YS640 heat diffuser

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• YS640 heat diffuser

In anticipation of my 640's arrival I have a foil question for the heat diffuser. First, what has been the best technique found, wrap it or just to the edge? Second, has anyone noticed a difference of which side faces up shiny or dull?

Thanks in advance,
    YMH
    YMH

Yoder YS640 Comp
    MES Plate Warmer
    AMZNTS 12"
    AMZNPS
    Maverick ET-732

I wrap mine tight... or what I think is tight.. but still get a bit o gunk under it somehow.. easy clean up... shinny or flat does not matter... Just make it tight so it does not inhibit air flow. Clean grill grates well.. mine where very very dirty...
    Brian

Certified Sausage & Pepper Head
    Yoder YS640
    Weber Genesis
    Weber 18.5" Kettle
    Weber Performer
    Misfit # 1899

sigpic

Comment

I use the heavy duty Reynolds wrap that's 18" wide. I wrap across the plate at the bottom end nearest the exhaust overlapping the end and sides by 3" with the 1st wrap. The second will overlap the 1st by 3-4" running across as the 1st. Then a 3rd overlapping the 2nd which should fold over 3" on the sides and end closest to the fire pot. I then run a single length that runs from fire pot end to the exhaust end overlapping the 3 previous runs. This way when the foil gets dirty I simply replace the last or 4th layer leaving rage other 3 in place. Makes it easier at cleanup time.
      Smoke it.. and they will come!

Rob
      Recipes & Smokes in HD Video
      SmokingPit.com

Yoder YS640
      Yoder Wichita
      Arizona BBQ Outfitters Scottsdale
      Camp Chef FTG600 Flat Top Griddle
      Blackstone 22" Flat Top Griddle

Comment

Thanks guys, I called Yoder it won't be done until the 26th no Thanksgiving. At least I'll have it for Christmas.
        YMH

Yoder YS640 Comp
        MES Plate Warmer
        AMZNTS 12"
        AMZNPS
        Maverick ET-732

Comment

Originally posted by Yoder Meathead View Post
          Thanks guys, I called Yoder it won't be done until the 26th no Thanksgiving. At least I'll have it for Christmas.
          Good things come to those who wait!!!!
          Brian

Yoder YS640
          Weber Genesis
          Weber 18.5" Kettle
          Weber Performer
          Misfit # 1899

sigpic

Comment

Guess I'm kinda confused here... if it needs a plate...don't they come with one?
            In God I trust- All others pay cash...
            Check out the Mad Hunky and products at https://madhunkymeats.com or https://www.facebook.com/MadHunkyMeats
            Lang 60D, The Beast, 18 and 22 WSM, Brinkmann Backroads trailer, Weber 22 Kettle, gutted MB burning watts

Comment

Originally posted by Richtee View Post
              Guess I'm kinda confused here... if it needs a plate...don't they come with one?
              Yes it comes with one.. he does not have the smoker yet....when he does get the smoker he was wondering about wrapping the heat plate...
              Brian

Yoder YS640
              Weber Genesis
              Weber 18.5" Kettle
              Weber Performer
              Misfit # 1899

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by barkonbutts View Post
                Yes it comes with one.. he does not have the smoker yet....when he does get the smoker he was wondering about wrapping the heat plate...
                Oh. DOH! So sorry.... "nevermind!"
                In God I trust- All others pay cash...
                Check out the Mad Hunky and products at https://madhunkymeats.com or https://www.facebook.com/MadHunkyMeats
                Lang 60D, The Beast, 18 and 22 WSM, Brinkmann Backroads trailer, Weber 22 Kettle, gutted MB burning watts

Comment

I foiled the deflector plate when I first got my YS640 but after running a temperature test that Yoder had suggested, I no longer foil the deflector. My temperatures are now more consistent. I believe that the foil over the ends was causing a disruption in air flow, especially on the stack end.

