Poor. Mans SV fail

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Poor. Mans SV fail

so gots to thinking.....why can't I do a poor mans SV?

So I vac packed 3 pork chops and threw them in a pan of water and brought to a boil.
    I let the stuff cook on a very low roll boil for about 1 1/2 hours.

About an hour in the bags puffed up and the juices pooled in the bottom of the bag.

We tried to eat them but they were as dry as a popcorn fart!

So my question is...does boiling the vac bag cause it to puff up and is that PART of the reason SV is done at less than boiling temps?

At a low boil, the water was probably too hot Maybe it would work if u got a thermapen and try to keep that water at the temp you want. It may require standing by the pot the entire time keeping monitor of your temp and cooling off with ice if it gets to hot.
    Yoder YS480
    Maverick 732
    Tappecue
    Thermapen

Comment

Or....
      Craig
      sigpic

Comment

Yeah... you can't do that. Temps for chops would have been in the 135-145 area. Sounds like the seals broke as well perhaps.
        In God I trust- All others pay cash...
        Check out the Mad Hunky and products at https://madhunkymeats.com or https://www.facebook.com/MadHunkyMeats
        Lang 60D, The Beast, 18 and 22 WSM, Brinkmann Backroads trailer, Weber 22 Kettle, gutted MB burning watts

Comment

Ya seals would have to go to allow them to puff!
          Oh well, they were just three little chops! Now I know!

Comment

You might try this, this is an excerpt, the whole article is here:
            http://www.seriouseats.com/2010/04/c...vide-hack.html

Here's how it works: A beer cooler is designed to keep things cool. It accomplishes this with a two-walled plastic chamber with an air space in between. This airspace acts as an insulator, preventing thermal energy (a.k.a. heat) from the outside from reaching the cold food on the inside. Of course, insulators work both ways. Once you realize that a beer cooler is just as good at keeping hot things hot as it is at keeping cold things cold, then the rest is easy: Fill up your beer cooler with water just a couple degrees higher than the temperature you'd like to cook your food at (to account for temperature loss when you add cold food to it), seal your food in a plastic Ziplock bag*, drop it in, and close your beer cooler until your food is cooked. It's as simple as that.

*FYI: The air in a plastic bag can be removed by slowly dipping the open bag with your food in it into the water, sealing it just before the water starts to pour inside. It's not as air-free an environment as a vacuum-sealed bag, but it's enough to keep the food submerged, and in contact with the water, which is all that's really important.

Comment

You want to SV pook chops @ 125/130° - 140°ish. You was at 211°, game over! As in way overcooked.
              SV is low and slow with H2O. Kinda why it does work well with some things to grill or smoke later.
              It requires very close, consistent temp control. You can't get that on a stove top. With the time required it doesn't take too much of a temp error to way over or way under cook.

On edit, it they "puff" the temp is too hot! Never had that happen and should not happen. Means ya boiled some the water in the bag.
              Mark
              sigpic

"Likes smokey old pool rooms, clear mountain mornins. Little warm puppies, children and girls of the night"?
              Smoked-Meat Certified Sausage Head!

Comment

Originally posted by Mark R View Post
                You want to SV pook chops @ 125/130° - 140°ish. You was at 211°, game over! As in way overcooked.
                SV is low and slow with H2O. Kinda why it does work well with some things to grill or smoke later.
                It requires very close, consistent temp control. You can't get that on a stove top. With the time required it doesn't take too much of a temp error to way over or way under cook.

On edit, it they "puff" the temp is too hot! Never had that happen and should not happen. Means ya boiled some the water in the bag.
                If you have and want to spend the money you can do this on a stove top
                http://www.fastcodesign.com/3041159/...-vide-machines

PBC Drum Smoker
                Bradley Digital 4 Rack
                THE BIG EASY INFRARED TURKEY FRYER
                Miss Piggy Smoker
                Sedona SD-9000 food dehydrator

Comment

Originally posted by devo View Post
                  If you have and want to spend the money you can do this on a stove top
                  http://www.fastcodesign.com/3041159/...-vide-machines
                  Me thinks an Anova is just a bit cheaper and easier to use. Plus ya don't have to but all new cookware.
                  Mark
                  sigpic

"Likes smokey old pool rooms, clear mountain mornins. Little warm puppies, children and girls of the night"?
                  Smoked-Meat Certified Sausage Head!

Comment

Originally posted by Mark R View Post
                    Me thinks an Anova is just a bit cheaper and easier to use. Plus ya don't have to but all new cookware.
                    Anova for sure... very versatile and very accurate.

Yeah, you definitely over cooked those chops...

Drinks well with others

~ P4 ~

Comment

Working...
                    X