Step by Step Pickled Sausages

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Step by Step Pickled Sausages

I know i did this before, but i was asked to do a more thorough step by step tutorial............PIC heavy, but i did that on purpose for those of us that NEED a step by step for doing it the first time.

NOW FOLKS.......a bit of a disclaimer here. THIS IS HOW I DO IT !
    and it werks for me. Others may want to can using a pressure cooker/water bath. The meat used is precooked, and the veggies raw. So nothing needs to be cooked.

NO ONE"S DIED YET !............but i am sure one or two of you will feel the need to chime in on that, as usual.

I made up 4 Quarts of these bad boys................

List of Ingrediant:

Several Various types of pre cooked sausages. But you can use just one type if you so choose. This time, i had some freshly made sausages, that i smoked to temp.

Several Types of Vegatables. Your choice.

Pickling Spices. either pre-made, like the tones pickling spices that i used or your own blend.

Brown Sugar

Apple Cider Vinegar

Water.......DUH !

4 Quart Bell of Mason Jars. wide mouth or the smaller mouth is fine. But you really need to use one of these two for safety purposes. They are made for canning.

NEW lids.......you can NOT reuse lids. Another safety precation.

Bands. the jar bands i am talking about....I used new bands, but you can reuse these.

Red Food Coloring.....optional

non reactive pot, to make up the brine.

Large Container for boiling the quart jars in.........

Tongs...........don't have jar lifting tongs

paper towels

dry kitchen towel

funnel

ladel

Making these up for the gathering. The longer they sit, the better they get.

OKAY........Lets Sart

The meats i used

I used 3 fresh Italian Sausages, that i smoked.......a Beef Smoked Sausage Ring.......Polish Keibalsa........ Polish Sausage.......and Lil Smokies.....pic shows Vienna's, but they are TOO much like a hot dog, and that didn't werk out well AT all, the last time i tried using em........got too mushy.

The Veggies

Several different types of peppers outta my neigbor's garden........no CLUE what is what.......but i know some are hot wax, and others sweet nanners......but you can see the 4
    Thai's. Two Med. Onions. But the veggies are YOUR choice on what you use. Japs didn't make it into this pic, but they are shown in the Ingrediants pic.

The rest of the stuff...........

Apple Cider Vinger, Brown Sugar, and Tones Pickling Spice. But the spices you use is up to you.........I have seen several nice recipes for picklings here.

The Ingrediants:

Next Step, get the jars/lids into the water.........i covered these up with water.

Now while the water comes up to boil, i will start the brine.

a non-reactive pot

for four quarts jars i used:

7 cups of Cider Vingegar

2 cups of water

2 cups Brown Sugar

2.5 tblspns of Pickling Spice

20 drops of Red Food Coloring (optional)

Bring all this to a boil in the pot, and then simmer for 5 minutes.

By now, hopefully, the jars have boiled for awhile. Take one out carefully

Place on a dry kitchen towel. *WARNING* the jar is HOT !

now its time to start filling these bad boys up.

I started with the onions. As you can see, i did NOT dice these, but a VERY coarse chop.

then some peppers..........

but DON"T forget the tai........one for each jar..........

then a variety of meat

pack em in abit.........

next more veggies

then some more meat/veggies to the top.....press em down some

now its time for the brine.

Place a funnel in the top of the jar. We dont have a canning funnel, but will be getting one soon! You may have to more some of the stuff in the jar to the side abit, to get the funnel in the jar.

Now move the brine pot close to the jar, to make it easier to fill em. Take your ladel, and start filling up the jars. *WARNING* the brine is HOT !

Fill to a 1/2 inch of the top of the jar. Take a paper towel, and make sure you wipe off any vinegar that mite of gotten on the jar lip. *WARNING* VERY IMPORTANT STEP ! ! ! The vinegar WILL degrade the rubber seal, and you WILL lose the seal.

Now get a jar lid outta the boiling water.........place on top of the jar, and seal it with the band. Thats it! After awhile, as they will cool, you will here em POP! This means the jars sealed. OR you can do like my WIFE did today, and after bout 1/2 hour, press down on the middle of the lid, and it will "POP" down. This means, as i said, its sealed.

Heres the final product. after it kewls, will put into the fridge to wait for the gathering. Putting em in the fridge is MY decision. These are SEALED !
    They will be fine stored at room temp.

