Pickled Fish

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pickled Fish

Ok, talked to dad and I'll do my best to repeat this. It's a lengthy process and if there is any questions, just ask. I will do my best to answer them. Dad does this in a gallon jar. The salt brine will be too much if using smaller jar/s. The final brine will need to be doubled if using a gallon jar. Use your own judgement here.

Filet fish. Remove skin. Cut into approx. 1" pieces.
    Mix 1 Qt. Water and 1 Cup Pickling Salt
    Place fish in jar/s
    Cover with Brine
    Let stand 48 hrs.

Drain and rinse well

Place fish back in jar/s
    Cover with White Vinegar
    Let stand for another 48 hrs.

PICKLING BRINE

2 Cups White Vinegar
    1 tsp. Whole Pepper Corns
    1 tsp. Whole Allspice
    4 bay Leaves (broken)
    1 3/4 Cup Sugar
    2 tsp. Mustard Seed
    1 tsp. Whole Cloves
    3 1/2 Dried Red Chile Peppers (broken up, seeds and all)

Bring to a boil for 5 minutes. Let it cool. Room temp. is best, you don't want to cook the fish.

While the brine is cooling, drain the fish again. No need to rinse this time.

Place fish back in the jar/s
    This time layering with Onion Slices
    You can use as little or as many as you like
    Cover with cooled Pickling Brine
    Let stand for 2 weeks.
    S-M Misfit #16

If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy. ~ Red Green

It's a shame stupidity isn't painful.

GOSM Propane
    CharGriller Kamado Cooker "The Akorn"
    New Braunfels Bandera
    UniFlame Gas Grill
    Lil Chief

That sounds good. Love fish, but never had it pickled..
    Custom Reverse Flow Smoker, WSM 22", Blackstone Griddle 36"

Comment

Thanks.
      I'll have to try it.
      SKOL
      Vman

Comment

A lot of people won't eat carp. This is a great way to prepare it if you do catch it. I love pickled fish and this recipe is a bit different than mine, so I'll try it.
        We do a lot of bow fishing. It keeps our archery skills sharp for deer season. Anyway, carp and gar are favorites for bow fishing, and because I believe in eating everything you kill, you have to find something to do with the less desirable creatures, and pickling is a good way to do it.
        Pressure cooking and canning for fish patties is another great way to preserve carp.

Tom

Comment

I like a bunch fresh cut onion rings in the jar too.

Comment

Originally posted by Gunslinger View Post
            A lot of people won't eat carp. This is a great way to prepare it if you do catch it. I love pickled fish and this recipe is a bit different than mine, so I'll try it.
            We do a lot of bow fishing. It keeps our archery skills sharp for deer season. Anyway, carp and gar are favorites for bow fishing, and because I believe in eating everything you kill, you have to find something to do with the less desirable creatures, and pickling is a good way to do it.
            Pressure cooking and canning for fish patties is another great way to preserve carp.
            Never pickled carp, just the small northerns. Smoked the carp and bullheads.

Originally posted by supervman View Post
            Thanks.
            I'll have to try it.
            SKOL
            Vman
            Your welcome Vman. They're really good.

I'm going up north with him next weekend. He'll bring them with. Always does. Playing cards, cold beer, and plenty of Ritz crackers. I'll eat half that gallon jar. That's ok, we're going back to catch more. He'll just have to fill it again. LOL
            S-M Misfit #16

If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy. ~ Red Green

It's a shame stupidity isn't painful.

GOSM Propane
            CharGriller Kamado Cooker "The Akorn"
            New Braunfels Bandera
            UniFlame Gas Grill
            Lil Chief

Comment

here is mine, very close to yours

Pickled Pike

Cut the fillet into bite size pieces or about 1 1/2 inch chunks. Soak in the starting brine, which is just pickling salt and water at the mix of one cup per quart of water. The recipe says soak in the fridge for exactly two days.

Drain the fish but do not rinse. Place it in the second brine, which is just white vinegar for 24 hours.

Remove fish but don't rinse. The final brine is four cups of white vinegar, 3 cups of sugar, heat this enough to dissolve the sugar. Let it cool. Add one-cup white cooking wine. One fourth cup of pickling spice. Let cool completely and put it on the fish. Add Onions and or peppers as you wish. Or just fish. Place in the fridge for one week before eating. Five days minimum. They will keep for several months in the fridge. This is an easy one and boy is it good. Enjoy.
              Col. Big Guy

Comment

Interesting recipes there.
                The two step starter is new to me, have to give it a go :-)

A lot of people won't eat carp.
                this might come in useful for this month's comp ;-) but carp was the main fish eaten in medieaval england. every monastery had a carp pond for fish friday. Plus as they got bored with fish all the time a number of other things were classified as 'fish' for the purpose of the friday meal: otters, crayfish, lobster, crabs etc. Essentially anything that lived in water, regardless of how many legs it had.

Plus carp is the most eaten fish in china and can arguably be called the first farmed fish.
                Interesting how it's viewed round the world. Usa and canada tend to view it as vermin. uk and europe it's revered as the best coarse fishing trophy fish and you get caught taking them for the pot at your peril lol
                Asia they're the main farmed food fish. And japan they just like looking at them and breeding them in different colours :-)

never heard of them being pickled before, wonder which country that practice hails from.
                Made In England - Fine Tuned By The USA
                Just call me 'One Grind'

Comment

Originally posted by curious aardvark View Post
                  Interesting recipes there.
                  The two step starter is new to me, have to give it a go :-)

this might come in useful for this month's comp ;-) but carp was the main fish eaten in medieaval england. every monastery had a carp pond for fish friday. Plus as they got bored with fish all the time a number of other things were classified as 'fish' for the purpose of the friday meal: otters, crayfish, lobster, crabs etc. Essentially anything that lived in water, regardless of how many legs it had.

Plus carp is the most eaten fish in china and can arguably be called the first farmed fish.
                  Interesting how it's viewed round the world. Usa and canada tend to view it as vermin. uk and europe it's revered as the best coarse fishing trophy fish and you get caught taking them for the pot at your peril lol
                  Asia they're the main farmed food fish. And japan they just like looking at them and breeding them in different colours :-)

never heard of them being pickled before, wonder which country that practice hails from.
                  CA there's a restaurant up in South Omaha, Nebraska called "Joe Tess Place," that serves carp and they are very busy. Not just during Lent either, although there is a line that goes around the building at that time of the year. I have eaten there many times.
                  Here in the Ozarks, they eat hog-nose suckers (cousin to the carp) and prepare it the same way you would a carp.

Tom

Comment

Working...
                  X