X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Chicken Thighs and Chicken Breasts Sous Vide

January 17th - 18th 2015

Chicken Thighs and Chicken Breasts Sous Vide

Friday I was off to the store to pick up some Sick supplies, I had to call out of work, my oldest daughter, Son and Wife have the Flu, Sam and Myself are still OK so far.

I figured that we would all be shut in this weekend so to avoid going stir crazy I decided to pick up some meat for some serious weekend cooking, after looking at the price of a pork loin @ $3.98 a pound I said No way and hit the chicken section. I had two chickens in the refrigerator already to spatchcock and grill.
    After "oogling" at the Thighs and Breasts lol. I figured I would do some Sous Vide cooking. After making the decision that I would Sous Vide all weekend, I also picked up a few chuck Roasts to make some Beef Stroganoff.
    I set up my Sous Vide station then hit a snag, apparently the Immersion Circulator had ceased up so out come the tools, problem fixed but its a bit noisier than before, I'm going to have to look into replacing the motor bearings.

I got the bath up to about 140° or so then fired up the immersion circulator, it will take a couple hours sometimes to settle down and will hold 2/10 of a degree, but adding hot water or ice just takes longer, it works much better to give it a two hour prime, especially if holding a degree is important. By adding Ice and hot water the PID controller gets confused.

First up I prepped the boneless thighs, no trimming or rinsing.

Sage, Basil, Parsley and Sundried tomatoes

Plain

Philly Style Rub

Franks Red hot and Blue Cheese Dressing

Chubb

Next up Bone in thighs with skin, I was trying a recipe Laura's Mom used to make, After I made it I found out she wasn't too big on this recipe, I always thought it was one of her favorites oh well. Thighs were not rinsed or trimmed, If I do these thighs again I would trim the excess fat along the sides to allow for complete browning of the skin.

I took three and spiced with some Basil, Parsley and a pinch of sage.

Everything is Vac Sealed and ready for the bath, the bath is set to 147°F and the boneless thighs will cook three hours, the bone in thighs will cook 4 hours.
    The two spatchcocked birds on the right are for the grill.

The necks and trimmings from the spatchcocked birds are browned for a gravy that will be used on the bone in thighs recipe.

The pan is deglazed with a bit of sweet vermouth then tossed in a pot with a few cups of water then placed on the back burner on low covered.

After three hours at 148°F the boneless thighs are removed from the hot bath and placed in an ice bath for thirty minutes.

All but one of the boneless thigh pouches are placed in the freezer to be used at a later date. The sundried Tomato thighs are up for sampling.

A little air drying then the Thighs are browned in Garlic Olive oil.

I was hoping to keep all three thighs intact for presentation but they were sticking to the pan a bit. I 'll have to pick up some transglutaminase!

How was it? The flavor was good but the texture was tooooo ...dare I say it?... yes I will!! it was too gummy, OMG I HATE THAT WORD! There was definitely too much moisture in the meat for my liking, the mouthfeel was a bit of a turnoff.
    I think the thighs will be better done at 155°F - 160°F next time.
    I did end up making a dish that was excellent with these thighs, I cut the thigh meat into medallions, pan fried and served... much, much better.

The rest of the Sundried Tomato chicken thighs were cut into medallions, browned then vacuum sealed with some Pineapple Habanero sauce and tossed into the freezer for a single meal when I'm eating solo.
    The bone in thighs are removed after 4 hours, I decided to keep these in the bath an hour longer than the boneless but should have bumped the temp up to at least 155°F.

Rendered liquid from vac bags are poured into the gravy pot, necks are removed and the gravy is strained with a fine mesh strainer and placed back on the burner.
    Thighs are browned on both sides with a Mushroom Olive oil and placed in a pan.

A blonde rue is made from the drippings in the pan and poured into the gravy pot, the gravy is tweaked then added to the thighs.

This was pretty good but was actually better the next day reheated in a pan. The texture was much better the next day, the only benefit, for our family, from doing these at 148° is that when they are reheated you don't over cook them too much. Half of the batch was used for dinner and the other half into the freezer in two batches for another day. This should be served on a bed of rice but I didn't feel like making any!

Next up Chicken Breasts for chicken salad and the freezer. Breasts were $1.89 a pound

I did one Breast with Italian Dressing to sample. These were done two hours at 155°. After the thighs, I figured this would be a safe temp for the breast.

This was extraordinary the wife even like it but she said still a wee bit wet for her, it was absolutely perfect for me and the Italian Dressing flavor was slightly noticeable, I was very happy with this.

