White Chocolate Macadamia Nut Toffee

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• White Chocolate Macadamia Nut Toffee

My wife is not a fan of chocolate, other than good white chocolate. She saw something on TV one day about white chocolate toffee. She loves brittle and toffee and adding white chocolate moved this to number 1 on her desire list. So, I was tasked to make it happen.

I have a good supply of Valrhona Ivoire White Chocolate Feves from Amazon and she really likes these. I picked up some macadamia nuts from the grocery store and commenced to making some candy.

Ingredients

3 - sticks - unsalted butter
    1.5 - cups - white sugar
    1/4 - tsp - salt
    1 - can - macadamia nuts (4.5 oz)
    1 - pound - Valrhona Ivoire White Chocolate Feves

I melted the butter in a enameled cast iron pot then added the sugar and salt. I stirred until it reached the boiling point then I let it cook until it hit 300°F. While the sugar and butter was cooking, I prepped a cookie sheet by lining it with parchment paper and coarsely chopping the macadamia nuts. I added3/4 of the nuts to the cookie sheet to be enveloped by the butter toffee and saved the last quarter to be added into the chocolate topping.

When the buttery sugar reached lava stage I poured it onto the parchment paper lined cookie sheet and spread it around a little to fill the pan. I set the pan outside in the 35°F air to cool down.

I melted 1/2 of the white chocolate discs and poured over the cooled toffee then sprinkled the remaining chopped up macadamia nuts over the entire thing. I melted the last half of the chocolate until it was just melted and poured it over the first chocolate layer. I again set the pan out side to cool for 30 minutes. I popped the sugary goodness out of the pan and peeled the parchment paper from the bottom. I tried to use a big chef's knife to cut the candy into bars but its a just tad too brittle to cut cleanly. The stuff tastes great! I gave it to the Mrs and she is now a happy camper.

I flipped some of it over to show both sides.

sigpic

Comment

Not much on sweets but that I could eat...
      Craig
      sigpic

Comment

That looks good.
        Jim

Comment

wow - so you defintiely didn't make a new years resolution to go on a diet

Was the toffee chewy ? Looks more like brittle in the picture.

Actually one thing I used to make a lot when I worked at the mcvities biscuit (cookies, but not really) factory many years ago, was chocolate fudge.
          Boil up a standard fudge syrup - to somewhere between softball and hardball and then drop about half a pound of chopped up chocolate into the mix, stir till the chocolate is eveny distributed and pour into mould to set.
          The chocolate stops the 'toffee' syrup from being chewy and also means you don't have to beat the syrup to develop the tiny crystals that make a good fudge.
          Best chocolate fudge going

I used to use mcvities chocolate - which i 'rescued' from the drip tray of the enrobing machine and bought home in 6-7lb lumps :-)
          But the same thing would work with a decent white chocolate as well.
          White chocolate fudge Hmmmmmmm......

A quick way to make small amounts of fudge or toffee is to do it in the microwave. Just make sure you use the largest glass bowl you own. The syrups - particularly fudge syrups with cream in - forth up 3-4 times their original volume.

Advantange is the syrup reaches temp in a few minutes and maintain it longer so you don't have to rush so much to get it into a mould. Plus you can quickly try out small batches of recipes.
          Made In England - Fine Tuned By The USA
          Just call me 'One Grind'

Comment

Thanks for the tips Alex! Good stuff there.

wow - so you defintiely didn't make a new years resolution to go on a diet
            Actually this was made 12/31, so it's fair game. That's how I roll.

Was the toffee chewy ? Looks more like brittle in the picture.
            You are correct, it is closer to a brittle. Sort of a Heath Bar consistency. Not sure if they have those on your side of the lake. Not quite as hard as peanut brittle but just slightly softer.

Comment

Working...
            X