X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• i've got a pork loin, tender quick and a bunch of desire

O.K. i read through the baccon posts and have a question
    the posts say to cure 1 day for each 1/4 in. from center
    i did not see how to figure how much TQ to use(not to say it is not there)
    do you mix it into your rub or does it go on the meat first and the rub after

and yes this is on my diet
    like CA says baccon does not have to be 70+% fat

11 pounds down 40 to go
    thanks for the help
    Please ignore all spelling errors and typos my pet monkey does all of my corespondence

I have not found where this 1 day/.25 inch thing came from. Morton- the manufacturer of TQ- says 7 days per inch of radius. And I agree, because you can't over cure it if you use the right amount of cure...ONLY UNDERCURE. I need to hire an airplane for skywriting this one day.

Remember also, while it will cure from all sides, the cure does not penetrate the fat cap well. Go with the 7 days/inch. 3" around, 1.5 radius, 10.5 days.

Use 1 TABLESPOON TQ/Lb of meat. You can mix in spices, but REMEMBER..the TQ has all the salt you need...ADD NO MORE in your rub/spice mix.
    In God I trust- All others pay cash...
    Check out the Mad Hunky and products at https://madhunkymeats.com or https://www.facebook.com/MadHunkyMeats
    Lang 60D, The Beast, 18 and 22 WSM, Brinkmann Backroads trailer, Weber 22 Kettle, gutted MB burning watts

Comment

thanks for that answer
      and i do remember seeing you say 7 days per in. .............now that you mention it
      Please ignore all spelling errors and typos my pet monkey does all of my corespondence

Comment

Originally posted by Richtee View Post
        I have not found where this 1 day/.25 inch thing came from. Morton- the manufacturer of TQ- says 7 days per inch of radius. And I agree, because you can't over cure it if you use the right amount of cure...ONLY UNDERCURE. I need to hire an airplane for skywriting this one day.

Remember also, while it will cure from all sides, the cure does not penetrate the fat cap well. Go with the 7 days/inch. 3" around, 1.5 radius, 10.5 days.

Use 1 TABLESPOON TQ/Lb of meat. You can mix in spices, but REMEMBER..the TQ has all the salt you need...ADD NO MORE in your rub/spice mix.

That's some great info.. But do I need to cure Jerky???
        Ken

I Should Have Been Rich Instead Of Being So Good Looking

Comment

Originally posted by Texas-Hunter View Post
          That's some great info.. But do I need to cure Jerky???
          Lol.
          S-M Misfit #16

If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy. ~ Red Green

It's a shame stupidity isn't painful.

GOSM Propane
          CharGriller Kamado Cooker "The Akorn"
          New Braunfels Bandera
          UniFlame Gas Grill
          Lil Chief

Comment

well it is in the fridge

pretend a pic is here
            it looks good
            like raw pork loin with rub on it

TQ, onion, paprica, lemon pepper, CBP

Comment

Originally posted by RowdyRay View Post
              Lol.
              He's pretty good at it too, ain't he?
              Check out the Mad Hunky and products at https://madhunkymeats.com or https://www.facebook.com/MadHunkyMeats
              Lang 60D, The Beast, 18 and 22 WSM, Brinkmann Backroads trailer, Weber 22 Kettle, gutted MB burning watts

Comment

you gotta love friends

always there to support you

Comment

I am not a bacon expert. But i hav done two at the recommendation of a few members i have done them for 10 day no proplem no over cure undercure seems about right to me. Tip on the first one everyone liked it but it tasted like pepperrone. I had either to much garlic or just had garlic. second time took it out still great. PS it did not last 3 days 9 pound in 3 days with 4 people.
                  Originally posted by Richtee View Post

Comment

7 days per inch of radius. And I agree, because you can't over cure it if you use the right amount of cure...ONLY UNDERCURE.
                    Yeah but some of us don't have that kind of patience.
                    I figure anything between 1-3 inches give it a week and it should be well cured.

Regardless of manufacturers recommendations there's this thing called: common sense & experience.
                    Common sense tells me to go by experience and experience tells me that 1/4 inch per day covers pretty much all dry curing - I'm not being sponsored by morton either ;-)

As to how much cure to use - bigtim - it will always tell you on the packet, and it should always be done by weight. (go look at wutangs basic for bacon curing)
                    Long as you get the amount right for the weight of meat, experience will tell you how long after the first few :-)
                    Last edited by curious aardvark; 08-19-2009, 10:09 AM.
                    Made In England - Fine Tuned By The USA
                    Just call me 'One Grind'

Comment

Originally posted by curious aardvark View Post
                      Long as you get the amount right for the weight of meat, experience will tell you how long after the first few :-)
                      BUT...until you HAVE that experience... 7 days per inch of radius. AGAIN..with the correct amount of cure you cannot OVERCURE- just UNDERCURE.

I admit to shaving a day or two off and not had a problem. But then again, I have cured enough meat to keep Marylin Chambers happy ;{)

Comment

Here's a link to the Morton's site with a recipe for Canadian Bacon, they say on this page to cure the loins for 3-5 days. but this recipe doesn't call for smoking it, just slicing and frying.

http://www.mortonsalt.com/recipes/Re...l.aspx?RID=117

Dave

Comment

Trim fat from pork loin. Mix Morton® Tender Quick® mix or Morton® Sugar Cure®
                          (Plain) mix and sugar. Rub mixture into the loin. Place loin in "food grade" plastic bag;
                          tie open end. Refrigerate and allow to cure for 3-5 days. Remove from cure.
                          Soak loin in cool water for 30 minutes; pat dry. Refrigerate uncovered to dry
                          slightly before cooking.
                          Elsewhere on the site they change they're minds again:
                          ngredients
                          One beef brisket, 4-6 lbs
                          5 tablespoons Morton® Tender Quick® mix or Morton® Sugar Cure® (plain) mix
                          2 tablespoons brown sugar
                          1 tablespoon ground black pepper
                          1 teaspoon ground paprika
                          1 teaspoon ground bay leaves
                          1 teaspoon ground allspice
                          1/2 teaspoon garlic powder

Directions

Trim surface of fat from brisket. In a small bowl, mix Morton® Tender Quick® mix or Morton® Sugar Cure® (plain) mix, remaining ingredients and spices. Rub mixture into all sides of brisket. Place brisket in "food grade" plastic bag and tie end securely. Refrigerate and allow to cure 5 days per inch of meat thickness.
                          So according to morton you can either cure for 7 days per inch, 5 days per inch, or do a whole loin in 3 days (and I've never seen a loin yet that wasn't AT LEAST an inch thick)

Well when a company can't even be consistent on it's own website - do you listen to people who have done this and know how long it takes - or a company that doesn't seem to have a clue how to use it's own product.
                          I know what I did - I asked you lot some time ago, and whaddya know it works perfectly every time at 1/4 inch per day
                          Last edited by curious aardvark; 08-19-2009, 10:42 AM.
                          Made In England - Fine Tuned By The USA
                          Just call me 'One Grind'

Comment

Hmmm... Well, I ain't gonna argue. I am going from their book. I guess I could thumb thru Kutas and see what he says.

But still you cannot OVERCURE... ;{)

Comment

sounds like its time to check
                              it has been in ten days

Comment

Working...
                              X