Some More Sous Vide Questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Some More Sous Vide Questions

So I've been reading through the threads and looking at the Anova Sous Vide Immersion Circulator on Amazon and I have some more questions for sous vide folks.

So I know (or I think I know) that it is a time PLUS temperature thing but what is the average bath time for say steaks versus pork chops versus chicken versus fish? Do some meats benefit from more time at the set temp than others? Are some meats more prone to get mushy if left in too long? How long is too long? I imagine that depends on the meat.

I'm thinking this would be awesome for our household as I am usually home several hours before Mrs. DDave. I could put something going at lunch and it would be ready in the evening. Depending on what it is, a quick trip into the hot cast iron skillet would be a nice finishing touch or a quick trip over the Vortex.

I've got a birthday coming up but just spent a chunk on a refurbished HP Proliant DL380 G5 server. I'm working on a Vmware Certification and that will enable me to build a home virtual lab in order to prepare for the exam.

But Mrs. DDave likes it when I cook so maybe I'll be able to go to the well twice in a short amount of time.

Dave
    CUHS Metal Shop Reverse Flow
    UDS 1.0
    Afterburner
    Weber Performer
    Blue Thermapen
    Thermoworks Smoke with Gateway
    Thermoworks Chef Alarm
    Auber Smoker Controller
    Proud Smoked-Meat Member #88
    -
    "All welcome, take what ya need, share what ya know. " -- Richtee, 12/2/2010

I bought a Sansaire and it comes with a reference table for all meats. The good thing is they can stay in longer and won't overcook.
    Lang 36 Patio, a few Webers, 2 Eggs, plenty of gadgets and a MES 40 Gen 2.5 electric for bacon and sausage.
    My best asset however is the inspiration from the members on this forum.

sigpic
    @SmokinJim52 on Twitter

Comment

Proteins won't overcook but will have different textures the longer they are in.

Comment

Dave here is a chart
        http://www.sousvidesupreme.com/en-us...mperatures.htm

Not the end all answer, but a starting guide. It has a guide for most foods.
        It's time at temp, the finished desired temp. So you can never overcook....within reason. If you let it run for 4 days the result might not be, umm as desirable.
        It's best to use a vac bag, but not absolutely necessary. A vacuum is not necessary, you just need to remove all the air so the water is in contact with all of the product (through the plastic). But a vac sealer makes it much easier.

It also allows you to "cook" some things you cannot cook any other way. Such as;
        Pasteurized eggs
        Pasteurized chicken

In my case it allows me to make things like "Pâté de Campagne". Because of the poultry content it needs to reach 150.1° for a certain period of time. BUTT not reach 154°, as that would render the fat and ruin it.

Yes you can do some of this with an induction top.....that's a different subject and thread.
        Mark
        sigpic

"Likes smokey old pool rooms, clear mountain mornins. Little warm puppies, children and girls of the night"?
        Smoked-Meat Certified Sausage Head!

Comment

The other real cool thing is that you can bag, cook in advance and freeze.
          When you are ready to use it, pop it back in the circulator, still frozen, for a bit and eat!
          Mark
          sigpic

"Likes smokey old pool rooms, clear mountain mornins. Little warm puppies, children and girls of the night"?
          Smoked-Meat Certified Sausage Head!

Comment

Good info here and you can find all kinds of cooking tables on the web. Anova, Sous Vide Supreme, Sansaire and PolyScience all have a lot of info. I'm a beginner myself and have an Anova Precision. It's great for reheating things, we've done pulled pork, Prime Rib and a few others frozen vac bags of food. Cooking, so far great for steaks and amazing for fish. Steaks were thick, gave them about two-three hours, fish was about an hour and comes out, oh so good. This weekend I'm experimenting with rump roasts, I have two about two pounds each and put them in yesterday around 4:00. I'm going to pull one at 24 hours and sear the outside on the Weber and sample it. If it's awesome I'll pull the other, if not tender enough I'm going to let the second one go another 24 hours and see how it turns out ...... great, mushy, dry, etc. If you like to try new things I highly recommend it, the steaks were great and the fish, well, not sure but so far, for Halibut and Rough we're sold. I need to try salmon soon and I believe I will still just sear tuna, don't see a bath advantage for tuna yet.

Comment

Originally posted by mross61 View Post
              Proteins won't overcook but will have different textures the longer they are in.
              yeah you CAN overcook meat i a water bath. It turns out soft and mushy. I don't like it.

If you like ribs with fall-off-the-bone meat, you'd prtobably like over cooked sous vide more than I do.

I like meat that you can actually bite, rather than suck :-)
              Made In England - Fine Tuned By The USA
              Just call me 'One Grind'

Comment

A Practical Guide To Sous Vide Cooking will help you get started and answer many of your questions.
                sigpic
                Fully Accessorized Primo XL Oval,
                -BBQ GURU DigiQ DX2,
                -AMNPS
                -And various other do-dads, gimmicks,
                gizmos and hornswaggles

Comment

Thanks for the replies and the link.

Lots of good info there.

Dave
                  CUHS Metal Shop Reverse Flow
                  UDS 1.0
                  Afterburner
                  Weber Performer
                  Blue Thermapen
                  Thermoworks Smoke with Gateway
                  Thermoworks Chef Alarm
                  Auber Smoker Controller
                  Proud Smoked-Meat Member #88
                  -
                  "All welcome, take what ya need, share what ya know. " -- Richtee, 12/2/2010

Comment

Tough cuts require long cooking times at lower temps and are less prone to drying out or becoming mushy. Tender cuts are the ones to pay closer attention to. Don't over cook in time or temp

Comment

Working...
                    X