new to smoking

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• new to smoking

When I was growing up, my parents made homemade pork sausage that they smoked in applewood! It was THE best sausage I have ever had. I want to start making myself but do not have a big smoker like they used but only a small electric one that we have used for smoked fish, etc. Do the links have to be hung or can I put on the racks for smoking? Also, do I have to soak the applewood chips before smoking?

Twin,

Welcome to the place. You'll find that there are plenty of people here willing to help ya out.
    don't do sausage so for this one, all I can do is give ya a big welcome to the family. someone will be here very soon to help ya on this.

:D:D

Comment

Welcome aboard. Glad to have you here. The links can be laid on the racks (as long as you don't mind grill marks on the sausage). Soaking the wood might be subject to debate. I don't soak the wood personally. I guess it seems like it just steams before it starts smoking anyway.

Again welcome.
      KCBS/CBJ #56408

"Sticks and stones will break your bones, but words will always teach you." -Shihan

Comment

welcome to the site twingal, good to have ya. There are some real good sausage smokers here. Tell us a little about you and your smoking set up, and we'll try to give you hand
        :)
        Lang 60 Mobile deluxe

Captain-N-Smoke BBQ Team(retired)

Comment

welcome twin... the links do not HAVE to be hung, but they will get marks on them from the grates... check out the sausage threads and you'll be fine... and no, you do not HAVE to soak the chips... are you wanting to cold smoke or hot smoke? just relax and look around... ask any questions you want and there are plenty of people with plenty of knowledge here to help...

sigpic

Comment

Welcome aboard, glad ta have ya! You sure enough can lay the links on the rack, they will aquire some grill marks which won't hurt em none.

To soak er not ta soak, been ongoin debate ferever. I don't soak chips er chunks when I use em, ya just gotta dry em out fer they will smoke. Also ya can get what they call creosote smoke ifin evertyin ain't quite right, that be bellowin white smoke, ya wan't a thin blue smoke.

Good luck!
            sigpic

Comment

Welcome twingal. Glad to have you here at S-M. hope you enjoy the site.

As wutang has stated, yes you can lay the links down. Also whether you soak your chips or not is up to you, some do some do not. But be sure the the wood covered with something like foil with holes poked in it. That way the wood will not ignite and just smolder.. Like Trav said thin blue is what your looking for.
              Ken

I Should Have Been Rich Instead Of Being So Good Looking

Comment

welcome to s-m forum, good to have ya!!!
                Charbroil SFB
                GOSM
                MES
                Dutch Ovens and other CI
                Little Chief, Big Chief, No Name water smoker
                Weber 22" gold, Smokey Joe, WSM 22"

Smoked-Meat Certified Sausage Head

sigpic

Comment

I am a newbe here today but I want to say welcome and glad you are here. These are some of the finest people you will ever meat :D oops meet. This is one big family and here to help out on anything at any time. I am not a sausage person yet, that is my next adventure.. Again welcome aboard..
                  Lang and luvin it
                  Jim

Comment

Welcome. These guys and gals will help you, they're a great bunch. :)
                    Dawn

New Braunfels Bandera "Grail"
                    Weber 22.5" Kettle Grill
                    1 Maverick ET-73
                    1 Green Thermapen

member #38

Comment

Welcome twingal! You have a good flock of folks here to help you!

Drinks well with others

~ P4 ~

Comment

Pleasure to have you here.
                        Sunset Eagle Aviation
                        https://www.facebook.com/pages/Sunse...888015?fref=ts <... We sure could use some likes!

Comment

First..welcome to Smoked-Meat's forums. Always great to have a new person looking for help.

Oook..a few questions. How did you serve the sausage you remember? Cold? Cooked? Was it a patty or in a casing? All these have a bearing on how the sausage was made and the ingredients required to make it safe.

And IMHO...apple smoke and pork RULES!

Please fill us in, and we'll have exacting answers for you!
                          In God I trust- All others pay cash...
                          Check out the Mad Hunky and products at https://madhunkymeats.com or https://www.facebook.com/MadHunkyMeats
                          Lang 60D, The Beast, 18 and 22 WSM, Brinkmann Backroads trailer, Weber 22 Kettle, gutted MB burning watts

Comment

Glad to have you with us at S-M, twingal! To echo everyone else, it's really good to have you here! :)

Lang 48 Patio | Brinkmann gourmet charcoal water smoker
                            Yellow Thermapen | Maverick ET-73 | Maverick ET-72
                            sigpic

Comment

Welcome twingal!
                              Lots of really friendly peeps in here with lots of info! You have come to the right place!
                              Happy Smokes

The only one on the block with the super fastest turbo charged

Comment

Working...
                              X