Joe
                  Yoder YS640
                  Weber Genesis Copper E310
                  VacMaster Pro 260
                  2 Mavericks ET732
                  Blue Thermapen
                  6" & 12" AMNTS
                  Q-MATS
                  "Yoder YS Pellet Grills (Fan Page)" on Facebook

Comment

Originally posted by jtrainor56 View Post
                    I foiled the deflector plate when I first got my YS640 but after running a temperature test that Yoder had suggested, I no longer foil the deflector. My temperatures are now more consistent. I believe that the foil over the ends was causing a disruption in air flow, especially on the stack end.

Joe

Don't they (Yoder) even suggest to foil it? That was partially the reason I asked the question. I have notice when I wrap a grill grate, all the way around, at a campsite with reflective side out I don't get the heat that I should. I have seen that from several Yoder owners about the disruption of air flow. I wonder if Rob could shed some light on this as well??
                    YMH

Yoder YS640 Comp
                    MES Plate Warmer
                    AMZNTS 12"
                    AMZNPS
                    Maverick ET-732

Comment

Originally posted by barkonbutts View Post
                      I wrap mine tight... or what I think is tight.. but still get a bit o gunk under it somehow.. easy clean up... shinny or flat does not matter... Just make it tight so it does not inhibit air flow. Clean grill grates well.. mine where very very dirty...
                      Originally posted by Yoder Meathead View Post
                      Don't they (Yoder) even suggest to foil it? That was partially the reason I asked the question. I have notice when I wrap a grill grate, all the way around, at a campsite with reflective side out I don't get the heat that I should. I have seen that from several Yoder owners about the disruption of air flow. I wonder if Rob could shed some light on this as well??
                      As I said earlier you do not want to interrupt the airflow or you will get inconsistent temps... But if you foil it tight you will be okay. I have not noticed that much of a difference from L to Right....I do know my hottest point is near the stack though.. so if I want crisp up something (like bacon... that is where I put it... )

You essentially have a convection oven.. that is in turn a smoker... if you change the wind patterns you will get a few temp differences here and there... then the question becomes... what do I want with clean up... is it worth it to have a slight temp variance?? For me the answer is yes... For you well that is for you to answer...
                      Last edited by barkonbutts; 11-17-2014, 01:36 PM.
                      Brian

Yoder YS640
                      Weber Genesis
                      Weber 18.5" Kettle
                      Weber Performer
                      Misfit # 1899

sigpic

Comment

Thanks Brian, sorry you had to re quote yourself! I knew I saw that somewhere. I agree, I would rather have an easy clean up!
                        YMH

Yoder YS640 Comp
                        MES Plate Warmer
                        AMZNTS 12"
                        AMZNPS
                        Maverick ET-732

Comment

I think it's just a matter of preference as to foil or not. It's not a big job to clean out after each smoke. I bought a bunch of cheap scrapers and wire brushes from Lowe's. Takes me no more than 10 minutes to brush, scrape and clean out the fire grate. After 3-4 smokes I take out the shop vac and cleanup all of the ash that I had previously dumped.
                          Joe
                          Yoder YS640
                          Weber Genesis Copper E310
                          VacMaster Pro 260
                          2 Mavericks ET732
                          Blue Thermapen
                          6" & 12" AMNTS
                          Q-MATS
                          "Yoder YS Pellet Grills (Fan Page)" on Facebook

Comment

If it weren't for the gunk build-up under the foil, I'd probably foil. When I look at the TCF (Total Cost of Foiling), I find that foiling is more work in total, since I still need to clean the heat diffuser.
                            Yoder YS640, Weber Performer Platinum, Weber OTG, Weber Q220, Traeger BBQ125 Executive
                            ThunderDome Vortex, Smokenator 1000, GrillGrates, A-Maze-N Tube Smoker (6" & 12")
                            Weed Dragon Torch with Squeeze Valve (VT2-23SVC), Looftlighter, BernzOmatic High Intensity Torch Head (TS8000)
                            Tappecue, Maverick ET-732 (x2), Maverick PT-100

SousVide Supreme, VacMaster VP112 (chamber), VacMaster Pro305 (suction)

Comment

Working...
                            X