My favorite Bourbon finds of 2014 - A Year in Review

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My favorite Bourbon finds of 2014 - A Year in Review

I haven't been a bourbon aficionado since that one night of over indulgence in my early 20's...and that was on some rot gut crap that ruined me for 25 years. Within the last couple of years I have begun to appreciate a nice bourbon, and I thought I would share some of my favorites from this last year.

The best money is no object Bourbon of 2014 - Blantons
    Since this is expensive, there are other Bourbons that I will buy before this one, but for a special occasion, at my house you are going to get a couple fingers of this to enjoy.

The best dollar for dollar quality Bourbon I have found - Elmer T. Lee.
    This compares with Blantons, and at half the price, it is hands down my favorite find for 2014. I have given away half a dozen bottles of this to close friends and people that deserved my generosity. This can be tough to find, so I buy several at a time when they are in stock on the store shelves. Here is a good review of this fine elixer... and since Elmer T lee developed the single barrel process for Blantons, the dude knew what he was doing LINK

My favorite "Cheap" bottle of bourbon - Elijah Craig 12 year
    This was really inexpensive but came to me highly recommended, and now I'm recommending it to you. Even if you don't drink bourbon neet, this has a lot of depth and whatever you are mixing it with will take a back seat to a bold bourbon. This bottle is really cool and a keeper too. it will be filled with homemade BBQ sauce in the near future.

I picked this Woodford Reserve up after a member on here spoke about it frequently (JWBTulsa??) At first this didn't strike a chord with me, but after I had the bottle open a few times, its flavor and depth really blossomed and opened up for me...maybe I need to get a little air in the bottle?? I dunno, but I ended up liking this quite a bit. I hold this slightly below Elmer T lee, but it is in the same price range. I'll keep some of this on hand for those times when me or my buddies want to sample some different amber colored beverages. This ended up being a very good bourbon.

This Eagle Rare was recommended to me and I picked up a bottle. I don't like it as much as Elmer T, but I do like it as much as the Woodford Reserve. Again, a nice sipping bourbon, and a treat for my friends and neighbors.

the one that I just don't understand the mass appeal of...Crown Royal. This has absolutely no taste compared to the fine bourbons above. This was given to me as a gift, but I can't even force myself to use it as a mixer.

That's my burbon year in review...how about posting a tour of your cabinet.
    Last edited by BBQ Engineer; 01-07-2015, 07:32 AM.
    BBQ Eng.

The "Cow Girls" were adopted from the shelter, and found on petfinder.com.
    Adopt a homeless pet - http://www.petfinder.com
    I built the Iron Maiden - Iron Maiden Smoker Build

Over 5000 unreadable posts...Photobucket can kiss my ass...they will never get a dime. I will not pay a ransom.

I don't get the Crown... it's not bourbon?

I drank a bit of it in the day. Over it.

The Elmer is a great find. Blanton's is excellent.

I'm still trying to find some Pappy Van Winkle's, Unobtanium.

As always..you have impeccable taste sir!
    In God I trust- All others pay cash...
    Check out the Mad Hunky and products at https://madhunkymeats.com or https://www.facebook.com/MadHunkyMeats
    Lang 60D, The Beast, 18 and 22 WSM, Brinkmann Backroads trailer, Weber 22 Kettle, gutted MB burning watts

Comment

Very nice,, I would have to add my sausage sipping bourbon,,,,Four Roses.

Comment

Rich it's Canadian Whiskey. Wiser's Deluxe runs anywhere from 23-28 for a half gallon. To me it's as good or better than Crown!

Comment

Originally posted by eccj View Post
          Rich it's Canadian Whiskey. Wiser's Deluxe runs anywhere from 23-28 for a half gallon. To me it's as good or better than Crown!
          Oh..I know. As mentioned..I have been thru my share. Heck..I been to the distillery. It's only an hour from here. Just wondered why it was included in the bourbon list.
          In God I trust- All others pay cash...
          Check out the Mad Hunky and products at https://madhunkymeats.com or https://www.facebook.com/MadHunkyMeats
          Lang 60D, The Beast, 18 and 22 WSM, Brinkmann Backroads trailer, Weber 22 Kettle, gutted MB burning watts

Comment

Oh yeah it was me who spoke of the Woodford Reserve. Best drank at track side at the Kentucky Derby. Currently my favorite is Buffalo Trace. It's a sibling of Elmer. Deep flavor but not sharp. Also easier to get in Oklahoma. Elijah is a handy back up for a quick purchase as well as the upper end of the Four Roses family of beverages. Blanton is a go to if you have the resources. Gonna be down to 12F here in Tulsa tomorrow.. A good Bourbon makes for a handy anti-freeze...
            sigpic

Some days I think Bravo Zulu, other days it's more like Whiskey Tango Foxtrot...

