Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Which Cut of Meat Is Least Likely to Make You Sick?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Which Cut of Meat Is Least Likely to Make You Sick?

Which Cut of Meat Is Least Likely to Make You Sick?

When it comes to foodborne illness risk, steaks, cold cuts, and chicken nuggets are not created equal.

—By Kiera Butler
    | Mon Jan. 26, 2015 6:00 AM EST

Every time you eat, you're rolling the germ dice. According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, 1 in 6 Americans contracts a foodborne illness annually; 128,000 are hospitalized, and 3,000 die. Pathogens from meat kill more people than those from any other food group. A CDC study found that between 1998 and 2008, contaminated meat was responsible for 29 percent of all deaths from foodborne illness (23 percent of deaths were from produce, 15 percent from dairy and eggs, and 6.4 percent from fish and shellfish).

Most carnivores don't let the risk of sickness stop them from eating meat—and a lot of it. The average American eats nearly 271 pounds of meat a year. But here's the good news: When it comes to foodborne illness, not all meats are equally risky. So which kinds are safest? A few tips for choosing the least germ-ridden cuts:

link to article
    ~All that is gold does not glitter ~ Not all those that wander are lost~
    ~20" Yoder "Swiss Army Knife" Stick Burner~

well if you're on holiday in a country without decent sanitation then salads and fruit will always make you ill.
    They wash the stuff in the water.

But a seared lump of meat will be safe most of the time :-)

The actual asnwer would be: any food that's not been handled or cooked correctly.

But best to avoid salads - just in case
    Made In England - Fine Tuned By The USA
    Just call me 'One Grind'

Comment

The safest? The cut of meat that is cooked to FDA recommended minimum internal temps.
      Smoke it.. and they will come!

Rob
      Recipes & Smokes in HD Video
      SmokingPit.com

Yoder YS640
      Yoder Wichita
      Arizona BBQ Outfitters Scottsdale
      Camp Chef FTG600 Flat Top Griddle
      Blackstone 22" Flat Top Griddle

Comment

Yup----I will not be cutting down on my Hot Dog Consumption any time soon!!!

Bear
        Vietnam Vet---9th Inf. Div. Mekong Delta (1969)
        Easy to follow Step By Steps: Pulled Cured Boston Butt Ham and Buckboard Bacon--Smoked Salmon-- Bacon-On-A-Stick--Bacon (Extra Smokey)--Boneless Cured & Smoked Pork Chops & CB--Canadian Bacon & Dried Beef--Ham Twins (Double Smoked)--Double Smoked Hams X 4--Bear Logs (All Beef--Unstuffed)--Smoked Bear Loaf (All Beef-Mild Hot)--Prime Rib (My Best ever)--Another Prime Rib--Chucky (Pulled Beef)--Twin Chuckies--Pork and Beef Spares--Rare Beef (for Sammies)--Raspberry Chiffon Pie---

Mom & 4 Cub litter---Potter County, PA:

Comment

SPAM.

Comment

Sounds like a vegan article!
            Primo oval xl, Weber22.5 kettle, 22.5 Weber proforma

Fat Drunk and stupid is no way to go through life son!" Dean Wormer, Faber College 1962

Comment

Without reading the article, I can tell you its more than likely cold cuts. Usually from Listeria. Because they are considered a "ready to eat food", they tend to be consumed usually without any sort of a "kill step", and L. mono loves the moist cool environment inside the packaging.
              Once you go Weber....you never call customer service....

Comment

I had to read the article just to find out. Any info provided by Mother Jones, using info from a Center for Science in the Public Interest, should be considered biased and while not entirely untrue.......
                Once you go Weber....you never call customer service....

Comment

It's not just meat.
                  To keep up on the latest in food born illness subscribe to Food Safety News.
                  A new email will arrive in your inbox daily regarding recalls, shutdowns, and food born illness.
                  sigpic
                  Fully Accessorized Primo XL Oval,
                  -BBQ GURU DigiQ DX2,
                  -AMNPS
                  -And various other do-dads, gimmicks,
                  gizmos and hornswaggles

Comment

One that I harvested myself, processed myself, and prepared myself. Keep the assembly line and all the other bs out of it.
                    Charbroil SFB
                    GOSM
                    MES
                    Dutch Ovens and other CI
                    Little Chief, Big Chief, No Name water smoker
                    Weber 22" gold, Smokey Joe, WSM 22"

Smoked-Meat Certified Sausage Head

sigpic

Comment

Avoid salads.
                      Made In England - Fine Tuned By The USA
                      Just call me 'One Grind'