Started new smoker project

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Started new smoker project

Here 's a few pictures of my new smoker project. One side propane or electric(depends on what the budget allows) the other wood from seperate fire box. just a start for now .
    smoker box 008.jpg

smoker box 013.jpg

smoker box 010.jpg

smoker box 012.jpg
    Bill
    There's room for all of Gods creatures.....Right next to my mashed Potatoes

cool beans.. that thing is huge. can not wait to see the end of the job. how thick is that metal??
    sigpicWal-Mart shopping cart undergoing heavy mods.
    nano second fast camo titanium splash proof thermo pen

need a larger spatula for early morning road kill removal.

As the venomous south American hissing skunk rat is growing fast and needs larger portions.

Comment

Its an old Foster refridgerator/ freezer
      Bill

Comment

Sorta looks like the "BEAST" that Rich is puttzin around with. That will be a real nice smoker.

Comment

Originally posted by SmokinLee View Post
          Sorta looks like the "BEAST" that Rich is puttzin around with. That will be a real nice smoker.
          Heh Yeah... Remember about the insulation between the walls... that was the killer with mine. Din't want to chance it- it was foam. Had to gut it and build an inside box, as I plan on hot smoking.
          In God I trust- All others pay cash...
          Check out the Mad Hunky and products at https://madhunkymeats.com or https://www.facebook.com/MadHunkyMeats
          Lang 60D, The Beast, 18 and 22 WSM, Brinkmann Backroads trailer, Weber 22 Kettle, gutted MB burning watts

Comment

Originally posted by Richtee View Post
            Heh Yeah... Remember about the insulation between the walls... that was the killer with mine. Din't want to chance it- it was foam. Had to gut it and build an inside box, as I plan on hot smoking.
            I was thinking about that ,thought about just adding an inch of some sort of insulation the reskining the interior .or should I remove the foam? I have the door already stripped of the foam plan on a wood frame to support the door skin as it is really flimsy with the foam removed.
            Bill

Comment

Finally finding time

I have finally found time to get back at this project , I have the internal skins bent up, foam insulation out. Now propane or electric?on the one side definatly wood on the other.Electric is proably cheaper to set up temp control wise , propane might be cheaper to run Considering electricty prices in Ontario

Electricity Rates + distribution charges(
              Demand
              Periods RPP Time-of-Use Price Winter Season
              November 1, 2010 to April 30, 2011
              On-Peak 9.9 cents/kWh ----Weekdays 7 a.m. to 11 a.m. & 5 p.m. to 9 p.m.
              Mid-Peak 8.1 cents/kWh--- Weekdays:11 a.m. to 5 p.m.
              Off-Peak 5.1 cents/kWh Weekdays:9 p.m. to 7 a.mWeekends & Holidays:
              All Day

Any Ideas are appreciated
              Bill

Comment

wow that thing looks like it'd survive the apocalypse - mind you looking at your 'yard' maybe it already has

Interested to see how you handle the innards as I'm looking at a similiar type build in the near future.
                Made In England - Fine Tuned By The USA
                Just call me 'One Grind'

Comment

Originally posted by Kamhillbilly View Post
                  I have finally found time to get back at this project , I have the internal skins bent up, foam insulation out. Now propane or electric?on the one side definatly wood on the other.Electric is proably cheaper to set up temp control wise , propane might be cheaper to run Considering electricty prices in Ontario

Electricity Rates + distribution charges(
                  Demand
                  Periods RPP Time-of-Use Price Winter Season
                  November 1, 2010 to April 30, 2011
                  On-Peak 9.9 cents/kWh ----Weekdays 7 a.m. to 11 a.m. & 5 p.m. to 9 p.m.
                  Mid-Peak 8.1 cents/kWh--- Weekdays:11 a.m. to 5 p.m.
                  Off-Peak 5.1 cents/kWh Weekdays:9 p.m. to 7 a.mWeekends & Holidays:
                  All Day

Any Ideas are appreciated
                  figure at least (2) 1500W elements in there just to the massive size. I am running a single 1500 in mine, and i'm worried that won't be enough for my relatively small fridge.

with that being said, and your rate sheet, i would probably opt for propane too. i dunno how you heat your home of if you have gas there or not, but maybe you could/should hook it up to your home supply?

Later,
                  Andy
                  Current babies:
                  -Daughter's 10"x24" RF smoker
                  -RichTee's Lang :)
                  Former Lineup:
                  -Charbroil Santa Fe grill
                  -1954'ish Philco fridge smoker
                  -1950's GE electric fridge smoker in progress (Went to WuTang and will probably never be completed. lol)
                  -enough beer to drown any problem/ailment you may encounter

"if you're gonna be dumb, you gotta be tough"
                  BTW, U of M sucks, Go Big Red! I have bragging rights to 2018!

Comment

Do both

You may be able to set it up as with both heat sources.

My biggest set back with my electric setup is preheating and recovery time, mostly preheating.

I run a 1500 watt element from a wally world electric BBQ grill, and tend to forget how long it takes to "preheat" the my smoker box. Once it is heated, no problems.

Comment

Now that is going to be nice !!!!!!
                      Jerod
                      GOT-Q-4-U bbq team
                      sigpic

Comment

I am starting to lean towards propane , and yes the yard at that time looked like a bomb hit thats what happens with too many things on the go instead of doing one project at a time. Just trying to build with as much recycled(free or cheap) materials as posible to keep the Boss happy as I have not started her greenhouse build yet.
                        Bill

Comment

Originally posted by Kamhillbilly View Post
                          Just trying to build with as much recycled(free or cheap) materials as posible to keep the Boss happy as I have not started her greenhouse build yet.
                          Well, not really a great time to be building a structure now anyway...

Early fall work there.

Propane is a good choice for fast heat recovery I think.
                          In God I trust- All others pay cash...
                          Check out the Mad Hunky and products at https://madhunkymeats.com or https://www.facebook.com/MadHunkyMeats
                          Lang 60D, The Beast, 18 and 22 WSM, Brinkmann Backroads trailer, Weber 22 Kettle, gutted MB burning watts

Comment

Hybrid ...... I like it..... I think I would go propane also, due to the size.... I have 2 electric smokers & love them, but they are small compared to yours & as mentioned the recovery time would probably be much quicker with propane.
                            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Richtee View Post
                              Well, not really a great time to be building a structure now anyway...

Early fall work there.

Propane is a good choice for fast heat recovery I think.
                              Greenhouse is on skids and being fabbed up inside shop , as for propane what is the best way to control temperature ?
                              Bill

Comment

Working...
                              X