Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Fish Rub? for an "oily" white meat fish (herring) Got one?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fish Rub? for an "oily" white meat fish (herring) Got one?

Anyone have a rub for an oily white meat fish like a fresh Herring?

A Local store has a special on the fresh fisshies here and I'm gettin to thinkin as I LOVE Herring and a nice rub for it would be good.

Now I must admit I don't have the cold smoking ability available but I'm thinkin of grillin it.

I don't think that an Old Bay type would be right but maybe I'm wrong.

Any thoughts?

Thanks
    V

I am trying to find the recipe I used 25 years ago when my dad had a boat up in Lake Huron. We used to catch alot of salmon and lake trout. He got this recipe from his dentist who he bought the boat from. It was a bit different and I would change it using it now days. It called for brining twice and then prebake in the house oven, which would bring out some of the protien and form a pellicle then off to the med hot smoker just till it was firm and flakey and a good rest in the fridge overnight. It was real tastey as long as you rinsed it real good. I'll find it. I hope.

Originally posted by supervman View Post
    Anyone have a rub for an oily white meat fish like a fresh Herring?

A Local store has a special on the fresh fisshies here and I'm gettin to thinkin as I LOVE Herring and a nice rub for it would be good.

Now I must admit I don't have the cold smoking ability available but I'm thinkin of grillin it.

I don't think that an Old Bay type would be right but maybe I'm wrong.

Any thoughts?

Thanks
    V

Comment

Give this a shot..

Coat your fish with a light coating of OO.. place on hot grill.. While your fish is cooking make this..

4 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
      2 tbsp wholegrain mustard
      large bunch basil , roughly torn
      1 tsp clear honey
      1 lemon , grated zest and juice

whisk the mustard, basil, honey, lemon zest and juice and remaining oil together in a small bowl, and season. Once the fish is cooked, spoon the dressing over and serve.
      Ken

I Should Have Been Rich Instead Of Being So Good Looking

Comment

McCormick (Grill Mates) makes a Baja Citrus Marinade that is really good sprinkled on grilled fish.

Never ate it fresh. Do you like the pickled herring? Dad's got a recipe he uses for the small northerns. Tastes like store bought.
        S-M Misfit #16

If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy. ~ Red Green

It's a shame stupidity isn't painful.

GOSM Propane
        CharGriller Kamado Cooker "The Akorn"
        New Braunfels Bandera
        UniFlame Gas Grill
        Lil Chief

Comment

RAY -
          Recipe please.

A bazillion years ago, before I was married, my roomie from Alexandria and I used to hunt and fish ALL the time. He had a terriffic pickled northern recipe. The bones just dissolved. Didn't even have to try to clean out those "Y" bones, which I'm not good at. Other fish no prob, but those dang snakes. :)

I ALWAYS and I mean ALWAYS have a jar of pickled herring in the fridge. Kind of weird, but I begged my folks for it since - and I'm not kidding - the age of 3.

All my Swede relatives tell the story and laugh. They even had to go buy extra herring if I was coming over for a family function!

Comment

Love to see it and try it.
            Hopefully for both of us and board members you can find it.
            (fingers crossed)

Comment

Oh yeah, I can get it. He's up north for the weekend and cell is spotty. I'll get it when he gets home.

Yep the bones aren't even noticable. He's fed it to many and they swear it's herring. He's got a gallon jar in the fridge all the time. He just pickled 3 more from last weekend. Lol.
              Last edited by RowdyRay; 08-08-2009, 04:07 PM.
              S-M Misfit #16

If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy. ~ Red Green

GOSM Propane
              New Braunfels Bandera
              UniFlame Gas Grill
              Lil Chief

Comment

I smoked a bunch of whiting last night. Just coated with a little evoo, fine ground equal amounts of black peppercorns, salt & paprika and rubbed in.
                Hot smoked for about hour and a half.
                Very nice, has a nice peppery bite to it.
                Texture very similiar to the hot smoked mackerel I eat.

For something oily like mackerel I'd use lemon pepper instead of cbp.

And I'm with you I can eat a LOT of pickled herring :-)
                Made In England - Fine Tuned By The USA
                Just call me 'One Grind'

Comment

Here you go Vman.

http://www.smoked-meat.com/forum/sho...?threadid=3662
                  S-M Misfit #16

GOSM Propane
                  New Braunfels Bandera
                  UniFlame Gas Grill
                  Lil Chief

Comment

Working...
                  X