Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I am not trying to be a jerk, but why is SOUS VIDE so great?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I am not trying to be a jerk, but why is SOUS VIDE so great?

Let me make this plain. I am not criticizing the process, practice, or enjoyment of sous vide. I read up on Sous Vide, and I must admit I am a little perplexed. I think part of my confusion comes from tying it into BBQ or especially grilling. I am not seeing the reason to sous vide a steak then grill it. It seems like a lot of extra work. Despite my college degree I freely and openly admit I am not that smart. I have always been taught cooking should be efficient. That goes for costs, presentation etc. Sous vide seems very expensive when I look at equipment required. And not at all efficient when it comes to time. Let me be clear I love the sous vide threads. the food looks fantastic, but in the end I just don't get it. What am I missing.

I am with you.. Phil keeps talking about the food being more flavorful, and cook to precision... and well more juicy... I still am not convinced.. I want to try it before I buy it ya know what I mean?? Maybe one day they will be at Costco... for sample...lol... or if I drive to Delawhere I will stop in and let Phil demonstrate!!
    Brian

Certified Sausage & Pepper Head
    Yoder YS640
    Weber Genesis
    Weber 18.5" Kettle
    Weber Performer
    Misfit # 1899

sigpic

Comment

In my opinion
      Its a process that turns out perfectly cooked food time after time while not relying on the chef having any talent or skill at all...
      Craig
      sigpic

Comment

I like the fact that I can take a very cheap cut of steak and cook it sous vid and have it melt in your mouth like any good rib eye steak. I also love how chicken breasts come out tender an juicy instead of dried out like shoe leather. I don't have the fancy setup for sous vid but when I want something cooked sous vid I use what I already have and it works perfectly.
        Never thought I would be a believer but I guess I am now.

Last edited by devo; 01-22-2015, 06:36 AM.

PBC Drum Smoker
        Bradley Digital 4 Rack
        THE BIG EASY INFRARED TURKEY FRYER
        Miss Piggy Smoker
        Sedona SD-9000 food dehydrator

Comment

okay to break it down a little.

Sous vide is simply a way to apply even temperature to an item of food for an extended period of time.

Like a lot of things that have come into their own with the cheap reliable electronics, cheap temperature controllers have allowed the consistent heating and circulation of water to create a very controllable environment.

Sous vide works much the same as smoking. Low temps for extended period of time to evenly break down muscle tissue.

The big difference between sous vide and smoking is the sealing of the meat in a vacumn pouch. While you use the same temperature for extended periods of time. In smoking the meat isn't sealed so will dry out and lose moisture.

Sous vide cooking gets round this. So the meat is just as well cooked - but retains all it's moisture.

So you get a perfectly cooked piece of meat - to your exact specifications. But with no moisture loss. A quick sear and you've got the juiciest steak going.

I have had a couple of meals cooked with sousvide - including a turducken (I didn't cook them just ate them) and I personally don't like the soft almost mushy texture of meat that's been cooked for very long periods.

But like everything - adjust to personal taste.

But anyway that's the essence of it and why it can (not always) produce great food.
          Made In England - Fine Tuned By The USA
          Just call me 'One Grind'

Comment

I'd like to try it with steaks, someday I'll get one. Like many of us who like to cook, remember when you got your first grill, then a bigger one, then a smoker, then more tools, another grill AND smoker... It's another to experiment with and it seems to be pretty solid. And there are some nice all in one units now.

I don't think it would work with pizza though.......

Comment

And not that we all have a need for this characteristic of it- but food can be held for hours at a specific "doneness" and then just seared and served in 2 mins. think big caters/restos. Din't use it all? Ice bath...into fridge and back in next AM..ready to go.
              In God I trust- All others pay cash...
              Check out the Mad Hunky and products at https://madhunkymeats.com or https://www.facebook.com/MadHunkyMeats
              Lang 60D, The Beast, 18 and 22 WSM, Brinkmann Backroads trailer, Weber 22 Kettle, gutted MB burning watts

Comment

Having no experience with sous vide at present I have to judge by what I read here. Those who try it seem to love it so it certainly has it place in the culinary world. However the process seems to lend itself more to the food service industry, namely banquets. I can see it working really well at a large banquet facility where you have a lot of people sitting down to eat at the same time. The chefs can hit the plates quickly with the seared steaks, chops or chicken breasts without needing to be concerned about the internal temp. With that said for me personally for cooking at home the process time and equipment needed doesn't seem worth while. Just my opinion and worth every cent you paid for it.