Thank you for checking out my thread.
    Last edited by Walking Dude; 08-11-2009, 06:31 PM.

let us not cry because we lost someone, but let us smile because we enjoyed their company for what time was allowed us!

NO ONE"S DIED YET !............but i am sure one or two of you will feel the need to chime in on that, as usual.
    Why so cynical?
    Oh yeah, I'm writing from beyond the grave. I ate these sausages and died a horrible, painful death. Dude thought I would be silenced, but through the miracle of spirit channeling, I am able to use the body of one of our Boston terriers to speak to you. dvfjkDSJ FPOPDOI..............sorry. Damn fleas.

Anyway, Dude, it looks darn good, and I'm going to try these after my wife is finished with her canning. I have bought many jars of pickled sausages and never though to do them myself until I looked at this the first time.
    for a great lesson in pickling.

Tom

Comment

WD....Man I thank ya! Look's good! Make's it ez to show the guy's at work!
      Sunset Eagle Aviation
      https://www.facebook.com/pages/Sunse...888015?fref=ts <... We sure could use some likes!

Comment

They look great Dude.Thanks for the tutorial.
        Keith

Comment

I had to give you points for the tutorial, WD! Good looking sausages.
          sigpic
          Smoke Vault 24

Comment

dude
            thanks for the post ..i was going to try this weekend....i have all the stuff to do this but the pickling spice...would i need this or can i just use vinegar water and sugar....
            Mike
            Oklahoma City
            22.5 Generic (gettin ready to be dismantle for the Drum) Kettle Grill
            Weber 22.5 Performer
            GOSM 3405gw
            Boomer Sooner Drum
            Maverick ET-732
            Various Cast Iron Skillets and Dutch Ovens
            A-MAZE-N 6X6 Smoker

Comment

Originally posted by doctor phreak View Post
              dude
              thanks for the post ..i was going to try this weekend....i have all the stuff to do this but the pickling spice...would i need this or can i just use vinegar water and sugar....
              i don't see why not, but i am NOT a pickling expert. I imagine, its mostly used for flavor.

let us not cry because we lost someone, but let us smile because we enjoyed their company for what time was allowed us!

Comment

dude
                Mike, i just googled pickling..........pickling is using either vinegar or salt. So it seems to me the spices are just for flavoring.

Comment

dude
                  Pickling spice recipes should be on the net. Easy to make, and you probably have most of the stuff on hand. Lots of whole spices. I made a batch from a recipe in the book "Charcuterie".
                  Keith

Comment

I will have to make a bunch for this next comeing deer season. Thanks again DJ Old Hippy

Comment

one thing i DID forget to add.............GARLIC CLOVES !

that won't happen again

Comment

Nice job Steve. I've used this recipe 4 times now. Talk about good stuff and simple to make!

sigpic
                        Brinkman SnP-w/mods
                        ECB
                        GOSM
                        MES for sticks and sausage
                        30 yr old Weber Kettle
                        Brinkman gasser

Comment

Great step by step, WD!

Dave
                          CUHS Metal Shop Reverse Flow
                          UDS 1.0
                          Afterburner
                          Weber Performer
                          Blue Thermapen
                          Thermoworks Smoke with Gateway
                          Thermoworks Chef Alarm
                          Auber Smoker Controller
                          Proud Smoked-Meat Member #88
                          -
                          "All welcome, take what ya need, share what ya know. " -- Richtee, 12/2/2010

Comment

WD--How long have you been able to keep these around after making them, either refrigerated or not, without spoilage? How long should they sit before you start eating them after first making them?

Poi-nts for sharing the recipe, only two years overdue from me!

Comment

Originally posted by Que-ball View Post
                              WD--How long have you been able to keep these around after making them, either refrigerated or not, without spoilage? How long should they sit before you start eating them after first making them?

Poi-nts for sharing the recipe, only two years overdue from me!
                              I kinda doubt he'll be back to reply.

Given the content of the liquid, they'll prolly be snacks for the cockroaches that will inherit the earth. I guess I'd give the raw veggies a par-boil for a min tho, just in case.
                              In God I trust- All others pay cash...
                              Check out the Mad Hunky and products at https://madhunkymeats.com or https://www.facebook.com/MadHunkyMeats
                              Lang 60D, The Beast, 18 and 22 WSM, Brinkmann Backroads trailer, Weber 22 Kettle, gutted MB burning watts

Comment

Working...
                              X