Comment

Ditto on the Woodford Reserve.
              Right now I have some Makers Mark on hand. Knob Creek is another I enjoy.

I once went to a party (in my young & foolish days (as opposed to old & foolish)) & downed a bottle of Crown pretty much by myself, I have no idea how I got home that night. I've not had much Crown since then. Rich is correct, Crown is not a bourbon, it is Canadian Whisky.

I will have to look up those other recommendations of yours, Dana. Thanks.

Not to mention the occasional campfire

My --->
              Paul

Comment

Originally posted by Richtee View Post
                Oh..I know. As mentioned..I have been thru my share. Heck..I been to the distillery. It's only an hour from here. Just wondered why it was included in the bourbon list.
                Yeah Rich...excuse the inference...I know it's not Bourbon...I threw it in because I found so many good ones, and wanted to contrast that with one (Canadian Whiskey) that I just don't understand.
                BBQ Eng.

The "Cow Girls" were adopted from the shelter, and found on petfinder.com.
                Adopt a homeless pet - http://www.petfinder.com
                I built the Iron Maiden - Iron Maiden Smoker Build

Over 5000 unreadable posts...Photobucket can kiss my ass...they will never get a dime. I will not pay a ransom.

Comment

Never understood the Crown Royal thing. Has to be the felt bag. The other is it gained a lot of popularity at a time there was a bourbon glut in the US and people moved away from bourbon for something different

Comment

I probably couldn't afford those. Just got started on Jim beam. Liked the black but drank that bottle to fast so switched to the regular. Rich must be rubbing off on me. In my youth I used to enjoy Old Grand Dad. Can't get it aroundhere now. Someday I'll get to the better stuff.
                    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Ryan View Post
                      I probably couldn't afford those. Just got started on Jim beam. Liked the black but drank that bottle to fast so switched to the regular. Rich must be rubbing off on me. In my youth I used to enjoy Old Grand Dad. Can't get it aroundhere now. Someday I'll get to the better stuff.
                      Ryan, Jim and myself have never, ever, been able to have a nice night with each other.... Usually one of us winds up bleeding, or puking, or in trouble.... I have sworn off hanging out with Jim.

However, about the time Jim and myself had our last falling out, I toured the Jack Daniels Distillery, and was introduced to something known as "Tennessee Whiskey"..... Never looked back. Gentleman Jack and I are real tight these days, when I choose to have a sip of something a bit stronger than BLD....

But, then again, some of those high end bourbons might be pretty good too!
                      Once you go Weber....you never call customer service....

Comment

Originally posted by Richtee View Post
                        I'm still trying to find some Pappy Van Winkle's, Unobtanium.

As always..you have impeccable taste sir!
                        X2, nice reviews Dana

Seen Anthony Boirdain lusting over Pappy Van Winkle's on a few shows. Bucket list!
                        sigpic

Comment

FYI

http://buffalotracedistillery.com/brands/van-winkle
                          sigpic

Some days I think Bravo Zulu, other days it's more like Whiskey Tango Foxtrot...

Comment

That looks like some fine record keeping! Way to take one for the team!!
                            Brian

Certified Sausage & Pepper Head
                            Yoder YS640
                            Weber Genesis
                            Weber 18.5" Kettle
                            Weber Performer
                            Misfit # 1899

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Fishawn View Post
                              X2, nice reviews Dana

Seen Anthony Boirdain lusting over Pappy Van Winkle's on a few shows. Bucket list!

You'll pay dearly for it these days if you can find it. Pappy 23 goes for over 2k on the secondary market which is about the only place you can find it. You should find a bar/restaurant establishment that serves it (also hard to find) and try some to see if you think it's worth the hype. Forget about Boudain and Chang's swooning over it. Pure hype over something that is in limited supply

The older Pappys are overly woody, the 15 yr old is probably the best expression.

Comment

Working...
                              X