Two of the breast are placed in an ice bath for thirty minutes and then into the freezer.

Since this was for chicken salad, I did not go crazy on spices, I figured it could be spiced later.
    Two breasts are prepped for Chicken Salad, first I smashed them with my hand.

Then the breasts are shredded with a fork and nasty bits are removed. Garlic Powder, Onion Powder and salt is added.

Chicken is then chopped with a knife.

Shredded, Chopped Chicken is transferred to a bowl and Mayo is added, after mixing and sitting a bit in the refrigerator more mayo will be added. If this was just for me, there would be celery, sundried tomatoes, Minced Onions a pinch of mustard powder, black pepper and crushed red pepper, maybe even sweet relish!

I learned a very valuable lesson this weekend or should I say, it finally sunk into my thick skull. The most important thing I learned (accepted) is that my family prefers chicken with a greater loss in moisture during the cook. A higher moisture content is usually followed with a statement like, "it's too gummy" and as much as I hate that word, they were dead on with the thighs.

I really wanted this to have awesome results, it has proven to be fruitless for chicken compared to grilling, pan frying, or pit cooking for basic chicken dinner, with the exception of the breast meat. Sous Vide cooking can push the extremes as far as reducing moisture loss, sadly it's not a benefit for my family. However I was floored by the quality, mouthfeel and flavor of the Breast meat and the bone in thighs were awesome the next day reheated. Also on another positive note, it does work well when cooking, freezing and reheating.

I will be trying this again soon but at higher temps, thighs 160°F-165°F and breasts 155°F-160°F, but there comes a time when I have to ask myself, "is it worth all the prep when I can simply toss on the grill"?

great post!! Thanks for the info and details!!
    Mustang electric smoker
    King Kooker vertical gasser
    Charbroil silver smoker
    Earnhardt Jr smoker
    Brinkman smoke n' grill
    a-maze-n cold smoker rack

USMC vet 87 - 91

Comment

Good stuff
      sigpic

Comment

I've been doing chicken thigh confit SV. I usually pack 4 thighs in a bag with a little butter, duck fat if you have it with a little thyme and light salt and pepper. Cook at 160f X 8-12 hrs then chill in an ice bath and toss in the fridge until ready to use.

To use, I place thighs in a cast iron pan in a 375-400 oven. Make sure to remove any jelled liquid or it will splatter in the oven. Cook till brown and crisp

Another thing I do often is to just bag a BSCB and cook at 143f X about 2 hrs. Then chill down and refrigerate. Slice these up to make "deli" chicken for sandwiches

Recently did a chicken roll with a full breast

Comment

Scubadoo, thanks for the tips.

I love your presentation and borrowed your idea using the plastic wrap.
          Definitely gonna try the thighs at higher temps.
          What's your thoughts on butter alone as a Confit? Or a substitute for duck fat?

The lowest I can go for chicken breasts is 155° or no one will eat it

Comment

Originally posted by SQWIB View Post
            Scubadoo, thanks for the tips.

I love your presentation and borrowed your idea using the plastic wrap.
            Definitely gonna try the thighs at higher temps.
            What's your thoughts on butter alone as a Confit? Or a substitute for duck fat?

The lowest I can go for chicken breasts is 155° or no one will eat it

SQWIB, butter alone works fine. There is plenty of chicken fat rendered off from the thighs. You probably don't even need the butter. You can see the amount of fat that still is rendered after it cooks in the oven. The higher temp and time for thighs is good because of the amount of connective tissue compared to breasts

The breasts done in the low 140s does not in anyway taste raw. It's just not hard in texture. After chilling down they firm up and are great for slicing. The texture is not unlike deli sliced chicken or turkey. Seared and served hot they would be quite different from a pan sear breast cooked to 165-170 in texture. It's just so foreign to some peoples expectations that they can get past it. Same with people that cook pork to death. That's how it's suppose to taste to them

My last batch of breasts were injected with a 12% brine and left to stabilize overnight in the fridge before going in the 143 bath. Not at all salty but a bit tastier than unseasoned. My son takes a chicken sandwich to work every day so I make a couple each week. I do them from frozen directly from the freezer as well. Just add an extra 30-40 min to your time

There is a good video on Chefsteps for the rolled chicken breast. I think they use some Moo Gloo but it's not necessary.

Sorry Bear. Not over your head. Just a different method of applying heat. Think about how some non Q people's eyes glaze over if you go into detail about Q.