Of course I never used to brine birds but loved it after finally trying it so what do I know.
                sigpic

GOSM/propane
                UDS (Cam)/lump
                22.5 Weber Kettle/lump
                Weber Genesis/propane
                Camp Chef Pro 90/ propane

Comment

I guess I could maybe see it for some things( catering or restaurant use mainly), but the time involved for it to work just doesn't add up for me. I eat breakfast at between 6 & 6:30 in the morning, that means I have to get up at 3 to 3:30 to start cooking the raved about perfect eggs. I don't think so. If brining and cooking a chicken breast and it comes out dry, then I need to look at what I need to do to learn to cook better. I'm just not sold on this method. Having to start a steak or other meat 2-3 days ahead of time is not in my cards. I won't leave something cooking and leave it unattended, whether in the kitchen or in a smoker. Just not for me. Personally, I think people should learn more about how to cook properly before they start relying on so many gadgets to do it for them.
                  Same as, if you don't have time to stay home and watch your smoker, then don't light it up, rely on some gadget to watch it, and then complain and ask what went wrong when the food didn't come out right.
                  Sorry for the rant. JMHO-YMMV
                  Jim

Comment

Originally posted by BYBBQ View Post
                    Personally, I think people should learn more about how to cook properly before they start relying on so many gadgets to do it for them.
                    I think you'll find that the proponents of SV cooking here are fairly capable of holding their own in a kitchen or on a smoker "old style" as well
                    Check out the Mad Hunky and products at https://madhunkymeats.com or https://www.facebook.com/MadHunkyMeats
                    Lang 60D, The Beast, 18 and 22 WSM, Brinkmann Backroads trailer, Weber 22 Kettle, gutted MB burning watts

Comment

Originally posted by Richtee View Post
                      I think you'll find that the proponents of SV cooking here are fairly capable of holding their own in a kitchen or on a smoker "old style" as well
                      I'm sure they are great cooks, better than me for sure. But some seem to act like SV is the only way it can be done right. I guess that's what I'm referring to.
                      If it's how they like to cook, more power to them. We all can have our views on this.
                      Jim

Comment

I'm sure they are great cooks, better than me for sure. But some seem to act like SV is the only way it can be done right. I guess that's what I'm referring to.
                        If it's how they like to cook, more power to them. We all can have our views on this.
                        Just Saying

PBC Drum Smoker
                        Bradley Digital 4 Rack
                        THE BIG EASY INFRARED TURKEY FRYER
                        Miss Piggy Smoker
                        Sedona SD-9000 food dehydrator

Comment

But some seem to act like SV is the only way it can be done right.
                          I haven't gotten that feeling on here at all. To me it's a way of enhancing a cook and obviously if you buy one you're going to use it.
                          Lang 36 Patio, a few Webers, 2 Eggs, plenty of gadgets and a MES 40 Gen 2.5 electric for bacon and sausage.
                          My best asset however is the inspiration from the members on this forum.

sigpic
                          @SmokinJim52 on Twitter

Comment

Sorry I voiced an opinion about something on here. It's plain to see if you don't agree with something or say what you think about something then according to certain people your opinion is wrong. Won't make that mistake again.
                            Jim

Comment

It's not a question of SV replacing a smoker, or a grill, or an oven. It's the point of it AUGMENTING them. Its just another tool, and has it's own particular characteristics that cannot be duplicated in any other fashion. And some of these characteristics are quite useful...and very convienient.

Soo.. before I just surrender to people have their mind set and probably have not even experienced the method- let me just say no one has a gun to your head here. But I WOULD suggest you DO try it, especially on the things it excels at cooking.

Comment

Working...
                              X