Sou Vide Tri Tip Steak

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sou Vide Tri Tip Steak

Well, it's the maiden voyage as Santa brought me a gift this year. And, it's 4° outside now which will be the high tomorrow btw. So, I had to give this a shot.

To be on the safe side, I made some Spaghetti Aglio E Olio which the whole family loves, probably none more than me .

I got the bath going. At 135° for 4 hours per the web site. It was kind of a tweener cut due to thickness. I added some KS and CBP and a couple of Tbls of Worcestershire sauce and sealed it for a few hours.

Ran it until the alarm went off, put it in a CI pan with a little unslated butter at 575° to sear and:

I foiled it for about 20 minutes. Sliced it and poured the reserved broth from the bag on afterwards. Then, I served dinner:

For a first run, 2 things struck me. 1) I was disappointed in the color of the meat for being "135". I forgot to calibrate the water temp with my thermapen so I'll make sure we're running at the right temp. 2) I was thrilled with the taste and tenderness of the meat. I do this cut all the time so I understood the relative tenderness.

All in all, I really like this thing so far. I figure the true test will be doing a boneless chicken breast and that will convince me.
    Pete
    Large BGE
    Char Broil Tru-Infrared Commercial series

Lookin' good. Great first outing.

I'm still on the fence about ordering one. There's a couple other toys I'm considering too.
    Jim

Comment

Looks awesome from here Pete!
      sigpic

Comment

First off, welcome to the sous vide world! Looks great Pete... congrats on a fine first outing!

I'm a 130 degree kinda guy when it comes to steaks... try that sometime, I think you'll like it. As far as the sear goes, I normally use the Vortex/Weber combo... and of course, it adds a bit of smoke to the flavor. Being that your weather is kinda sucky, CI is a good alternative!

Great job sir!!

Drinks well with others

~ P4 ~

Comment

Looking good! I keep scratching my head on these things!!
          Brian

Certified Sausage & Pepper Head
          Yoder YS640
          Weber Genesis
          Weber 18.5" Kettle
          Weber Performer
          Misfit # 1899

sigpic

Comment

The more I see this method, the more I want to try it. Nice job as usual Pete.
            Lang 36 Patio, a few Webers, 2 Eggs, plenty of gadgets and a MES 40 Gen 2.5 electric for bacon and sausage.
            My best asset however is the inspiration from the members on this forum.

sigpic
            @SmokinJim52 on Twitter

Comment

Thanks guys, I appreciate it.

Also, great advice on 130°. I think that's the ticket and will do that next time.
              Pete
              Large BGE
              Char Broil Tru-Infrared Commercial series

Comment

Nextest tool!...like that!
                Sunset Eagle Aviation
                https://www.facebook.com/pages/Sunse...888015?fref=ts <... We sure could use some likes!

Comment

Looks good

Comment

Nice tri tip, Pete! I have been researching sous vide circulators since it seems to be the up and coming thing. Have some awesome tri tip .
                    sigpic
                    Smoke Vault 24

Comment

Working...
                    X