Comment

verrrry interesting!

what a wonderful post! i've never really checked out SV cooking before, so i found it very interesting and informative!

thanks for taking the time to take and post the pix!!!

and, lord have mercy, so much good food! the plate with the pan fried thigh medallions ! (amazing recovery right there, bro! )

& ditto for the thighs in the gravy.

if someone would make me food like that when i got sick, i wouldn't mind getting sick.
              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Bearcarver View Post
                All looks good, but way over my head!!

Bear
                Scubadoo's right, just another means of applying heat.

Originally posted by scubadoo97 View Post
                SQWIB, butter alone works fine. There is plenty of chicken fat rendered off from the thighs. You probably don't even need the butter. You can see the amount of fat that still is rendered after it cooks in the oven. The higher temp and time for thighs is good because of the amount of connective tissue compared to breasts

The breasts done in the low 140s does not in anyway taste raw. It's just not hard in texture. After chilling down they firm up and are great for slicing. The texture is not unlike deli sliced chicken or turkey. Seared and served hot they would be quite different from a pan sear breast cooked to 165-170 in texture. It's just so foreign to some peoples expectations that they can get past it. Same with people that cook pork to death. That's how it's suppose to taste to them

My last batch of breasts were injected with a 12% brine and left to stabilize overnight in the fridge before going in the 143 bath. Not at all salty but a bit tastier than unseasoned. My son takes a chicken sandwich to work every day so I make a couple each week. I do them from frozen directly from the freezer as well. Just add an extra 30-40 min to your time

There is a good video on Chefsteps for the rolled chicken breast. I think they use some Moo Gloo but it's not necessary.

Sorry Bear. Not over your head. Just a different method of applying heat. Think about how some non Q people's eyes glaze over if you go into detail about Q.

Thanks, I am taking notes and gonna do some more experimenting.

Originally posted by wntrlnd77 View Post
                what a wonderful post! i've never really checked out SV cooking before, so i found it very interesting and informative!

thanks for taking the time to take and post the pix!!!

and, lord have mercy, so much good food! the plate with the pan fried thigh medallions ! (amazing recovery right there, bro! )

& ditto for the thighs in the gravy.

if someone would make me food like that when i got sick, i wouldn't mind getting sick.
                Thank you Kindly!

Comment

Originally posted by shellbellc View Post
                  great post!! Thanks for the info and details!!
                  Originally posted by Fishawn View Post
                  Good stuff
                  Thanks guys

Comment

Great thread with lots of good info!
                    Becky

https://www.facebook.com/jennie.r.smith.77?ref=tn_tnmn

Weber 22.5" One Touch Gold Kettle - Black
                    Weber 22.5" One Touch Gold Kettle - Copper
                    1993 Weber 22.5" Master Touch Kettle - Red
                    Weber 18.5" One Touch Silver Kettle - Budweiser
                    Weber Smokey Joe
                    Multiple Dutch Ovens and other Cast Iron
                    Pink Thermapen
                    Purple Thermapen

Comment

Just wanted to post a follow up on the chicken breasts, I sliced them on the slicer after a few days rest in the refrigerator and the meat was incredible, it got the approval from my wife Wow! I will definitely be doing breasts for lunch meat, I may try some transglutaminase.

Comment

SQWIB and scubadoo97, great info for my Sous Vide endeavors. to you both.
                        A few of my favorite things:
                        Good Whiskey
                        Good Food
                        Bad Girls
                        sigpic

NRA Endowment Member
                        Certified Glock Armorer

Comment

A toss on the grill is in order for most any meat cooked SV near as I can tell. Take those thighs to 165 over some coals and BINGO. :{)

Excellent post... Love the sun dried tomato package!
                          In God I trust- All others pay cash...
                          Check out the Mad Hunky and products at https://madhunkymeats.com or https://www.facebook.com/MadHunkyMeats
                          Lang 60D, The Beast, 18 and 22 WSM, Brinkmann Backroads trailer, Weber 22 Kettle, gutted MB burning watts

Comment

Originally posted by Richtee View Post
                            A toss on the grill is in order for most any meat cooked SV near as I can tell. Take those thighs to 165 over some coals and BINGO. :{)

Excellent post... Love the sun dried tomato package!
                            I have been having better luck with pan frying for beef, I have tried grilling and torching, maybe over a chimney of coals. I'm gonna try thighs over direct heat next time.

Best sear to date.

The crust is literally a 1/16" thick without cooking even a tad deeper. Looks like some kind of chocolate topped strawberry dessert...

I will post this up proper when I get a chance

Comment

Working...
                            X