Jerky Again

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jerky Again

My sons jerky habit is gonna put me in the poor house. His favorite jerky is $7 for a 3 oz package. Everytime we drive by the store we drop $50+ on jerky. That happens way too often. Today instead of getting the jerky, decided to get only the marinade and test that. Also came with a recipe sheet of some of their best jerkys. Doing 2 batches, 1 teriyaki and one tequila lime. Their tequila lime was excellent

Picked up 1 bottom round and 1 sirloin tip roast at sams, not much selection today, place was crowded.

Wife was tired of raw meat flying all over the place

5 oz teriyaki 1 1/2 cups marinade

2 cups marinade, 1/8th cup tequila, 1/2 teaspoon lime juice

Yoder YS480
    Maverick 732
    Tappecue
    Thermapen

This stuff a cure? Or are you cooking it?
    In God I trust- All others pay cash...
    Check out the Mad Hunky and products at https://madhunkymeats.com or https://www.facebook.com/MadHunkyMeats
    Lang 60D, The Beast, 18 and 22 WSM, Brinkmann Backroads trailer, Weber 22 Kettle, gutted MB burning watts

Comment

Yea, it has to have cure of some sort to be safe!
      Mark
      sigpic

"Likes smokey old pool rooms, clear mountain mornins. Little warm puppies, children and girls of the night"?
      Smoked-Meat Certified Sausage Head!

Comment

Rich, is it considered cooking if I smoke it at 150 with the door cracked open? cuz that's my plan

The kid told me the cure is mixed in, but he was new I think. Normally the owner is there. The pamphlet says no cure needed. All I know is its the best jerky around here and they charge a premium for it.

Yoder YS480
        Maverick 732
        Tappecue
        Thermapen

Comment

Originally posted by bigmikey View Post
          Rich, is it considered cooking if I smoke it at 150 with the door cracked open? cuz that's my plan
          Hmm... well let me explain. You are in a race to remove enough moisture from the meat to inactivate the nasties or hit 160 before 4 hours.

Think on that. I'd be sure you have cure with that plan. But - YMMV.

Maybe the tequila helps...
          Check out the Mad Hunky and products at https://madhunkymeats.com or https://www.facebook.com/MadHunkyMeats
          Lang 60D, The Beast, 18 and 22 WSM, Brinkmann Backroads trailer, Weber 22 Kettle, gutted MB burning watts

Comment

Well he told me the cure was in it and it could be smoked or dehydrated. What temp does a dehydrator get to? What temp should I do it at Rich? I'm no expert, just my 3rd time on jerky.
            Yoder YS480
            Maverick 732
            Tappecue
            Thermapen

Comment

I'm with Rich on this one. Use #1 cure........
              Don..

2 of me best buds ever! R.I.P guys

Comment

Please Post the ingredients listed on the bottle.

Comment

Partially freeze your meet before slicing. Will help reduce the meat slinging.
                  Don..

2 of me best buds ever! R.I.P guys

Comment

just for future reference,,,
                    I myself have had great luck putting the meat in the freezer for a while till its fairly stiff...
                    it cuts flatter and dont wanna squish out,,, move or roll...
                    I started out doin it to hand slice jerky,,, got MUCH better results...
                    but its really cleaner and nicer cutting on our slicer too...
                    its like giving it some manners...

ahhhh,,, here we are with the cure thing again...
                    ~All that is gold does not glitter ~ Not all those that wander are lost~
                    ~20" Yoder "Swiss Army Knife" Stick Burner~

Comment

I just asked the wife the other day if she wanted jerky and she said no. The next day she bought a bag of it. WTF! If there's enough sugar and vinegar in it, it should be safe without cure. Right CA! That's the way mine is but recently started adding cure 1 to it. I wouldn't think they could market if it wasn't safe. If you need cure 1 I got a couple bags extra.
                      sigpic

Comment

Here is the directions directly off the website

http://www.smokinggunjerky.com/pages...wn--Jerky.html

Ingredients

Yoder YS480
                        Maverick 732
                        Tappecue
                        Thermapen

Comment

There is not cure in that mix. I have never seen it mixed together in commercial products.

sodium nitrite is what you are looking for. Also called cure one, pink salt, Prague one

I am not sure what your process is, but in world of food safety if you are in fact making jerky, you need some sort or cure.

I will agree (loosely) with others that there are advanced methods to accomplish curing but it is way above my pay scale of knowledge.

And for the sake of others safety add some cure.

Comment

Originally posted by nickelmore View Post
                            There is not cure in that mix. I have never seen it mixed together in commercial products.

sodium nitrite is what you are looking for. Also called cure one, pink salt, Prague one
                            Yeah..by law the cure cannot be mixed in with the seasoning ingredients.

Were I you, especially with this low temp processing... I'd be adding a teaspoon of #1 for a 5 pound batch.

I'm surprised this is not mentioned. Especially the ground stuff....

Comment

Originally posted by bigmikey View Post
                              Here is the directions directly off the website

http://www.smokinggunjerky.com/pages...wn--Jerky.html

Ingredients

Like I said, I have a hard time believing that they could sell this without cure if it wasn't safe. With all the rules and regs these days, they must know something that we don't. Only speculation but this is what I'm thinking, the salt, lime juice, and lemon juice may drop the pH low enough that'll prevent bacteria growth. Add to that the dehydrating effect the water activity level may be safe enough. It would be interesting to take the pH test after marinating. In the future I'd add cure to it. Can never be to safe! But you'll be fine this time.
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X