokies
                            Jerry

Comment

Apple, Cherry, Oak mostly. Really like JD Oak barrell pellets for cheese and jerky.
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X